Neurology Community
Skin very sensitive to the touch

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Skin very sensitive to the touch

I have been experiencing very strange skin sensitivity for the last 3 weeks or so.  It all started with one little spot on my ribcage about the size of a softball.  The skin felt very sensitive and had like a "sunburned" feel to it - it especially bothered me when my shirt would rub up against it a certain way.  Well, it eventually spread around to my whole rib cage area and was very bothersome.  Some days the feeling would be worse than others.  It seemed that each day the feeling would slowly move upwards and eventually the feeling was all around my breasts making it extremely difficult to wear a bra.  It slowly went away for almost 2 days but then the same feeling came back but this time it was on the underside of my forearm.  Same exact feeling, just a different location. It also all of a sudden appeared on one little spot on my foot and also on my pelvic bone area.  Currently, it is bothering me really bad on my lower abdomen and the top of my buttocks, all the way around my body.  The feeling seems to be more intense on the left side of my body though.  Again, it feels very sensitive to the touch, almost like I have been sunburned and it really bothers me when my clothes brush up against it.   There is absolutely no redness, bumps or lesions of any kind.  The pain doesn't feel very deep either, it is just on the skin.  

Now I don't know if this is related to the strange skin sensitivity or not but about 4 days ago I started feeling this really weird sensation behind my left eye.  It almost feels like I have to strain to move my eyeball to the left and when I do, I kind of have a dizzy feeling.  I know this all sounds really weird but I feel like I have started to fall apart since the new year rang in!  I have always been a perfectly healthy individual.  I'm a 31 year old female, have 2 young healthy boys and am married.  I have no stress in my life whatsoever so I know this is not related to stress.  I have a dr's appt tomorrow morning at 8:30 but I wanted to know if anyone has heard of these weird sensations or know what it could possibly be?   Thanks for any help you can provide...

Jamie
Viewing 1-200 comments:
I have been having exactly the same feeling for the past 3 weeks.  It started on the right side of my stomach and felt like really bad sunburn and my shirt hurt my skin really bad when I put it on.  It then went to my whole back, went away from there and showed up on my right inner bicep, then to my right outer forearm and now on my left inner and mid-thigh for 2 days and now still on my thigh but also on my left forearm.  It is extremely painful on my thigh when I walk and my pants rub up against it.  I am 32 years old, with two healthy boys and am married.  I have been feeling stressed lately since I just went back to work after a 3 month maternity leave.  My jaw has also been slamming shut on its own when I least expect it.  It doesn't clench and stay closed, it just slamms shut and then is fine.  I attributed that to stress, too.  

I am very nervous about what this may be and am going to a dermatologist tomorrow in the morning and am hoping for some answers.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The sunburn feeling pain has now moved to my whole lower back and is hurting everytime I move.  Any advice would be great.
Hello.

The altered sensations you are having on the skin are not due to any skin disease. In all probabilities, these are symptoms of peripheral neuropathy. And it is changing places. t hints at some progressive injury to the peripheral nerves, or even higher up in the brainstem or the brain itself. A demyelinating disorder has to be ruled out.

You can speak to the doctor about this.

Regards
I tried going to see a neurologist today but due to the weather here in the northeast, noone could see me.  I have an appointment on Monday morning but I don't know if this is too long to wait to see what is wrong.  It is now still on my left leg, on my left forearm and hand, by my right shoulder and now on my stomach again.  I am not sure if going to a hospital will help since my appointment is 2 days away.  I am in trememdous pain every time I move.  Any advice would help.
One other thing is that I have had some throbbing in two of the spots where I have pain - my left thigh and left arm and hand.  It is not constant but enough for me to notice it.
Hello.

I don't think there is any problem in waiting for two more days. If he is a Neurologist, it is better to wait and get it examined properly.

Meanwhile, you can try some over the counter anti-inflammatory drugs, only if you can not tolerate the pain.

Regards
Went to the neurologist today and she said it was probably not peripheral neuropathy since I don't have the pain in my feet or hands (only that one time in my hand) and she wants to rule out MS.  I had an EEG and evoke potentials testing today in the office and am scheduled for an MRI with and without contrast of my brain and spine towards the end of this week.  My follow-up appointment with her is next Tues. March 4th so we will see.  I am posting my updates since I think it is important for other people looking for some sort of answers to see what they may end up going through.
I had thetwo MRIs on Thursday.  The doctor ordered them with and without contrast but my insurance would only pre-certify them both without contrast.  I am hoping that these, combined with the EEG and EP labs I had done this week will be enough for a diagnosis.  I go back to the neurologist on Tuesday.
Went to the doctor for my follow-up visit on Tuesday and thankfully all tests came out normal - the MRIs, EEG and EP labs.  Since the MRIs were without contrast the doctor still wants to do them both with contrast just to make sure but she is confident that it isn' t MS.  She said the MRIs without contrast would have shown old plaque and the one's with contrast will show new plaque if there is any there.  I go back to the doctor next Friday.
I have not yet had the two MRIs with contrast yet, I plan on scheduling them tomorrow.  I have not experienced the pain in a few weeks.  I found out that my sister had the same MS work-up I had a few years ago after she had some numbness in her left leg.  All of her tests came up normal and they said she had extreme anxiety and stress. She said yoga helped alot.  
I get the same sensations, they are not extremely painful but very unnerving.  I have had it on my calf,forearm, back and side.  I can't say it lasts so long a day or two, goes away and then comes back.  I would love to know what this is.

Barbara
I'm experiencing EXACTLY the same sensations. They started roughly 3 weeks ago. Have any of you had any word on what this might be?

JP
i am experiencing the samething  but its only on my right side in spots about the size of an open palm. it is scaring me a little and i would like to no what could be wrong.
Hi all

I have not had a good day today.

Apart from the "normal " things that I get every day, Last night my skin on my fore arm and inner legs felt like bad sunburn.This has happened several times now.

My skin feels like its splitting its so sore,WHAT IS IT ? If any one else gets it what can I take or do.I feel quite unwell with it all.

Someone has recommended putting some t tree in a  warm bath (I like hot baths but  I cant even have that pleasure now) so warm it is.

Best Regards

Terrie
I am 37 Male, and I also startted feeling this feeling as well, around a week ago I notcied, not sure what it is. HELP
I apologize incorrect spelling. on my first post
I am a 53 year old healthy male. I have started experiencing strange symptoms this week.  Starting about 5 days ago, my right forearm became very sensitive to the touch.  I first thought my shirt sleave had somehow irritated that area.  There was no rash, redness, bumps or swelling.  I have had no prior problems in that area.  The irritation seemed to be mostly topical but also radiating into the lower levels of skin.  I was also experiencing what felt like the effects of sunburn on my entire upper chest.  Since then, the arm has become slightly less sensitive but the pain /irritation to the skin had spread to the right half of my chest area and to the right shoulder blade area.  Now, about five days later, I am sitting here in the middle of the night, unable to sleep.  I am twisting and turning and cannot sleep.  My hip/abdomen/rib  area is sensitive to the mattress.  I am sleeping fitfully as I cannot get comfortable.  I am worried as during recent vacation to N.C. OBX area, I found tick on my lower leg.  Is this related? I am alarmed.
I am 40 years old and have been experiencing all the same symptoms since Dec 2007.  I currently have an area the size of a softball that is numb and sore to touch on my right knee and yesterday i had some pains that felt like a pin *****.  I have the underside of my right thumb numb and sore like a sunburn.  I have had an MRI, CT Angigram and CT Head.  MS has been ruled out but they did find a small bleed in my brainstem near the PONS.  3 months ago I had right facial numbness and tongue numbness that has resolved on it's own.  
It is frightening.  I have an appointment with a neurologist in a couple of months and hopefully some  EMG studies will help diagnose this.  I was very stressed out when all the symptoms started in December but my life has gotten great and if related to stress i don't think it should be happening anymore.
Years ago I was diagnosed with a C4-5 stenosis and I'm not sure if this is related to that either.  Family doctor does not have enough knowledge to even speculate.
So here I wait...2 more months to see a neourologist...I'm in Canada.

