Neurology Community
Shoulder tension and tingling

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Shoulder tension and tingling

My shoulders are particularly tense. I often catch myself having them raised and forward. Lately, I have been getting tingling sensations in them as well. Any suggestions?
Yes, you have actually (probably) nailed the diagnosis and the treatment yourself.  Very tense shoulder muscles just keep getting tighter and do press on sensory nerves.  You would do well to try one or more of the following

Get some massage treatments to try to begin relaxing the areas.

Learn loosening and stretching exercises for the neck, back and shoulders and do them religiously 2 or 3 times a day - go for gentle stetching that you hold  for 20 to 30 seconds.

Learn to be aware of your posture as you sit and work.  Check it frequently and readjust often.  Change positions often, get up and walk around.

Ask for a short course of physical therapy to analyse your posture and movements to help with the above.

And I'm sure others will join with some recommendations.  Good luck, Quix
I've been experiencing tingling and vibration and numbess and I wonder if it is from a pinched nerve in my neck.  I am the same way about shoulder tension.  Sometimes I find myself all tensed up and have to make a conscious effort to relax my shoulders.  I've had several whiplash injuries and the beginnings of arthritis in my neck and I'm wondering if the symptoms I'm experiencing aren't the MS, Parkinson's, etc. symptoms that I've been getting myself stressed out about.  The only thing I'm wondering is whether a pinched nerve in the neck can cause numbness and tingling in the left arm AND tingling/vibrations in BOTH legs.  All at the same time.  I had an MRI this week and am awaiting the results.  Just hoping it is a pinched nerve and not something worse.  Any advice you can give would be appreciated.  Thanks!  
I agree with rainsummer.  Especially with that history of injury and known arthritis, you could easily have something in your neck!

Quix
Yes a pinched nerve in the neck will cause trouble in the arm.

Thank you for your advice, Quix.  You don't know how that helps me.  I sobbed as I read it since I have been sooooo stressed out by this.  Of course, it doesn't mean that's my problem, but at least it offers me an alternative to the terrible diseases that have been flying around in my mind lately.  The stress that these health issues creates are so debilitating at times.  I have been taking Motrin the past few days and the symptoms in my legs seem to have diminished a bit.  But still have the tingling just not as severe and persistent.   I'm assuming that may mean that perhaps an inflamation (inflammation) around a nerve has been relieved a bit.  I'll continue with the Motrin and see if that continues to help.  Anything else you would recommend I do going forward?  I'll probably talk to my doctor on Tuesday.  

Thank you so much for me and for all the others that you post for.  You serve a great purpose here on this board and I want to thank you for that!   You rock!

PS:: sorry for taking over this thread. :)

Hi, you really need to try to relax.  Go for a run, join some friends.  Wracking yourself up with terror serves only to make everything worse and create symptoms from things that don't deserve notice.  Also, a problem in your neck can cause tingling in the legs also.

What was the MRI of?  Let us know what the results were.  Quix