Neurology Community
Six Year Old Daughter with Syrinx

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Six Year Old Daughter with Syrinx

Scared and concerned parent here:

Our six year old daughter was rear-ended by a truck in September that totaled our car and the car in-front (in-fact the gentleman thereafter passed away).

My wife has a herniated disk in the neck and bulging disks now and my daughter went for an MRI due to some continuing pain which showed bulging discs C5/6 & C7/T1 and a possible Syrinx. Well today a further MRI revealed a Syrinx:

"There is straightening of thoracic kyphosis seen. Fatty marrow signal in the vertebral bodies is identified with maintenance of vertebral body heights. There is a syrinx in the thoracic spinal cord redemonstrated also seen on the prior cervical spine MRI study. This extends from the T4 level inferiorly to T11/12. Its maximal diameter is at the T7/8 level at 1.9 mm transversely x 1.6 mm AP dimension. The remainder of the thoracic spinal cord signal is unremarkable. The conus is seen at T12/L1. The paraspinal soft tissues are unremarkable.

The thoracic intervertebral discs show good disc hydration. No disc herniation or spinal stenosis is seen. Lateral recess and foramina appear maintained.

IMPRESSION:
1. Thoracic spinal cord syrinx at 1.9 mm maximal dimension noted. This was also seen on the cervical spine MRI 1/15/2014.
2. Straightening of cervical lordosis may indicate musculoligamentous spasm or sprain.
3. The remainder of the study is unremarkable."

We have a couple of questions:
1. Is this likely from the accident of congenital?
2. Is 1.9mm large or small?
3. Does this usually demonstrate symptoms and if so, when usually.

Thanks for your advice and input.

Thanks,

Hi....I am not a medical professional so I am only sharing what I know  from my own research and what Drs have shared with me.

A syrinx can form from an injury, and the thoracic area of the spine is the most protected so most times Drs look for a syrinx to form in the cervical spine.....

A syrinx can be congenital, but u would have something obstructing  CSF flow for the syrinx to form....

Since u do not have a MRI from B4 the accident it is diff to know if this is congenital or acquired due to an injury.

A syrinx can develop very slowly or rapidly....it can be diff for each person that has one.....

U may want to see a Dr that deals with this condition, a specialist that works with Chiari, and Syringomyelia daily...in order to get  a Dr well informed and experienced with these issues.