Neurology Community
Sinking spells with extreme lethargy

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Sinking spells with extreme lethargy

My grandmother is complaining of  these symptoms for about 6 mo. now. She just has what I call a "sinking spell" with extreme weakness and lethargy. She too has trouble remembering things but only during the "spell". She also says "she doesn't feel right in her head" I thought she was having TIA's but they said no when she was admitted to the hospital in Jan and did every test in the book and could not find anything at all! She did have a neurology consult and they did MRI, MRA, doppler on Carotids, Echo, EKG, CT, you name it they did it!! The symptoms seem to go away for a few months and have now returned with a vengence! She fell a week ago and now they are more pronounced. Her family doctor has ordered a follow up ct for the fall and referred her to a neurologist. ANy ideas? I was wondering if anything like Vasospasm could cause symptoms like this.
Dear,
           The sinking spells your grandmother had earlier could be due to syncope where the blood supply to the brain reduces for some minutes leading to lethargy and weakness.A MRI or a CTscan is essential to rule out any lesion in the brain after the fall.You should consult a neurologist and get her treatment done at the earliest.
All the best.
Thank you for your input. She is having CT scan today and neurology consult on Thursday. She did have a ct scan the day after the fall and it showed everything ok. They diagnosed her with a small concussion. Could she develop problems later? The doctor did not order the ct scan with contrast will that make any difference in the diagostic abilities?