Neurology Community
Sinus Surgery and clear fluid leak

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Sinus Surgery and clear fluid leak

I've had five sinus surgeries which overall have helped. Now though, for about a year I have had an abundance of clear watery fluid dripping from my left nostril. Its gotten so bad I can almost feel the fluid building in my sinus. I have been tested for CSF and the test came back negative. I have also been diagnosed with Migraine headaches. Because the dripping has gotten so bad, I am afraid to move my head in a downward position. The problem is very embarrassing. My question is, if it is not CSF can it be another fluid ie. Lymph, tears, or very watery mucous. Can a beta 2-transferrin test for CSF be wrong? Also, what tests can I do on this fluid to find out what it is ?
My understanding is that the "gold standard" for testing for CSF is the beta -2-transferrin test.  It is possible that some residual damage from the chronic infection and/or the surgeries is causing a persistent, thin nasal drainage.

If you had such a constant CSF leak, you would likely have the signs of intracranial hypotension.  That is a headache that becomes worse the longer you are upright and improves with lying down.

Either way it does sound miserable.  The test for CSF could certainly be repeated, maybe in another lab.  There is chance for error (false-negatives and false-postives) in ALL lab tests.

Good luck, Quix
Avatar n tn
I have also just had endoscopic sinus surgery (2nd one in 3 months) we looked at the CT scan together and the doctor told me that the reason why my upper right sinus is still not draining is due to a blockage and there was a thin bone that was blocking it.

So he performed a endoscopic surgery on me and the morning after, I started to leak a lot of clear fluids from right side.

At first I thought it was the build up of the fluids on the right side draining, but I am getting more and more concerned.

He did not use image guided surgical procedures and within the CT scan we saw 2 bone layers, one layer that was to the actual sinus cavity itself, and second layer, that protected the brain.

He said that everyone is different anatomically, and said that if we looked at both sides, we needed to punch a small hole to allow for fluid to drain from the right sinus (right above my eye) which also will allow drainage to the upper sinus above my eye.

Anyway, it is my second day, and I am seeing a lot of drainage, is this normal initially? and when should I start being very concerned?

Are CSF leak usually clear? or colored?

Thank you