Julie
I posted back in March with the sunburned skin feeling and finally had the last MRIs with contrast to rule out MS and they were all normal.  The neurologist said that she didn't think there was anything wrong and I haven't had any symptoms since February.  Like Julie, I was very stressed at the time this happened to me - just went back to work after maternitiy leave, financial burden of daycare, etc., company buy-out and layoffs.  Things are much better now so hopefully it was stress related.  That is scary, though, what stress can do to your body.
I am experiencing sunburn like feeling on the upper part of my buttocks, i am taking  lanoxin, coreg cr and diuretics for my heart. Could this be the cause of the over sensitivity?

mannyw
I have this same pain as JamieA76 does. Entire rib cage area, underneath the breast but it has not moved any place else. It is very uncomfortable. It is called Allodynia and I am taking 300 mgs of Gabapentin twice a day and 90 mgs of Cymbalta once a day. I also have a cream at the direction of my neurologist. It is Ketamine/Gabapentin at 6%. I put a pea size on the most painful spot twice a day. The medication has not totally taken the pain away but it has allowed me to go about my day without too much discomfort.

Hope this has helped anyone.
I am 59 years old and have the same like symptoms. Mine is mostly on the crown and under left upper and lower under arm. I have tenderness and when pricked with nail hurts. It also seems when I touch the arm it is cooler than the other arm in same area. It also comes and goes just like everybody else says it does. I have had this for several years at least to the point that I noticed it. My legs and arms itch to the point I itch them and it leaves redness. My skin seems very thin and I bruise very easily.
I to would like to know what this could be.

Linda
It's frightening how virtually EVERY time someone sees a Neurologist they are signing up for HUGE medical bills for MRI, CT scans and the rest.  If you are like me and experience many of the symptoms presented here - consider first the likelihood of Shingles (Herpes Zoster).   It's a virus commonly derived from having the Chickenpox as a kid.  Start your research there and be slow to letting a doctor play 'seek and find' for a diagnosis while scaring you to death that you have MS or some similar condition.  
Soo weird..my symptoms are like Jamie's and had never heard of these before. I actually was ready to make an appointment with a neurologist but decided to have a last minute apptmt with an internist. Since it's only been 4 days since the sunburn and muscle spasms of left side of my body (rib cage) he wanted to wait a few more days to rule out shingles. So far, ibuprofen every 5 hrs helps ease the pain. I pray that this doesn't go beyond what I am experiencing...NN
I'm 28, these symptoms are happening after I am getting over the flu/fever.  Not visible but baseball size in my left shoulder blade and today and progressed around to my left rib cage.  Anymore updateds on possible diagnoses would be great.
I have the exact same symptoms you all are describing. I am an 23 year old male in good health and I was diagnosed with RRMS (Relaps-Remitting MS) when I was 18. I talked to my doctor and nurse and the sensitivity is a part of an MS relapse. I am not suggesting that everyone who experiences this feeling has MS, but it could be a possibility. It could be a result of a number of things.
Really? MS? Come on now.  Now, while I don't want to downplay your own afflictions (and I'm sorry you were diagnosed with MS, it's a horrible disease)  - but considering there are QUITE A FEW posts of similiar nature, perhaps it's best to help provide more common/less severe possibilities as well as the "worst case scenarios?"

I'm experiencing the same thing - only over the last couple of days, and only on the upper part of my lower arm (underneath) to the underneath of the middle section of my upper arm.  I can touch it (placing pressure on skin) but any friction and it's sensitive and uncomfortable.  

Now, I'm 29, not stressed (in fact, I meditate often), but I have knots in my back (from dancing/doing theatre) and quite possibly have carpal tunnel coming back to my right arm (I have knots in the muscles surrounding my elbows, and down my lower arm) - to me, I'm considering that I have a pinched nerve which is creating this sensitivity.  However, I'm looking for clues online that would help support this (I'm currently without insurance.)

But the last thing I expected to read (and found quite jarring) is that "oh, yes, this is MS."   Nice way to instill fear in me (and the rest of us.)

Any other ideas?
I am a 52 year old woman and I have had this problem for at least 2 years now and never mentioned it to my doctors. I had bells palsey 2 years ago and it has happend to only my right side. I could cut myself in half and it goes from my head to my toes including the inside of my mouth. I move my eyes either direction and it's like almost a dizzy feeling all the way to my toes. I see a specialist May 15th and I hope to GOD that he can fix it. I find it very hard to walk or even touch my skin I did find a warm bath helps to get my body all at the same temperature not sure why it feels good but once my body cools down it comes back.
Having read all of the above posts, and also having some of the symptoms myself, (the sore skin with no redness/bumps/lesions) I asked one of the doctors I work with what it was likely to be.  I am guessing here, but I would imagine that you have all had chicken pox at some time in your lives?  He explained to me that sometimes the virus left behind by chicken pox can flare up, not causing shingles or anything as serious as that, but the nerve sheath becomes inflamed for a while, then settles down again after a few days.  This may be triggered by another minor illness such as a cold or flu, or indeed by stress.  So assuming that anything more serious has been ruled out, then I think this is the likely explanation.  However, like with any unexplained symptoms that persist, it would make sense to see your doctor/physician if this doesn't resolve after a few days.
Hope this helps
Yeah I have other ideas, go see a doctor! Like I said, it could be a result of a number of things. I apologize for scaring you by mentioning MS.
for the last week, I have had the kind of sensitive skin issues most of you have described. It was accompanied by a bout of fatigue and irregular bowel issues. O am not sure if the other issues were just coincidence. The sensitivity starts just under my ribcage on my left side and runs down to my pelvic region, skips over the lower pelvis and picks up again on my inner left thigh. It is sensitive to fabric touching it and makes sleep fitful. I am a healthy 50 yo male who has no other health issues. I plan to schedule an appointment with a neurologist, but am interested in what the rest of your doctors have concluded. So far no one has mentioned that they have been successfully treated.
Im a 36 yr old Male in good health with the same sensitive skin problem (for about 3 weeks now!) The pain is on my stomach above my belly button (the area of pain is a little bigger than a baseball) and it feels like a sunburn but there's no redness or rash.

It only hurts if I touch it or when my shirt touches it which means pretty much anytime im walking, if I sit still there isnt any pain.

Ive noticed if I exercise and sweat a little the pain is reduced. Advil also helps reduce it for awhile but these are temporary fixes,  I wish I knew what the main cause of it.

