Neurology Expert Forum
Shot in nerve

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Shot in nerve

A couple of weeks ago I had to go the emergency room (I got a few stitches in my ear).

The nurse administered a pain shot and a antibiotic shot in my hip. I now have severe pain in my hip from the waist to my upper thigh.

My Doctor says they must have administered the shot in my nerve,and that it could take 6 months to heal or it may not heal.

I do not know what to do. I happen to be a very active person and now I have extreme discomfort doing anything.

Can you tell me what I might expect from this nerve damage, who I should see, etc. I am afraid if I do not see a specialist soon this could become worse. What are my options?
Thank you for any information.

Based on your description, it is not clear to me exactly were the problem is. If the shot was in your buttocks, and now you are experienceing pain in the front, these two may not be related. If this was caused by the injection (again I am not sure it was) then whatever damage has occurred is done. There should be no ongoing damage. To have this evaluated further, I would recommend you seeing a neurologist. You can show them exactly were the shot was placed, and where the symptoms are now. They will then be able to tell you if the two were possibly related. They may want to do a EMG test (test of muscle and nerve function) to evaluate the problem. Good luck.