Neurology Community
Should I replace the Bone Flap from Craniotomy/Craniectomy

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi, I am in my 40's and in Dec. 2008 I had a very large brain aneurysm rupture, it was the biggest one any of my drs have ever seen. I had immediate surgery, during recovery I was told that I had another one that needed to be removed before it too ruptured.  I had the second surgery to clamp off the other aneurysm.  After the second surgery I ended up with MRSA (very bad staff) in my incision.  I again had to have immediate surgery and they removed a piece of my skull the size of my hand.  I waited about 5 months then they put in a plate in place of my bone (we could not save it because of the MRSA).  I again got an infection in the incision, this time it was regular staff.  They removed the plate.  It has been 3 months since then and i now have a large dent in my head where bone should be.  My neurosurgen has given me the option to have a plastic surgen repair the dent or leave it the way it is.  I am worried about not having it replaced. What if i fall and hit it, what if someone hits me, or if i get in a car crash?  But, I am also worried about having another surgery since i have had so many complications with infections that are fatal.  My doctor has given me the choice.  I would like to know if any one has left the bone/plate out and how is their quality of life?  Thank you.
Hi, I had surgery because of an AVM in 2005. I had brain swelling so they removed the back part of my skull. Then I has mrsa, and spinal menigitis (meningitis). I'm still living without my skull flap. its about the size of half my hand in occipital area. I would like to have it repaired but i'M afraid. I'm planning on going back to work. There is a slight dent but you have to know to know the bone is missing. I'm hoping that new procedures become available that make the surgery easier.
I have also had a craniectomy, due to a birth defect that causes chronic migraines.  I am now 1 1/2 years post op and my regular doc, not the neurosergeon, wants me to get injections where the bone is missing due to extreme tenderness in that area.  I cant even sleep on my pillow without it hurting.  I am terrified.  I also wonder if a blow to the head might kill me.  Living in fear is not living at all!
I HAD A LARGE MENINGIOMA BRAIN TUMOR REMOVED...  HAD MAJOR PROBLEMS FOR 10 YRS AFTER... THIS SUMMER WENT TO HAVE ANOTHER TUMOR REMOVED AND THE DOCTOR COULD NOT REMOVE IT B/C MY SKULL WAS GONE FROM MRSA. HE WAS SHOCKED.. THOUGHT IT CAME FROM MY FIRST SURGERY.. FINALLY AFTER 3 MONTHS OF BIG GUN ANT-BIOTICS AND SURGERY TO REMOVE THE INFECTION I NOW HAVE A PROTHETIC  SKULL. MY WORRY IS?? I STILL AM NOT FEELING WELL AND IT HAS BEEN 7 MONTHS SINCE ALL THIS HAS TRANSPIRED AND AM HOPING AND PRAYING (NO MRSA) !!!!! WHAT ARE THE CHANCE OF IT RETURNING... LAURA<3