Neurology Expert Forum
Skin feels sunburned

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Skin feels sunburned

About 7 months ago I had these symptoms: little "bee sting" type pains that lasted only a second or so, all over my body; skin was extra sensitive to clothing, especially on my legs (felt as if the hairs on my legs were being pulled, occasionally) and the feeling of my skin being sunburned, especially on my neck, upper back, sometimes the tops of my arms, and tops of my legs. This last symptom often lasted for hours. I had two neurology evaluations and two different evoked potential tests (forget what they were called), along with every blood test imaginable. Everything was normal. Docs suggested Nortryptiline which I was alreaady taking low doses of for sleep. The symptoms finally faded after approximately 6 weeks. (Around that same time I had a kidney stone stuck in my ureter and needed laser ureteroscopy, but I doubt the two conditios are related).

Suddenly, two weeks ago, the "sunburned skin" sensation returned (not the other aforementioned symptoms). This time it is concentrated on the back of my neck and lower scalp (at the hairline), as well as on the tops of my legs. The skin is not tender/sore to the touch.

Only other thing worth mentioning is that I'm 48 and in the throes of menopause. Any ideas?
Dear Barabara:

I am not sure what to tell you.  In light of all the normal testing (I am assuming EMG also, although you sound like a small fiber neuropathy which would not be picked up by EMG), I am not sure what it could be.  A small fiber neuropathy might give you episodic soreness and parasthesias but it would not be so wide spread initially.  Pressure palsy neuropathy would not be so widespread.  The normal lab testing would rule out vitamin B12 problems as well as the widespread initial symptoms.  I am sorry that I am not able to help you.  Whether it is related to your menopause is unknown.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Just because an EMG is normal; doesn't mean you don't have or will not get peripheral neuropathy.  My symptoms started over two years ago with severe burning of the legs.  I described it to my doctor, like a sunburn.  I couldn't stand to have clothing touch my skin, or wash myself in the shower.

First EMG was normal.  An EMG four months later, and a nerve biopsy, showed peripheral neuropathy with severe atrophy of the myelinated axon.  Keep an eye on it.  Have a repeat EMG in about six months.
Thanks for the feedback, Peg. I think the big "stumper" about my symptoms is how widespread they can be. Yours started with just your legs, apparently. Mine can "roam" from legs, neck, arms, etc. It changes location, so to speak. Skin isn't sensitve to wash, massage, etc. That's why it seems like it's something systemic...ie., possibly hormone changes or some other bizarre chemical imbalance, allergy, etc. And it disappeared completely for 7 months.
i have similar symptoms.  About a year ago, I got tingling in my arms and legs.  Soon after I started developing burning pain throughout my whole body.  I had all the tests done-everything normal.  Can someone explain to me what small fiber neuropaty is?  Are neuropathys permanent, and what type of damage can they do?  Hang in there Barbara, I know how tough all of this is.  Im scared too.
I was diagnosed with Cervical Myelopathy, Radiculopathy, and small fiber neuropathy. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis also. Let me tell you, the pain is like having the worst sunburn you have ever had and then going back into the sun. I could be doing nothing and the burning is just there, if I go outside and the sun hits me it hurts, if the air conditioning touches my skin it hurts. Clothing, jewelry, bedding, it all is very sensitive to the skin. Then there's the numbness, tingling so bad that if I put my feet together they feel as though they are vibrating. I am currently taking 3600 mg of Neurontin, 25 mg of Prednisone, Arava, Methotrexate, Toprol XL, Norvasc, Vicodin ES, Duragesic Patch, and then on Monday Enbrel. I am a big mess. I am always in pain and all I want to do is cry.My walking is very poor as I can't stand for long because of the pain and tingling. My Neurologist is not going out of his way to explain things.Infact, when I call him he hardly ever calls back. I have heard this from alot of his other patients. The MRI showed a mass of inflammation in the C-3 to C-5 area of the spine. I know it is affecting the sensory nerves but does anyone know how bad this could get? Also more importantly, does anyone know of a Neurologist that specializes in Cervical Myelopathies in the state of Michigan. Please, I really need someone that can handle this and make my life a little bit easier.
A related discussion, skin sensitive no outward symtoms (symptoms) was started.
A related discussion, sunburn feeling on skin on upper body was started.