Neurology Community
Shoulder blade pain, arm pain and weakness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have been experiencing some strange symptoms for me.  I am a 33 year old female. I am active, I usually run between 4 to 6 miles four times a week.  I also do strength training weekly.  About 4 weeks ago I began having left side back pain in my upper back on the left side right next to my shoulder blade.  This pain came on gradually and intensified.  It was releived somewhat with massage.  I also began experiencing some pain in my arm and hand. About two weeks ago I would get a tingling feeling in my upper back and arm and pain. It usually starts in my upper back around the shoulder balde area, then travels under my armpit and down my arm and my arm felt weaker.  The tingling is now gone, but I still have upper back/shoulder blade pain and arm pain. The pain ususally starts in my upper back, then under my armpit, then my upper arm feels tight and starts to hurt and the pain then radiates down the front of my arm, under my wrist and sometimes into my hand. And I still feel as if my arm is weaker. Last night I had some muscle twitches in my shoulder and when I lean back to stretch my upper back my shoulder does hurt some.  Although the pain from my back never goes into my shoulder. I can still do my usual tasks, but my arm becomes tired from them  quicker. For example, today when I was using the weed eater my arm felt extra and afterwards when I went in  for a drink my hand and arm shook lifting the glass.  This did go away though after a few minutes. For some reason I have become very concerned about ALS. I did a symptom check and it came up as one the diseases. I am not too familiar with the disease and wanted to know if any of these symptoms should have me concerned. I should also note that I am a very anxious person.  I am taking Buspar and 800mg of Ibprofren.  I went to my MD last week about the pain and weakness and he performed some strength tests on both sides and reflex tests.  He assured me that I tested out fine on these and believes I have a pinched or compressed nereve. But for some reason I cannot quit worrying.  Thank you for any reply you have.
I know it's a year since you posted, and I can't seem to find a thread on here to find any resolutions, so if you are still checking in would love to know what you found out about your condition as I am having exactly the same symptoms.
Hi, Thank you for your question. I think your symptoms may be due to nerve irritation in the cervical (neck) spine because of cervical disc bulge. This pain may be referred and perceived as occurring in the back of head & shoulders (as electric sensation)- LHERMITTES SIGN, arms or chest, rather than just the neck. Other symptoms may include vertigo, nausea (dizziness) and stiffness. It will be best that you consult a neurologist who would like to prescribe Pain killers, steroid and muscle relaxants. Other treatments could be cervical orthosis such as a soft cervical collar or stiffer neck brace to restrict neck movement till you get complete recovery. In addition, cervical traction may also be suggested by the doctor, if condition is severe. Hope this helps.
Once again, with the utmost of respect I disagree one hundred percent with the suggestion to use either a soft cervical collar or a muscle relaxant. Muscle relaxants decrease muscle tone and increase presure on the punched nerve.  This is the road to a frozen shoulder and a lifetime of agonizing level ten pain.

The treatment is:

(1) Rest for a week. Anti-inflammatories. Prednisone for two weeks, then ibuprufin. Start at 60 mg oral prednisone a day, then taper down.
(2) Intermittant gentle cervical traction 5-10 minutes in duration six to eight times a day.
(3) Good hydration.
(4) Range of motion exercises rotating the head 360 degrees through the limits of pain.
(5) Isometric exercises to increase muscle tone. Flat of the hand against the forehead. Force forehead against hand. Do the same with the head to the left, the right and back.
(6) Avoidance of riding in a truck or using an inflatable cushion while riding in a car.
(7) Steroidal cream rubbed transdermally on the back of the neck.