Neurology Expert Forum
Sharp pains in back of head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Sharp pains in back of head

I'm 33 years old and back in 1992 while at work started to get severe stabbing pains in the back right side of my head. They got so bad I drove myself to the emergency room. They did a spinal tap and blood work everything was ok. They gave me Lortabs for the pain (did help) Every year for 4 years at the same time of year (December) got the same thing not as bad as the first time then they went away completly. Started up again about 2 years ago went to the doctor he said the cause is unkouwn but it usually happens to people between the ages of 20 to 35. He didn't do anything for me. Just last week went to see him because it was pretty bad and still is he told me the same thing. I have not slept in 2 nights nothing helps the pain and I can't stand it anymore. Is there anything that I could tell my doctor that would make him maybe run some tests or give me something for the pain at least. He's not one for prescribing pain meds but I need to do something I have 4 children and I can't go on like this any longer. Any advice would be greatly appriectated. Thank you.
Without examinging you, and reviewing your history, I cannot provide a diagnosis. You can ask your doctor to refer you to a neurologist for further evaluation. These headaches could be consistent with cluster headache, which is a headache which can occur at specific times of the year. It is associated with severe pain, which typically occurs from sleep, and may have associated tearing, runny nose, or flushed skin. Other headaches such as tension headache, a migraine variant, and ice pick headaches can be also considered. A MRI of the brain may be performed depending on what the neurologist finds. Good luck
Hi. Since the end of March, this year I have been having horrible , life changing pains in the back of my head, and my GP did test after test, and nothing. Next I went to my Neurologist, I have Multiple Sclerosis too, and described my symptoms, and tests and he went to the small bumps at the back of my head and mashed on them, which sent me through the roof, and immediately told me that I have Occipital Neuralgia. Maybe you could go to a Neurologist if your doctor won't listen, if you ask him about ON.
Good luck to you.
I am a 50 yr. old female that was diagnosed with a complicated migraine in January of this year. CT, MRI with contrast, and various other blood work up done, all resulting with negative results. Since the onset I have had pain at the back of my head,left side,base of skull,slight tingling in face on leftside,
with slight dizziness. On onset severe vertigo and numbness in left arm, hospitalized for possible stroke due do weakness and walking to right side. Full left side paralyzed. With pt have regained use of left arm yet still have gait problem and this dull head pain with dizziness, somedays worse than others. Taking Zocor, Ecotin. Yesterday headpain scale of aboout a 6, dizzines and balance off. The doctors have labeled me a question mark, neurologist signed me off. They did back MRI to see if pinched nerve causing leg numbness, showed bulges yet no pinched nerves. MRI of brain showed small cyst that they are not concerned with. Am I showing signs of Als or MS or am I just a waccadoo? Never had any health problems prior to January. Don't want to become a Lab rat and don't know where to turn from here.
A related discussion, Overcoming Anxiety was started.
A related discussion, pain in back of head behind left ear was started.
A related discussion, concerned of persisting symptoms was started.