Shingles Pain?
I was diagnosed with shingles 10 days ago.  I have a small patch of the shingles rash on my left hand at the base of my thumb.  The rash is drying up and not itchy anymore.

However, in the past several days I have had excruciating pain in my left shoulder and neck and those areas are very sensitive to the touch.   I have no rash in the neck & shoulder areas.

Could the neck & shoulder pain be a symptom of the shingles virus?  Or should I look for other causes?

Yes there is a possibility that left shoulder pain is due to shingles.
But do keep in mind other possibilities also, i would suggest you to get yourself physically examined by a physician.
HI I HAD SHINGLES FROM STRESS AND IT WAS IN MY PINKY AND RING FINGER ALL THE WAY DOWN MY ARM TO THE SIDE UNDER THE BREAST BONE TO THE BACK ENDING AT THE SPINE ON THE RIGHT SIDE I TO HAVE THE WEIRD FEELING ON MY SKIN FEELS LIKE WHEN YOUR FOOT FALLS ASLEEP AND YOU CANT WAKE IT UP. I BEEN ON MEDS ITS BEEN 3 MONTHS BUT DOING MEDS FOR A MONTH NOW ITS SORTA GOING AWAY LITTLE AT A TIME. I NEVER HAD THE RASH OR BLISTER YOU GET. SO THEY WE INSIDE OF MY BODY. I GOT BACK PAIN AND I NEVER HAD THAT UNTILL SHIMGLES. BUT I HAVE THE THING AFTER SHINGLES PHN ITS CALLED. IT WILL GO AWAY IN TIME SOMETIMES IT CAN LAST MONTHS TO YEARS. ASK YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT IT. I TAKE VITAMINS AND BUT CREAMS ON MY SIDE TO IT HELPS. OR IM NOT STRESSING ABOUT IT ANY MORE. I HOPE THIS HELPS AND GOD BLESS