Neurology Community
Shoulder and arm pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Shoulder and arm pain

I have a pain in my right shoulder and arm that bothers me when I lay down. It started out feeling as if my arm was asleep but has progressed to bother me to the point where I can not sleep without medicine. I started off taking tylenol over the counter and finally had to visit the doctor. He sent me for x-rays that came back negative but he thouht I had a pinched nerve. I was prescribed gabapentin 300 mg to take twice daily. I can not take it twice daily because it makes me extremely drowsy and dizzy. I have been taking it once dail since January 24 and have not seen any improvement in the condition. I did not take it one night, on purpose, and coud not sleep. If this is a pinched nerve, should more follow up have been done after the initial x-ray? Is there anything that can be done to improve the condition so that I don't have to stay on medication constantly? Should my doctor have provided more instructions concerning the plan of action?
Yes, if this a pinched nerve you need more follow up. Follow up to see how the condition is and to actually look out for cause of numbness.
You could have spinal disc pathology which can hardly be diagnosed with an x-ray.
Yes, you need to see an orthopaedician or a neurologist for further evaluation and proper diagnosis and treatment.
Yes, he should have instructed you with whole plan of action.
There are many different terms used to describe spinal disc pathology and associated pain, such as “herniated disc”, “pinched nerve”, and “bulging disc”. The bones which form your spine are called as vertebrae. The space between two vertebras is cushioned with disc. When disc bulge or break open due to any reasons like ageing (aging), or trauma to spine, it is called as herniated disc and this can cause pinching of nerve. It can happen in any region, but is more common at lower back in lumbar region and cervical region.
It is advisable for you to do physiotherapy for relief of pain and spasm of muscle, pain killers and pain management specialist for conservative management.
Hope this helps.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.