Im currently without medical insurance but if it doesn't go away soon ill probably end up seeing a doctor as it can be annoying.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The most common reason is some bowel problem. The place becomes tender to touch. You have to go for a gastroenterologist consultation to fix your problem. If it would have been a skin problem/allergy then you would have some physical signs and symtoms (symptoms). Take care!
I just found this site this morning as I am scheduled to see a neurologists today.  No need to explain what I have as it has been explained by many of you in your posts.  I am 53, training for a duathlon, which may be a trigger, I just don't know.  I will post an update as I travel through this experience.
Waiting on test results, but the sensation is still alive and annoying to say the least.  Hope to hear something today.  
I have been studying the effects of harmful household fungi spores that produce similar symptoms to the skin when someone has come into contact directly on the dermis. Most often a case of brushing up against an area where there is mold present without realizing it is there, the forearm is very common. The torso is usually the result from leaving laundry sitting in the washing machine too long, or using towels supplied by your local gym. These fungi can be found in anyplace where it is ideal for them to grow. We have rescently found that the fiberglass insulation around air ducts is a common dwelling for fungus and if there are any cracks or openings in the ducts themselves, your air ducts provides a great vehicle for them to germinate and spread.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
But your immunity is very important. With normal body immunity it is difficult to get an infection. Sometimes you get it by exposure to these things, it is better to take precautions against these things. Take care!
Did anyone find out what it is? If it might be this fungi thing, how do you get rid of it?
So, I came back to this forum after I received a message from someone calling me a jerk (pretty funny, in fact, considering I'm the furthest thing from it - seriously, check out my Twitter feeds and you'll find that I am a pretty humorous, fun-loving gal - I have the same screen name there, too.)   But when I was barely able to lift my arm, type, or have feeling down my right arm, I was pretty freaked out and the last thing I expected to find was someone telling me it was MS.  As I said in my earlier post, MS is a horrible disease and I am truly sorry that you have been challenged by it.  However, most try to find the most likely reason for their ailment, rather than the worse-case scenario.  I DID happen to go to the doctor (chiropractor) and I had a severe pinched-nerve.   After several weeks of treatment, it disappeared.  So my suggestion to others with something similiar to what I had is to go to the doctor or chiropractor first, rule out the most minimal ailments first, and then go down the list if it's not diagnosed after first screening.  

But wow, never in a million years did I expect to be flamed on a message board.  
I also have the same symptoms.  I caught the Coxsackie virus from my 16 month daughter. I am wondering if a virus is causing the sensitve, suburned feeling on my right underarm/shoulder blade area? If so, is it something to be concerned about or will it disappear when I recover?
I have also had these same symptoms over the past few years.  They show up for a few days, then disappear as quickly as they came on.  I usually get it on one side of my face, inner thigh, back or feet.  The skin feels like it is burnt and hurts when anything touches it.  I have often wondered what causes it, but have not asked my doctor about it.  After getting very little sleep last night due to this condition, I decided to check online to see if anyone else has experienced the same symptoms.
Have any of you ever taken the drug ciprofloxacin, or any of the drugs in the fluoroquinolone family? I too experienced these same symptoms and many other things. I went to various doctors and had all of the test listed above, all of which turned out to be negative. After being perplexed over this, and beginning to feel there was no hope. I did find comfort in knowing that the syptoms (symptoms) had a very indentifiable cause.
Ciprofloaxacin 500 mg twice a day for 7 days. Even though im still "sick"
believe it helps to know your not going crazy.
I had similar symptoms two weeks ago.  Like all of you, I got on the web and found this thread.  Mine started on a Thursday on my mid lower back on the right side.  Two days later, I felt it on my upper right leg near the groin area but not on it and wasn’t as sensitive as the pain on my back.  Later that day, I started feeling it on my right rib area.  The pain only manifested itself if my shirt touched my skin or if I touched it softly.  The pain was not progressive if I pressed on my skin.  The next morning, as I removed my shirt to jump in the shower, I noticed a small red circle (about the size of a dime) on my stomach about an inch above my belly button (top-right).  The circle had small blisters on it.  I though it was a spider bite - it didn’t hurt or itch but the blisters were firm to the touch.  I scheduled an appointment with my physician the day after as I though I might need anti-biotics to treat the spider bite.  I explained my skin discomfort to the doctor and showed him the blisters.  It was no spider bite; I was diagnosed with herpes-zoster (shingles).  There’s a good article that explains the illness here: http://www.medicinenet.com/shingles/article.htm

In short, shingles is caused by the same virus that causes chickenpox and lives in the nervous system.  It remains dormant in most people and many that get it, usually do at an older age (60+) because the immune system weakens as we age but it can happen to anyone, at any age.  I’m 33 (male), 5’9, 147lbs.  I’m pretty active and consider myself healthy with a strong immune.  I get sick about once a year – seasonal cold/flu and rarely get any headaches.  Lately, I’ve been under a bit of stress from work and been loosing some sleep hours; this may have triggered if for me.

Hope this helps.  Be well everyone!
I have the same type of thing going on. It started in my lower left back, then moved on to my stomach and lower back. I don't think it is shingles since that has a very clear skin rash that shows up with it. I have though recently been bitten by a spider. The spider bite was on my left arm, not painful, only a little sensitive to the touch. The bite was a bump with a smaller bum next to it, I assume this was one fang got more venom in me than the other. Also it is now colder weather and we have had rain that had brought more spiders than usual in the house. Soon after I noticed the bite I had a bit of loose stool, and now a touch of stomach upset. In my opinion it is very possible some one could have the bite I have in a place they would not notice it. The bite now is actually going away pretty fast. I hope this helps you guys.
I have been diagnosed with fibro and cf.But Im still having problems with joint swelling,blisters on the scalp,soreness on the scalp,stumbling,remebering,eyes aching.etc.My sister has lupus..I also have thyroid,but its normal range.My mri showed lesions on one side,doc said cant be ms as that would be on one side.please help.
Thanks for posting so I know I am not crazy. My sensitive area is on my neck. Feels like a sunburn with nothing there. It has been going on for about 3 weeks now. Saw my GP yesterday and he is sending me to a neurologist. I am using  topical benzocaine to calm the hurt at the moment.
I just started to experience this same thing 4 days ago.  It started as a pain on my ribcage on the left side of my body.  It was spread to include the entire left side of my body from my waist up and just below my shoulder blades in the back and from my waist just below my breast in the frong.  However this morning, the pain has moved up to just below my shoulders and now includes my breasts.  It is progressing and I am getting concerned.  The pain feels like a bruise or sunburn.  It is very sensitive to the touch and feels more painful when it is touched by hand or by clothing.

I went to my doctor yesterday and she is puzzled.  She said it may be a pinched nerve or shingles.  She gave me a px for an anti-viral but I have no redness, sores or bumps associated with the painful areas.  I will keep checking back on this thread.  It is helpful to read what others are going through.  Thanks you.
I have been experiencing sensitive skin for the last six days. I first noticed it in my left arm from the top of my hand to my upper triceps. I then noticed it on the back of my neck and a little on the top of my head. These later two location have abated, but my upper right arm and shoulder are now sensitive. The right arm got better, the left arm worse, then the right arm better and the left arm worse. Now, the top of my right front thigh seems sensitive. I have fatigue even though I have been resting since Wednesday afternoon. I sometimes feel like I am about to nod off even though wide awake, a very strange feeling. I have thought about shingles since I had this two years ago, but I should still have some immunity and I have no skin blisters or anything else. I have also considered Lyme and other tick borne diseases as well as a spider bite, but the symptoms aren't typical. I think these are most likely. I will see my doctor by Monday if this continues. I am wondering about mold, fungus, parasites and viruses. I very much doubt this is neurological and a disease such as MS. BTW, I am 58, healthy and active.
I didnt read the entire list but someone previously posted a link about Shingles. Im an 18 year old boy and i feel the EXACT same stuff and everyone has been talking about and this site describes it very very well... right now im pretty sure this is what i have. but maybe not for you! http://www.medicinenet.com/shingles/discussion-7.htm

p.s. i do have a blistery area as the sight describes(about the size of a quarter)... altho i didnt read about anyone on here having that.....
I have had similar skin sensitivity that started about a week ago.  It only affects my left arm and when I am not moving it, it doesn't hurt.  I first noticed the pain when my shirt was rubbing against my skin and I thought I must have a bruise, but when I looked there was nothing there.  If I push on the area or rub it hard it doesn't hurt.  It only hurts if I lightly rub my arm or if something lightly rubs over my arm like my shirt.  I wouldn't say it feels like a sunburn though, more like a bruise would feel if somebody were to push on one.  It hurts but is not unberable.  I also had shooting pain through my arm for a few days but that has thankfully stopped.  I am a healthy 33 year old female with four kids.  My family seems to think it could be related to a pinched nerve, but when I talked to my nurse she had no idea what could be causing it.  She said if it continues, that I should be seen.  If anybody has any ideas as to what could be causing these symptoms please let us know.
Having read all the posts and seeking some answers myself, I will just add to other's observations.  CFSupporter, Jun 04, 2009 said he was training hard and developed symptoms.  I just got a treadmill and have been on it almost every day.  Nothing extreme, but went from inactivity to a lot of activity and developed this small area on my quadricept.  I haven't been sick since 2005.  I'm a 48 yo male.

