Neurology Community
Sharp shooting pain in foot?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Sharp shooting pain in foot?

Help.  I have been having a sharp shooting pain in my right foot for a couple of months.  At first it was every couple of weeks.  The last few days it has been about 3 times a day.  When it occurs it seems like it is towards the top of my foot in the middle and last about 15 seconds.  It is a pain that makes me stop whatever I am doing because it hurts so bad.  It almost reminds me of a charlie horse but it feels like it is in my bone not my muscle.  I am a 39 year old woman and I am healthy and weigh the average amount for my age and height.  I live in a cold dry climate and it snows for about half of the year.  I was in a car accident when I was 16 and my right foot was broken and had pins and plates which they removed a year later.  There is a small bump which feels like bone on top that has always been there but has never hurt to the touch and does not now either.  I didn't want to go to the doctor and get xrays because my insurance is horrible and pays for nothing.  I will go if necessay of course but I was hoping for some possible insight on this sudden ailment.

Sharp shooting pain in the leg might be due to disease of the lumbar spine. Since you also mention a past injury, it is possible that a nerve was injured then. If you are able to toleratethe pain, it is ok, but if not, you might have to consult a doctor. This is important because the symptoms are getting worse.

Regards
Thanks for the help.  It isn't in my leg.  It is only on the top of my foot kind of between the third and fourth toe & near my toes but not in my toes at all.  It has been happening more often now and afterward there seems to be some tingling on the top of my foot at the surface.  This is newer... the tingling

Even the pain and tingling near the toe indicates nerve involvement, though one covering a smaller area. These are known as positive sensory symptoms, can be caused by nerve compression near the spine.

However, this may also be caused by diabetes, thyroid disease, Vit B12 deficiency, peripheral vascular disease (most often caused by smoking). The development of tingling indicates that there is a worsening of the disease. Please consult your GP to delineate the cause of the nerve involvement and then you can visit a specialist.

Do keep me posted on the developments
Thanks for the info... I have made an appointment with my GP for tomorrow and I am going to see my chiropractor today.  Do you think the chiropractor will help and maybe cancel the GP appt until I see how this goes?  I have never been big on medicating myself and I fear this is what they will offer.  I guess I have a bit of a fear of doctors. :( But of course I will go if it would help this stop.  For the last two days it has been happening hourly.  I have never smoked and my mom mentioned B12 as well.  Would B12 possibly stop this from happening as much?
Oh also to give you more info, I have no lower back pain but always tight shoulders and some neck pain but never enough to really bother me or go to a chiropractor on a regular basis.

Please do not be worried of going to a doctor. You may try going to the chiropractor and also visit your GP because you have already taken the appointment. Knowing the cause of the problem will help you tackle it better.

It is possiblethat B12 may help, and as there is no harm in taking it, you may go for that. In addition, it is important that you take healthy well balanced diet. This will help keep away other vitamin and mineral deficiencies.
I think more than anything, it is the cost with the dr. that I fear :) I try to eat healthy and I have been taking a multi vitamin daily.  How much B12 do you suggest I take daily?
Just wanted to let you know, I went to the chiropractor and he said my lower back was out of alignmnet quite a bit.  I had forgotten that I slipped on ice a couple of months ago and fell pretty hard on my right side.  Before adjusting me yesterday afternoon... I had had 22 times of the shooting pain in one day.  After the adjustment last night, I had it 3 times and only once today!  So a huge improvement.  I am going back in for further treatment with the chiro. but cancelled the dr. appt. for now.  Thank you for all of your help :)