Neurology Expert Forum
Shoulder Pain, Hand Numbess & Pain in right trap muscle

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I am 30 yr. old male, who is the son of a woman w/ MS. I am currently dealing with a soreness in my right trap muscle near the base of my neck. I can really feel it if I tilt my head down and to the left. It initially started with a burning sensation for a few days and the burning sensation went away, now it is a soreness. As of about 3 days ago, I started to have slight pain in my left shoulder that comes when I lift my left arm and move it. Also, I started getting pins and needles feeling in my left & right thumb, index and ring finger when sleeping. It goes away when I move my hands for a few minutes and go about my day. I have been to the doctor and he seems to think that the trap muscle issue may be caused by stress. The shoulder issue and hand issue coincidentally occurred after seeing the doctor. I am awaiting a response from my doctor on the results of my blood test and results of blood in my urine (microscopic). Then I will speak to him about the other things I am seeing. I know you cannot test me and have not seen me in person. But should I start to be concerned about possibly having inherited multiple sclerosis from my mom based on the symptoms described?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

While family members of patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) are at a higher risk of having MS than others that are not related to a patient with MS, MS is not hereditary per se. You are at increased risk, and an evaluation is certainly warranted, which may include a thorough neurologic examination, MRI of the brain or spine or other testing depending on the suspicion for MS, but statistically, your symptoms are more likely to be explained by other causes. For example, as is mentioned above, your neck/shoulder pain may be muscular.

The symptoms in your neck/hand could also be due to a radiculopathy. The spinal cord is encased by bones called vertebra. Nerves start to form as they come off the spinal cord and exit through holes formed between the vertebra. If a nerve is compressed on as it exits through these holes, particularly in an area called the nerve root, a radiculopathy (or "pinched nerve") results. The compression could be due to arthritis of the spine or due to a herniated disc or other lesions. The symptoms include pain at the level of the problem (i.e. neck or back etc) and pain that may radiate down the arm or leg (depending on where the problem is). In more advanced cases, muscle weakness or sensory symptoms such as tingling or numbness may occur. A radiculopathy is often diagnosed based on history, physical examination, and MRI of the spine.Your hand tingling could also be due to carpal tunnel syndrome. The carpal tunnel is the area in the wrist that the median nerve passes through. If the median nerve is compressed in the carpal tunnel, it can cause symptoms in the first three digits of the hand most often, characterized by tingling, pins and needles or numbness, typically occurring more at night, but in some patients shooting pains can occur all the way up to the elbow. Carpal tunnel syndrome can be caused by repetitive movements at the wrist like typing. Treatment includes wearing a wrist brace and in severe cases surgery.

Continued follow up with your physician is recommended, with discussion of all your symptoms and your concerns. Referral to a neurologist may be indicated depending on your physician's assessment.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.