Shuddering Disorder
My son is now 11 months old and reaching all of his developmental milestone within a normal range. At about 5-6 months of age he began to shake throughout the day. It looks like he is "shivering" because he is cold, but hes not. He has as little as 1 a day to having days that he has them quit frequently. There is a family history of Epilepsy. Neurologist thinks it is a Shuddering D/O. EEG came back normal, he did 2 "shivers' during the test and the neurologist saw a few "shivers" during our office visit. I am confused exactly what a Shuddering Disorder is and what causes it. The neurologist said we could conduct further testing but did not feel it was necessary because he appears to be developing normally and the testing requires sedation. Any information would be appreciated.
Hello Dear,
Shuddering attacks are recognized as an uncommon benign disorder occurring during infancy or early childhood. The attacks seem to involve shivering movements occurring daily for several seconds without impairment of consciousness.  Although reports suggest that these movements are benign and needless investigations should be avoided, a problem related to the development of the nervous system may be present in children with shuddering attacks and with family history of epilepsy.You should be alert and followup the doctor regularly.   Ref  from http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=846228
Best
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my concerns. We will continue to watch and see.

My family has a life threatening genetic heart disorder, that was fatal for several members of the family, for which one of the few symptoms is syncope. Years before being diagnosed this fainting was dismissed as being just one of those things and nothing to be concerned about. I think because of this, I have a hard time not knowing the exact cause of his shudders, like its cause from a deficiency of what every. It does make me feel better knowing there does not appear to be any long term effects.

Thank you again for your time and help