Neurology Community
Shingles and Burning Leg/Foot
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Shingles and Burning Leg/Foot

I recently had an L5-S1 fusion.  All has been going well.  About a week and a half ago, I started feeling really run down.  A few days later, I noticed what appeared to be a series of insect bites (rash) on the left side of my back.  I thought the bites would clear up, despite the area being of the rash being very sore and sensitive to the touch.  Four days later, I started noticing a heat/chill sensation in my torsal and burning in my left leg and foot, and unfortunately, the rash was still there and very sore.  After internet surfing, I realized I hadn't been bitten by an insect and sought medical help for Shingles.  After reading online the significant pain experienced with Shingles, I have to believe I do not have a severe case, but as you can imagine, the burning in my lower extremities has me very concerned that I suffered nerve damage with my recent back surgery.  I will point out that I didn't feel burning in my leg/foot until the onset of the Shingles.  So, my question is:  Is it possible that Shingles on my back could cause the discomfort I feel in my leg and foot?  I've read that the discomfort is usually limited to the area of the rash, but I definitely feel discomfort in other places.  

Thank you for your help.