I mentioned this to my 43 yo coworker and she was very familiar with the sensation and said it was brought on by the cold.  So, I mention these two things (exercise and cold) that are in common with my situation for what its worth.  I'm not going to go to the doctor since its not nearly as bad as others on this message board.  It is bordering on painful.  I will just try ibuprofen if it bothers me and will take a wait and see approach.  I will post again if I find anything useful to share.  I hope everyone's symptoms just go away on their own.  
I have this rash on my face. It at first was a cold sore then it flaired up in to this disgusting looking rash. I have psorisis and I really want to know what it is. Every now and then it will puss and it just looks nasty. I have been putting chapstick to keep it hydrated, I don't have any lotion, HELP!!!!!!!!!
I too am experiencing similar symptoms. It started with a bad itching rash on my back that will not go away and cold or sinus like symptoms
Yesterday I woke up with my left upper arm hurting with no redness but today when I showered I saw a baseball size red spot that is very sensitive to touch It feels strange to move my arm like it swollen Feel unusually tired and sleepy I don't have Insurance so cannot go to Doctor would really love to know what is happening.
I have had similar symptoms for 8 months now.  Mine started with two kidney shaped areas on my shoulder blades.  Just painful and sensitive, not itchy.  It didn't look like a rash, it felt like sandpaper though.  Over the months, it comes back occasionally.  It stays mostly on my upper back (both sides), but has also been felt on my ribcage.  My skin does not show a rash now, only the first time.  It is just very sensitive and prickly and very painful to put lotion on or lay down on it.  Can anyone help?
I'm having the same problem only on the back of my legs...It doesn't hurt to walk...but very sore to the touch.  I sit twelve hours every day I work and when I come home my legs are swollen.  lately they ache or should I say sore to the touch.. When I'm off I don't have the problem...Sometimes I take off just to help my legs...by the way I'm a 61 year female......can someone help or tell me whats going on>???
I have had this achey (achy) skin on my shoulder blades and my head up to my temples. Its been around for about a week now. My vision gets all messed up, dizzy, but with no rash. Thinking I need to check into this further. I have been healthy, with 3 kids, ages 9, 7 and 1. Just wanna know whats going on. Its scaring the heck out of me. I'm only 33.d
I am a 70 year old male in fairly good condition.  For the past 4 days I have had the same type of skin sensitivity as described by the previous writers.  Mine is located on the left side of my head from the top of the scalp down to just below the left ear.  The skin is sensitive to light touches, but my ear hurts all the time.  The pain increases if I press on my ear or the area right behind it.  I did have Chickenpox when I was 9 or 10 years old.  I am going to see a dentist in case I have an infected tooth that could be the cause of the soreness.  I have been told that an infected tooth root can cause pain in the side of the face/head.  My lower back started to get very painful about the same time my head developed the conditions I described.  Not sure if there is any connection between the two.

I am having the same troubles the last few days. However, I haven't ever experienced this before. My skin really hurts to touch or when it rubs against my clothing. It is on my right side under from my rib cage to my waist and then spreads around to my belly button. I had a severly pinched nerve on my right side 1 week ago and then I saw a chiropractor, which relieved my pinched nerve hurting my back but I'm wondering whether or not I need another adjustment due to my skin sensitivity. Just a thought, but maybe I still have a pinched nerve......Thanks!
I had senitive skin from around the left shoulder blade round to the left breast area which the doctor said was shingles even though I had no rash.  I have completed taken an antibacterial tablets course and am taking pain killers at present.  No rash has formed and the sensitivity is much less but have lost my appetite and get tired quickly.  I will see if this improves over the next few days or so before going back to the doc.
I have had these symptoms for the past 3 days and it started with the side of my left ribs and then the next day it also became sensitive on my left thy and on the 3rd day my left underarm area became sensitive too.    I'm wondering if people have been exposed to some chemical.  I think it might be helpful to list information like a detective would consider.
I am a health 36 year old male
I live in Southern California
I live in a city
my daily routine has not changed
food wise, I have only bought some fruit.  Everything else has been purchased a week prior to getting my symptoms.

I find it interesting at the dates people have made there posts.
I am a 47 year old male in the uk. I have the same feeling of very sore patches on my upper arms, the left one is worse, I can hardly stand my clothes to touch them. Also when i sit it is uncomfortable on the back of my legs. and i have a burning sensation in my palms and soles of my feet , I have had this constantly for a year now. I have seen a neurologist , he says he can find nothing wrong.he just did a few test by sticking a point in my toes etc, all feeling seemed normal. I had a few blood tests all ok  they said. I really have had enough of this life is a misery.what the hell is it
Has anyone related this to migraine? It is one of the symptoms and i noticed one of you have had pain behind one eye which suggests to me this is what it may be?
I'm a 54 year old healthy man. I've had the 'moving patches of sunburned skin feeling', all my life. Presently I have it on the left side of my face and most likely tomorrow it will have moved down my neck or to the back of the head or wherever it likes. I've noticed that this usually starts when I'm physically worn down; things such as lack of sleep or illness usually brings it on. It usually starts before I realize I'm sick as if it's a precursor to getting sick, such as a cold or flu. It's annoying when it happens but I don't get alarmed because I see it as a warning to take it easy for a while and pamper myself a little. I will usually eat a little better and get more rest. It can last a day or a couple of weeks and can pretty much appear anywhere. If I had to guess I would say it's somehow genetic because my brothers and sisters have the same issue.

Let me be clear, I know this is what most of you are talking about, example, if it's on my head it hurts to run my fingers through my hair, if its on my face it's usually on one side or the other, never the whole face, I've even had an eyelid hurt (one or the other). It's the same with my arms and hands, just one side or the other.

Chicken soup seems to help (believe it or not).

Ultimately I don't think it's something you need to be overly concerned with and I suspect worrying about it probably makes it worse. I imagine taking strong medicine for the pain will  just mask an underlying issue which, as I said, is probably just your body feeling run down.

Remember, I'm not a doctor. I'm just a guy who's lived with this since I was a kid.

