Neurology Community
Shingles and Numbness in Legs/Feet

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Shingles and Numbness in Legs/Feet

A friend of mine had shingles on his chest and tummy.  Since the sores have gone he is now experiencing numbness in the lower part of his body in particular legs and feet.  Any thoughts for treatment?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It is true that Shingles does cause numbness and tingling in the extremities due to nerve damage in the peripheral nervous system. It is called Peripheral neuropathy. The nerves may take time to regenerate. Good nutrition and physiotherapy may help in a quicker regeneration. Natural supplements of multivitamins, multiminerals, calcium and Omega 3 fatty acids help a lot. Physiotherapy and occupational therapy are very helpful. Please consult a neurologist for further advice. Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!
Thanks will pass this information on!
This is comforting to know.  I got shingles about 3 weeks ago.   While the rash is almost gone, I now have some really weird feelings in my hands, foreams, and lower legs...like tingling and almost like a little paralysis.  Hard to explain.  I do believe it could be the lasting effects of the shingles.  Do you agree?