Neurology Community
Sharp stabbing pain on top of head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Sharp stabbing pain on top of head

I've been experiencing sharp stabbing pains on the top part of my head between the frontal and parital bones.  It started on the left now i'm starting to get them on the right.  When I get them it only last about 1-2 seconds but it's almost like i've been shocked.  So of course being the worry wart that I am I start thinking the worst and send myself into a full blow panic attack (of course this doesn't help it any).  They come and go but happen several times a day.  My head doesn't hurt to touch.  I've been to the doctor as well because i've been having alot of ear pain and sinus problems.  I mentioned this to her but she didn't seem concerned but is sending me for a CT.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing the pains, could it been related to my ears and sinuses?  Thank you
I get that symptom, isn't it annoying? You describe it so well! I started getting those short stabs directly on the top of my head when I was discontinuing Paxil, which can cause problems with the nervous system for some people.

They got worse after a viral infection and onset of Interstitial Cystitis led to my diagnosis of Neuralgia. Now I get that same stab just about anywhere. Today it's above my eyebrow and making me nuts!

So far, there doesn't seem (to me) to be much neurologists can do for these pains other than precribe drugs like LYRICA.  My understanding is that it's just the brain sending pain signals. It doesn't mean there's something physically wrong, and for what it's worth I have done a few MRI's that show no inflammation.

This is just my understanding, though. I'm not a health care professional. I have learned that taking Calcium/Magnesium supplements and Omega fatty acid supplements help with these nerve pains if you don't want to take the mind-numbing drugs.  My neurologist said exercise also helps.  Good luck!