Neurology Expert Forum
Skin numbness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Skin numbness

I don't know where who to turn to. I need help! Past: for the last 2 years
The symptom: bouts of diarrhea then constipation, very bad nausea,my bladder was leaking, footdrop,bad headaches when I sit to long in one spot like my spine is pushed up into my skull. I have episodes where I am completely disoriented all day,energy was 0, nausea , can't concentration,blood pressure up and down, bad leak from bladder.  I had several of those episodes over the next two years.  My Dr thought it was high blood pressure and put me on some medications, Toprol.
I had neck pain so I went to the Dr sent me for an MRI of the spine.  I had some narrowing of the canal in C5.  So my Dr sent me to a spine Dr. who put me though physical therapy.   It slowly got better. I had some numbness to my forehead & cheeks July 4th I woke up somewhat sick with flu symptoms same as before). Disconnected, slow, no energy, feverish but no fever. Spent the whole day this way.On July 4th, I woke with one these episodes.The next day I woke up with both my cheek
One of the causes of a multifocal sensory neuropathy is indeed diabetes or impaired glucose tolerance so you should have a glucose tolerance test to check for this (you drink a sugar drink and then the nurse takes blood at 1 and 2 hours after for blood glucose. This is more sensitive than just a random blood glucose.

Other causes might include a cervical myelopathy, synringomyelia (already excluded by MRI), Lyme disease, a paraneoplastic sensory neuropathy (very rare, diagnosed by blood tests), amyloid deposition (skin biopsy may be helpful), heavy metal poisoning (a urine test), leprosy (obviously extremely rare in the US), mononeuritis multiplex (check for blood ANA), or a post sensory viral polyradiculopathy (bodies immune system attacks the vvirus but also your sensory nerves)

Furhter testing might include a sensory nerve conduction study, somatosnesory evoked potentials, and/or a spinal fluid analysis
all the above can be assessed for and done at your local neurologists office - you should seek a consultation if you have not already
Good luck
It's Marshacash.  I am the above person.  I am a 51 woman.  I have had 2 children.  Illness: Hypoglycermia, hysterectomy, tonsilectomy, & appendextomy. I have an occional cold sore, mirgains, and colds.  I am writng this comment because the numbness is now moving again.  Last week it was a center line on my abdomen and now it's spreading to the sides.  Now it's in my groin area.  My bladder is leaking really bad now. Yesterday when i walked my feet feel like they belong to someone else and I don't feel my perspiration. When I got back from the walk (only 15 minutes)I was wet.  I could not tell that until i touched my self.  Otherwise i feel normal.  A little forgetful at times but normal.  I called my spine Dr and the officed advise me to see a neurogolist. There is only one in town and he seems unconcerned or over worked but in the mean time I am still loosing my skin sensations.  Please some help lead me down the right path for an answer.
Any other sensory loss?
Constant ringing in right ear.  Can't feel a touch, heat or cold, on those points on my skin.  I can feel pressure of a touch but not the touch itself.  I can't feel the sweat on my head.  My bladder is leaking.  My feet feel funny when I wear shoes because the shoe goes over the top of the foot where it is numb.  The skin on my stomache feels weird.  Like it's not mine.  I can't feel the skin on my groin area.  I am bruising easy.  Even when I do a stix for my diabetes checks. The little area on my finger bruises.  Sometimes I have blurred vision. But all these things are happening now not when I have these spells.  I haven't had a spell since the first of June.  My sugar is running between 80-120.  My blood pressure is sometime very low, 104/64 then in the next 15 minutes it will be 127/75.  It seems to go nuts sometimes.
back in feburary i had numbness and itching on my left part of stomach, doctor says it might be shingles. after like 6 weeks it moved down to my knee( it left my front and back) after another 2 weeks it moved slightly to my left foot. now it is july27th and i still have senitive spot on my stomach, but 10 days ago i noticed that while i was shaving i had no feeling under my right side of my chin, now i have very little feeling on my right ear and jawbone along with numbnees under my chin. right now i have trouble sleeping because of burning sensation like a bad sunburn, if i touch the hairs on the back of my neck it drives me nuts, it just feels like bad sunburn and there seems to be two points that is the center of this( one about 2 inchs below my ear) and the other under my chin(like under my right side of my tongue). i went to ear and throat doctor because i was getting ear aches and pressure like infection but he found nothing wrong with ear. by the way i have no rash or redness but it is very very senitive even my shirt cannot come in contact with this? as i said i cannot lay on this side of my face because of the burning sensation. even when doctor said stomach numbness was shingles i had no rash or sores (could this be shingles on other side of body?
Hi, For several years now I have been experiencing discomfort when I itch certain parts of my body.  The pain starts out slowly than increases sometimes severally than subsides.  I have dealt with that for years but now I am experiencing numbness.  My left foot feels like it is slightly asleep all the time and my right foot only sometimes.  Parts of my body mainly my thigh area feel slightly numb.  I've been to the doctor and had a blood test done and it was normal and had my foot xrayed but it showed nothing.  Any thoughts?
A related discussion, Here again was started.