Well, count me in.  I've been experiencing the "sunburn sensation" for almost a month now.  It's showed up suddenly one day in my lower/mid back, my stomach, ribcage and upper thigh but ONLY on the right side of my body.  I told my husband it's a little like having a light sunburn and a little bit like the feeling you get when your leg falls asleep.  It's not painful but it is uncomfortable.  
I went to see my kinesiologist and he worked on my spleen meridian which runs directly along the same path that the sunburn sensation seems to be following.  In three weeks it has gotten much better although it is not completely gone.  It's lingering in the ribcage area and particularly under the breast.  
I've been suffering from extreme anxiety symptoms for a year now.  I've been treated by a homeopathic doctor, a kinesiologist and massage therapist consistently.  My hope is that this sensation is just another manifestation of the anxiety/stress and nothing more.  I'm amazed at how many people are feeling the same thing.  
Some friends thought I might be experiencing neuropathy, but I just don't know. I don't have health insurance so MRIs and other expensive testing is not a possibility for me.  Hoping for some answers soon and I hope all of you get some relief in the future :)  
~Judy
I have noticed a skins sensitivity on my legs. It feels like a sunburn anything rubbing or touching it really hurts.  It really hurts for me to sit down.  I have had it for over a week sometimes it feels worse.  I am going to the docs and find out what it is.  I am very healthy work out everyday and I have never had this before.  ?????
I have also had this condition for many years... i have never been to the doctor for it because i thought they would all think i was crazy. im glad to know that there are other people who get this problem as well. i get this at different times, usually about 2-3 months apart from one episode to the next. all parts of my body have been affected. legs, arms, hands, feet, stomach... everywhere. it is so painful when you touch it or your clothes touch it. it usually lasts about 4-6 days with me. no visible evidence of any bruising or strenuous activity to cause the pain. my husband thinks im crazy. does anyone have a name for this condition or know what it is or what causes it?
I have had similar symptoms recently and wonder if it has anything to do with taking certain antibiotics... specifically z-pack.  Have others in this forum taken antibiotics on or around the time you were experiencing the symptoms?  Just something to possibly consider!
I guess I'm the latest to join this club... have sensitivity from my left ribcage to my stomach, and sometimes the hair on the left side of my head hurts to rub...One morning when my allergies were very bad, I felt pins shooting through my arms... I had the flu and a sinus infection a month ago- I took antibiotics as well... I also have the behind the eye twitching feeling... I get allergy shots...and I drink a protein shake made by AMP every other day. I've used the oven for a heater this winter... and I am under more stress than usual...

im 26 years old  and have a lot of pain. ive been going to a chiropractor for a year now and just had a MRI. the MRI was normal. anyway. yesterday afternoon i noticed a brand new pain ive never felt before. and i know my pains, although i have absolutely no explanation for them. on my left leg just above the knee on the inside thigh was this area, so painful to lightly rub my fingers across. so sign of injury. now this morning its bigger now its on the front of the leg above the knee also. i CANNOT take any more pains. im 26 havent even had children yet. and feel like im dying. with no explantion or cause. if anyone finds out what this thing is, please POST!
You can count me in!  I've had this strange sunburn feeling on the back of my left shoulder for a year now.  I always knew it was there but recently it got very tender and unusually painful to the touch.  The area is the size of a baseball.  I've also recently started feeling numbness and a tingling sensation on the left side of my face.  It feels like there is pressure behind my left eye. I am 53, athletic and very healthy.  I get sick with the flu or cold once every few years.  This is very distressing.
       I am a 45 yr old female. I've had painful patches of skin since I was a teenager. These patches range from a sunburn like sensation to feeling like someone took a cheese grater to my skin with no visual proof. A patch can last from a couple of days to over a week. I've had it appear on my torso anywhere from under the breast down,anywhere on the back, my legs and the back of my upper arms. Patches range from the size of my palm to a size that may wrap around a thigh or half way around my chest.
       I'll go months with out an episode and then I'll wake up with some part of my body cringing away from the sheets. I've never been to the Dr's while having this invisible affliction. When I did ask about it I got blank stares and no diagnoses, though I did have one Dr tell me that it sounded weird to him.
       No one I ever mentioned it to,not my family, nor friends have ever experienced this. No OTC creme or pill reduces the sensation and it's disappears as it appears, intensely and without warning.
thanks for listening. I agree that it can be very distressing.
26 year old athletic caucasian male; 5'11" 170. No medical issues, recent routine bloodwork was good. This is the third day feeling the odd sensation so accurately described in many previous posts. Wish I had a solution or answer, but I don't.

No clue if it's related or not, but I have a stressful job and have recently taken on a non-profit organization. However, these have been going for a while now and I am no more stressed than the past couple of years.

Hope we all feel better soon! I'm just glad to know I'm not crazy, and this weird feeling is real!
I to have this annoying sensitive skin, in November it was on my left shoulder blade, and stayed there for almost 3 months, by the time my doctor referred me to neuropathy it had gone. Now i have it again,( on one side of my tummy) I had a feeling it may have something to do with me being diabetic, I certainly hope not MS, seeing the doctor next week, which was his earliest appointment
I am a 28 year old female.  For the last two weeks I have had burning sensation in the right side of my neck.  It started out as a shock just at the base of my head toward the right side, throughout the week it progressed toward my right chest just next to my shoulder.  I cannot sleep, wear my hair down, wear clothes that touch it, scratch, take a shower, put heat on it or anything without pain.  Even the slightest touch for example a tissue moving across it creates a burning sensation under my skin.  My doctor at first thought Shingles but agreed it wasn't because there was no rash after a week and it would usually show up after 48 hours.  He has put me on pain muscle relaxers and pain meds (Vicodin) and neither worked.  The pain is so intense at times I cry.  There is a numbness feeling to the touch as if my neck was asleep.

I have had pinched nerves before and this does not seem like one.  I feel there is something else going on.
I can't believe all you people have what I have been experiencing a few months now -pain so intense in different areas that I can hardly bear to have clothing on.  I too notice that if I wear tight clothes a few hours to a few days later I have intense pain in that area.  I have considered viruses, bacteria, etc and so I don't skip baths/showers and I frequently use polysporin sparingly on area.  I now believe it is related to stress and highly recommend the following:  http://chronicfatigue.about.com/b/2009/03/07/painful-to-touch-fibromyalgia-tactile-allodynia.htm
It is hard in today's envoirnment to not stress so be sure to make time for (1) at least one thoughtfully prepared meal and take the time to enjoy it (2) a few minutes at end of day to meditate on day and (3) solve what you have control over but the rest you must 'let it go.' as you cannot solve everyone's problems., and as Paul the Apostle said, 'if there be anything good, think on this!.
Hey all!
So I am complicated. Total disc replacement low back 6 months ago. 2 ERCP's 3 months ago and a Rhizotomy on 3 levels lower back Monday.  Since then I had been feeling really good after the surgery on Monday. So I thought this would be a good time to get off of Vicodin. Now my skin hurts all over! It started on my torso today, but by tonight it had spread down to my knees and to my elbows and all the way up the back of my neck. (front and back of almost entire body) All things hurt.

Has anyone heard of a withdrawal sign from Vicodin like this? OR
Has anyone been on Vicodin then had these symptoms afterwards? OR anything with Lyrica?

I know I just had a whole bunch of nerves burnt with my surgery on Monday but my doctor says I should only feel that in my low back. (which I do) BUT the "sunburnt" feeling is spreading! It hurts to walk/move/sit/lay!!

Anyone??
I have been suffering with these roaming sensitive skin patches for more than 20 years.  I am 56 yrs old, I had chickenpox when I was 5, had my tonsils removed when I was 6, suffered from Crohn's disease for 12 hrs, symptom free since 1994.  I rarely get sick, no colds or flu, but I too have these horribly sensitive patches of skin.  One day I will wake or perhaps I can feel it coming on through the day.  It will stay for a few days and then be gone.  Sometimes I can go a few months and not have one but then I can have 2 different locations in a week.  In the meantime, tylenol and ibuprofen help sometimes.  The current episode I am having is a horrible pain in the bottom of my left heel, pain up the center of my leg to about midcalf and then a baseball size sensitive patch of skin on the back of my left thigh.  In all instances it has occurred below my waist except in one instance when I had it on my arm.  Yesterday the ibuprofen lasted as short a time as 1 hr and 15 minutes.  

