Since I stopped smoking
Since I stopped smoking, my tongue feels like it would if I burned the taste buds in the middle of it.  I get salty and soapy tastes all day.  I am not tasting food better.  It has been a month since I quit.

I have seen a dentist, was on antibiotics for a week, then had a tooth pulled.  I had some nasal bleeding, but that has stopped.  My husband also quit at the same time and has had no dental problem, but is having the same symptoms.  Anyone explain this?  I drink coffee, he does not.  I have night sweats, he does not.

How long before my tongue feels better?  What can be done to speed healing or make it go away?

This discussion is related to Salty Lips.......
It's been a long while since I quit smoking, but what I recall concerning the tongue and tastes is, I noticed a few people would say, "Don't things taste a lot better?" and I would say, "No."  In fact, nothing tasted good.  I never had that so-called improved taste that has been advertised.  What DID happen is after a year or so, I began to eat foods I didn't like before, returned to my old preferences as a child, like orange-flavor ice cream.  I also quit using so much salt.

I suspect the unusual tastes in your mouth, however, are the process of healing going on.  It's like you've set fire to your mouth for a couple decades, and then you stop.  When you combine that with how cigarettes calm a person to some degree, and also how you were used to burning up your tongue, well, you are just finally feeling what has really been going on in your mouth.

Still, I think  you should visit your regular doctor and ask him about it, and ALSO visit a "smokers anonymous" website, or a website like that, where they have a forum for people who are trying to quit smoking, and see if you can find others who have your problem.  I'm just going on what I remember, and also an educated guess on the odd taste thing.  In the meantime, get into chewing gum, sucking on lollipops, sucking sugar candy drops, to sooth your tongue.  Also, I must have swished around a ton of crushed ice during my quit time, too.