Over the years I have seen 4 or 5 different doctors.  Had responses of blank stares, "never heard of such a thing" or "that's weird, any other problems?"  Obviously it is of no concern to any of my doctors.  My husband first thought I was crazy, but he has seen me  in pain and knows it is real.  

I can live with the pain, I've had worse with my Crohn's but it would be interesting to know what causes it.  I have tracked it for years and stress, flu, colds, back pain and poor eating are not correlating factors.  I always say my skin feels like it has the flu.  You know how your skin can get sensitive when you have the flu.  And it really hurts to sit on the toilet when it happens to the backs of my thighs which is the most common place.  

If anyone ever gets a definitive answer, please post it.
I'm glad to hear other people are experiencing the same thing I am.  I am a 49 year old woman.  About two weeks ago, I started feeling uncomfortable skin sensitivity in my right arm pit and I had shooting pains, in the same area, that kept me from sleeping, so I started taking Advil. The shooting pains went away after about about 9 days, but the sensitivity has spread to the outer part and down my arm, my back, and around my shoulder blade.  I also feel periodic pains in my arms and in my thigh muscles (unsure if it is related).  Just within the past couple of days, the skin where it all started is itchy, but there is nothing on the surface of my skin.  I keep thinking that I should make a doctor's appointment, but I then I keep hoping that it's just a flu bug of a sort and it will go away in time.
I read most every post and was very surprised that no one mentioned Fibromyalgia.  Like all of you, I have had the painful sensitive skin for several years.  Everything that I have read has led me to Fibromyalgia.  I have not been diagnosed with it.  Fibromyalgia is very difficult to diagnose because it has so many symptoms that are common to other ailments.  But I have been to doctors for just about every symptom on the Fibromyalgia list.  Having a diagnosis would be nice.  There really isn't alot of treatments for Fibromyalgia which in itself is discouraging.

Tired of the pain.
I'M READING ALL THE NOTES LEFT ON HERE AND NO ONE IS CRAZY. WHEN WE ARE NOT HURTING A SHIN SENSATION WE GET WORRIED THAT WE GOT SOME ILLNESS ITS CRAZY I BEEN DOING THIS FOR A LONG TIME I ALWAYS THINK I HAVE MS. BECAUSE ALL THE WEIRD FEELING I BEEN HAVING . I KNOW ITS NOT IN MY HEAD BUT I RELASP AND LOOK UP THINGS ON LINE AND THEN I GET STRESS OUT AND START CRYING AND WORRING . BECAUSE I'M NOT THE SAY LIKE I USE TO BE. I WANT TO BEABLE TO WAKE UP WITH MY SKIN REALLY LIKE MY LEFT SIDE EVERY THING WRONG IS ON MY RIGHT SIDE. MY HUSBAND SAYS IF ITS NOT GOING TO KILL YOU DEAL WITH IT . HE HAD CANCER SO HE KNOWS. I FEEL FOR ALL AND WERE YOUNG PEOPLE. AND ITS JUST CRAZY I WILL PRAY FOR ALL LOVE APRIL
Hi all,

I have this hot skin feeling to, I know what mine is down to and maybe  the cause for some of you.  I have had genital herpes for about 6 years now and before i get a lesion i get this sensitive skin feeling for about 2 days, it usually starts in my lower leg and moves up my body its very uncomfortable.  Herpes & shingles r related and has an affect on you nervous system so can be triggered by stress or low immune system.  Hope this helps some of you.
I think it's pretty clear, after reading all of these posts, that there are many possibilities, from shingles to a pinched nerve to stress, etc.

Mine started after going to a chiropractor.  I have a herniated disc in my neck and straightening of the cervical spine.  He adjusted my C1 and 2 vertebrae, and that night the fun began:

"Breathing trouble" which I've determined (and my PT agrees) that it is mostly the lack of sensation of air coming in and out due to numbness in my face/nose/throat region, especially on the right side. Zinging sensations in my legs, back, and arms. Numbness in my arms and hands. Numb feet. Strange pains (as in different from the normal pain the last two years) at the base of my skull and in my neck. Areas on my body, mainly face, arms and legs, which feel either hot, or wet and cold. If I tilt my head a certain way, my arms go instantly numb. Every position, on the back and on the sides, is uncomfortable. Sleeping on my stomach is out of the question.

And, what you all speak of here.. a hyper-sensitive to touch skin sensation, as though every nerve ending was firing at once, as if the lightest touch was actually sandpaper.  Mine is on the right side of my face, and on my left thigh.

I had this that night and then every day for about a month and a half.  it went away for a month and now it's back... it started tonight with the "sunburn" sensitivity and progressed to include all the other symptoms I mentioned.  I have never had the Chicken Pox, btw.

I've had X-Rays and CT scans, all normal.  No MRIs yet, since I get to enjoy the benefits of the military medical system and you have to be practically dead to get serious attention.  But, without the benefit of a look inside, I really think mine is caused by a pinched (or damaged) nerve in my neck... and possibly even spinal cord involvement.  
It's interesting you mentioned a "shock" at the base of your skull prior to the skin sensitivity problems beginning.  The night this all began months ago, I had the same feeling.  First my neck made a click sound as my cervical spine moved a bit (after years of relative immobility due to muscle spasms) and then I swear I could even hear a 'snap!"  when the shock feeling happened.  

Similar to a lot of the other posts my skin on my right forearm and up across the lower palm of my right hand is very sensitive to the touch. Also just tonight the inner side of my right leg closer to the back of my knee as well. Only had this feeling for about 2 days but wanted to see what it could possibly be. Reading some of the above posts I have had a pinched nerve a couple years ago, and have frequent back pain but it isnt anything new. However, recently just last week I visited an uncle of mine who just happened to be diagnosed with shingles. He has is on the left side of his head and down around to his cheek. My aunt said that he is not contagious once he starts scabbing and I have had the chicken pox before. Is it possible that this is from being exposed to him and his home? I am a healthy 24 year old female and am a little concerned.
No, you can't catch shingles from another person.  You only get shingles if the virus, from your bout with chicken pox, went dormant in your nervous system.  

From mayo clinic: "A person with shingles can pass the varicella-zoster virus to anyone who hasn't had chickenpox. This usually occurs through direct contact with the open sores of the shingles rash. Once infected, the person will develop chickenpox, however, not shingles."

From medicine net: "Shingles can be spread from an affected person to children or adults who have not had chickenpox. But instead of developing shingles, these people develop chickenpox. Once they have had chickenpox, people cannot catch shingles (or contract the virus) from someone else.."

Thanks for your response it was helpful. I did some reading as well last evening. This morning and all today I still have the skin sensitivity but I am having some chest pains when I breathe in. Maybe I am just looking too much into the little stuff. Its probably just stress. I will make an appointment tomorrow if I am still feeling the same.
I JUST HAD SURGERY TOO AND I GOT SOME NERVES CUT AND I TOOK VICODIN FOR MAYBE 2 DAYS AND NOW I HAVE STOPPED. SINCE MAYBE ABOUT 5 DAYS AFTER MY SURGERY IS WHEN I EXPERIENCED THIS SENSATION ON MY SHOULDER BLADES, CHEST, AND SPINE. AND IT IS ALMOST UNBEARABLE. UNFROTUNATELY WITH ALL OF THE POSTS LISTED HERE I HAVE YET TO SEE AN REMEDY/CURE BESIDE CHICKEN SOUP WHICH I KNOW WON'T WORK FOR ME. I PLAN ON SEEING THE DOC THIS WEEK AND HOPEFULLY THIS CAN BE FIXED B/C I HAVE A LOW PAIN TOLERANCE.
I get the raw skin feeling on one side of my face and my eyeball when my Epstein Barr virus flares up, it's usually when I also have the sores on one side of the roof of my mouth. That whole side of my body, especially my head, face and neck are hypersensitive and then my lymph nodes on that side of my neck become tender. I have recently learned that I have gluten intolerance and I think it causes the EB virus to flair up. I have read that Gluten Intolerance can aggravate immune and autoimmune disorders. I went on a gluten and dairy free diet to and felt amazingly better in a matter of days, my achy joints went away, GI distress went away and my mind felt more clear. It was amazing! I reintroduced gluten to to confirm that I had a problem tolerating it and immediately had GI problems....bloating, cramping, diarrhea and the following day the raw skin feeling affected my face on one side and I got sores in the roof of my mouth on that same side. I also found out that another symptom of gluten intolerance is mouth sores.  So, I am staying away from gluten and hopefully I will not have any problems with EB virus. I think it's all related.
the skin on my left side of face hurts including my eyeball! It feels like when you get cold the skin hurts to the touch except it hurts even I don't touch it. SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME???? PLEASE ADVISE!!!
I have outbreaks with herpetic whitlows on my right index finger. I noticed that people keep mentioning shingles, also related to herpes. I have had the burning skin feeling for almost a year and started the finger blisters about 4 months ago. If I take valtrex the blisters go away. I'm going to check with my dr to see if he thinks they are related.
well here this guys i have the symptons of sensetive skin round my ribs inner thigh under arm lower back moves around to feel like sunburn had the pain behind the eye and the ear have had these symtons 8 days now  to read alot of mention of shingles on here and whoooo  i look after my grandaughter three days a week and she at present has yes chicken pox came out 3 days ago coinsidence or wot i have had chickenpox as a child to but i thought you get rash and sores with shingels  still popping to dr tom just to be sure
THE CAUSE  How many of you have herpes simplex?  I bet all lot of you - and some of you don't even know you have it.  Well, I have had it for about 20 years now and one of the main symptoms prior to an outbreak would be areas of sore skin.  It could be located in different areas and seem to "travel" to new areas during the outbreak.  No visible lesions or blisters - just super hypersensitive skin.  Then I would get the blisters and it would finally dissipate after about a week or two.  That went on for about 10 years.  Now, I no longer get the blisters, but whenever my immune system is low (fighting a cold, high stress, etc.) the sore skin comes back.  Like right now...it's such a great feeling...which is why I am here to try and help others.  It is not MS or a pinched nerve or any curable neurological disorder.  Believe me, I've been to all the doctors and specialists and not one of them could give me a definite diagnosis; and yes, I have tried just about every drug they could throw at me and nothing works.  The best answer I could come up with is that it is definitely a viral issue.  Similar to shingles in terms of topical pain (without the shingle blister), but I believe more related to the herpes simplex virus.  Unfortunately, there is no cure for herpes simplex and its associated symptoms.    What I have found most interesting, is the lack of knowledge on this subject by the medical profession including the neurologists and other specialists.  Has anyone tried alternative medicine like acupuncture, etc.?
I have PMR.. Started when 70 yrs of age.  Very painful.  The only medicine is prednisone.  The cause is on the frontier of hypothsisis...and claims that unresolved pieces of long ago bacteria find a place to hide in the crevices of our bodies and somehow erupt.  It seem to be a later year illness.

Has anyone tried Predniosone?
I have been getting this sensation on the top left of my head for years. It comes and goes. IN my experience it comes after either stress episdoes or if I am run down, very similar to Herpes attacks. At the oment I have it worse than ever before but I think it was bought on by anethisis during a small operation. I think that knocked my system around and It certainly triggered a herpes attack also. Either its related to the Herpes or some mild form of Shingles. I find that a dose of sunlight almost immediately relieves the paid so maybe some vitamin D is required
ANYONE HAVING THE WEIRD SENSATION ON THEIR FACE GET TREATED ASAP!!! YOU DON'T WANT WHAT HAPPENED TO ME!!
READ PLEASE!!!

I have Bell's Palsy right now and recovering from it. I don't feel my eye close and it doesn't close completely. I can smile a little now and I don't twitch anymore. Still having trouble blowing my nose, eating and sleeping. I was taking Prednisone and Valtrex for it and while I was finishing the dose of Prednisone I started having the burning sensation on top of my thighs, arms and shoulder. But not only that but the top of my stomach as well, pain around my stomach and when I go to bed it hurts by back. These symptoms are caused by the Hiatal Hernia (so I've heard). The sunburn sensation might be also caused by the nerve entrapment cause near the neck area. When it hit me, the right side of my face had this type of deep pressure. Then it hit my tongue. Everything taste slightly different to me now. My mouth went on to my left side and as I went to brush my teeth, I could not spit or show my teeth in front of the mirror.
So in order:
Bell's Palsy
Hiatus reflux (the hernia maybe developing)
and the Fibromyalgia (What it's called for now).

They all are linked to having depression or stress. Which makes sense because I was hit in the month of May with many things that happened in my life one after another. Literally crying almost everyday for the past 4 weeks and also I'm a full time student, finals were in that month too. Trying to keep up with my projects I had to keep all that built up and try to do well in school so I guess all that exploded in my sleep when I felt a VERY SHARP PAIN in my neck and couldn't move it properly, followed by those pressure pains on the right side of my face.

Bell's Palsy is caused by the herpes virus. Got checked and all came out negative. I don't have herpes.

I recently got Carbamazepine, which does not make much sense (All the things it says its for I don't have but the trigeminal neuralgia) but it is the right drug for me right now.

I'm going in for another look and see if this is all stress/depression related or if anyone can get by breathing! Because once I find out, I'll share it with everyone.
Hello I am a 24 year old female whose had the following symtoms (symptoms) since being a teenager.

My symptoms... very tender sporadic areas on the skin, that feels like being scrapped by sandpaper or pricked with pins... but only when touched.  usually on my arms, lasting a day or 2 at most, and maybe 1 time a month if that.  

clear medical history, its not reactions of antibiotics, or stds and i'm not fatigued when it happens.

i am going to ask my doctor and i will reply with his reply.  all i know is i ask a lot of other people but not many understand.  i'm almost embarrassed to ask the MDs i work with hahaa.  silly i know.  i do believe it is neurologic, may be harmless but it has to deal with the nerves because thats how we feel sensations!

FYI if symptoms last more than 3 days, you have pain, redness, or swelling, its necessary to call your doctor.  
I've had similar problems for the past 4 years.  I thought it was from taking Nexium.  But after I quit taking Nexium while I felt a little better, I still had off/on problems.  I got on Gabapentin that helped.  The skin irritation focuses primarily around my knee and above it in both legs.  I thought it could be the keyboard emitting radiation since I have the keyboard in the little drawer you pull out rather than having it on top of the desk.  I thought it could be from the copier near from that I am only a few feet away from.  Fuser odors I'm breathing?  Paper dust I'm breathing?  I've had MRI's of my spine and brain, all types of tests and blood tests.  All negative.  I had shingles on my chest about 9 years ago (I'm a 46 year old male) and thought its the after-effects of shingles, as clothing etc can make your skin uncomfortable.  Its as if the hairs on my skin, when touching clothing, pricks my skin at times too.  Well, I have had a paper shredder under my desk eversince I started having these problems.  No sooner than my shredder broke down recently and I had to toss it the symptoms started subsiding dramatically.  I am thinking the paper dust that has come out of the shredder collects in my clothing, on my skin, esp around my legs under the table where the shredder is.  I breathe in that paper dust.  I  think breathing in paper dust for 4 to 5 years now has caused me to have this health problem, and that it has caused some damage to my nerve endings/myelin sheath.  Something to think about everyone.
My symptoms started about a week ago, my left foot was sensitive, then my whole leg hurt and now it's my left inner thigh and buttock and it hurts when i sit and i have to sit a LOT. same here too, like a sunburn and a little numb to the touch. yesterday my pee started burning. went to the doc, he tested me and i have no urinary t. infection and it doesn't burn it just hurts um... down there on the left side only close to where my sensitive thigh and butt area begin. like jne13 i have finals now and was crying pretty much non stop since the end of may cuz of something personal that's been coming and going. i have no herpes, or any kind of STD's i am going to the doc tomorrow again, but i think it really may be stress related. it is the first time this happened to me, this burning irritating annoying pain in my butt and i gotta say, i don't think i have been this sad before for so long... not even after my mom died, which i can remember now, i had terrible heartburn during the mourning period and my hair fell out... hmmm, so this does look like stress to me. My body just deals with it differently this time? Really hope it's not MS or anything scary like that because i have been weak and dizzy a few times this week as well.
so what is this???
I have noticed a link with my skin sensitivity to tylenol.  It is usually associated also with my monthly cycle, when is the tiime I take the pain medication.  However, if I go a few days without taking it the sensation  goes away.  I have only noticed this when I take this particualr medication.  Has any one else who is experiencing this sensations remember taking pain (tylenol) during the time or before?
I'm into day 3 of the sunburn feeling on the inner/upper right arm - no visible signs but sore to touch.  I've found the posts very helpful - I think I can confidently put my condition down to stress - I've had a festering money-related situation building up to climax in the last week and although I've finally started dealing with it - all the worry & lack of sleep has taken its toll. As a result of the comfort of knowing it's not uncommon, and having thrown in the towel with the tax man, I'm really hoping for it to start subsiding now.
I'm into day 3 of the sunburn feeling on the inner/upper right arm - no visible signs but sore to touch.  I've found the posts very helpful - I think I can confidently put my condition down to stress - I've had a lfestering money-related situation building up to climax in the last week and although I've finally started dealing with it - all the worry & lack of sleep has taken its toll. As a result of the comfort of knowing it's not uncommon, and having thrown in the towel with the tax man, I'm really hoping for it to start subsiding now.
i started the sunburned sensations on my ribs and fatigue 3 days ago. after i found this site i feel much better knowing i'm not the only one. i have a lot of stress at the moment which seems to be a major factor with all of you.thanks for making me not think i was going crazy.
i wish we would all just stop being silly and ask a professional haha.  i will one day.  many ppl here are talking about different things tho.

-traveling pain/soreness commonly on ribcage
-skin sensitivity lasting weeks w severe pain
-skin soreness lasting 1-3 days w minor irritation
-pinched nerves, chiropracters, ect ect
I have all the same symptoms and have to take pain killers to get through the day and night.  But................all I see is people telling their symptoms....has anybody actually gotten a diagnosis as to what this burning sensation is?????  I am in the middle of testing.  I go tomorrow to see a cancer specialist that scares the absolute hibejeebees out of me.
I am a 48 year old female experiencing all the same symptoms.  The sensation began on the day I was returning from a holiday.  I have a very stressful job and had been stressed before leaving but I am also terrified of flying in recent years and get myself so worked up over the flight that I think I am having a heart attack. The sensation of sensitive skin began on my upper back but I put it down to getting a slight sunburn. A week or so later It started on the underside of my upper left arm and my left chest.  I put that down to a cardigan that I had worn straight after purchasing.  Thought it might have nylon thread in seam.  I didn't tie both together at first.
Last Wednesday I tripped on a paving stone and fell onto my arm causing pain in all the same areas!!! This then changes the type of pain and mistakenly I assumed they were all related.  I went to the NHS24 web site and entered "pain between shoulder blades and left arm" and it told me to call 999!!! I knew what ever it was that was happening wasn't a heart attach as I have regular health checks and I am relatively healthy.
I was very encouraged to read all the posts as some are identical to my experience with the exception of the fall.  I also had chicken pox as a child and i believe that its stress related.  I am also very tired and had a blood check recently to confirm if I had iron deficiency again, but it was negative for the first time in my adult life!
If my symptoms persist I will go see the doctor but I suspect they will be of no help.  It makes me feel less stressed knowing that my condition appears to be common. Maybe that alone will make it go away. Here's hoping.
Thanks Folks for all your help!!
I am a 27 year old female who has experienced something like this before, but it only lasted about one day.  I have now had this sunburn like sensation for one week and it started on my upper thigh.  The next day it moved to my belly up to below my breasts and around to my back down to my butt.  It is also ONLY on the right side.  There are not any blisters or redness or rashes.  Same symptoms as everyone else.

I have been taking a RX Ibuprofen of 600 mg for my tooth, so who isn't to say that it's not a reaction to that.  I work at a doctor's office, & I was told it could very well be dry skin.  I started buy Eucerin & Gold Bond and it decreased the pain during the day to where I couldn't feel it.  I highly suggest getting some of that.  

Also, I am going home today to rewash my sheets, b/c I was also told that when clothes are left in the washer for a long amount of time (which I have a TERRIBLE habit of doing) that it can cause detergent mildew and that is severly bad for the skin.  It makes sense to me, b/c I went to sleep and woke up this morning with the sensation under my arm.  I have a tendency to sleep on my right side with my arm under my pillow...Hope this may help.
I too am in day four of this sun burn, bruise feeling in the left side of my chest and around my back feeling. I am a 55 year old healthy male living in Az. I have had a case of the shingles many years before and it was more painful than this. But the only thing that feels the same is that the pain starts right in the middle of my chest and goes around the left side of my ribs. my shingles attached itself to a nerve that started right at the top of my head and ran down the entire left side of my body. So to me it does look like a virus that attaches to a nerve and creates this feeling in the area that that nerve strains to. Only my opinion.
I began feeling a sunburn-like pain on the skin of the right side of my chest, underneath my right arm, and on the right side of my upper back, that started about 2 weeks ago. The pain began as a mild irritation, and quickly turned into a severely sharp, painful reaction to ANYTHING touching it- my shirt, sitting back on the couch, applying deodorant, etc. I winced in pain as the car hit a bump in the road, which shifted my shirt just a little. There are no visible signs of what may cause the problem, just pain. I talked with my dad, who used to work a lot with fiberglass insulation, and found that more than likely, the construction work I did a few weeks ago may have subjected me to some fiberglass insulation, the powder of which causes the exact same reaction. Hope this helps someone!
I have been experiencing the exact same thing others have discribed. (sensitive spots that move around the body with no visual symptoms) I was actualy surprised that this was so common.. For me its just been something slightly annoying and mainly just wierd. I have had this sensitivity go on for just over a month now, starting from my inner forearm moving to inner bicept to shoulderblade to upper shoulder then neck. I had just assumed it was relating to a pinched nerve, because that is what it felt like (and this coencided with re-starting weightlifting). I have a twin brother who i asked about this and he can relate to the same sensations as well as he has experienced this periodicaly, though nothing lasting this long. Doing a bit more research i found this site: http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms/burning_skin_sensation.shtml Which i think nails it on the head for me and seems to relate to a lot of the posts on here.

For me, I have had a very stressfull last year and just started to hit the weight room again when i started getting this sensitive skin. This makes a lot of since as weightlifting often adds stress on the body.

MY TAKE ON STRESS:

First of all, I think stress is one of those things that offten goes under-estimated in terms of the kinds of affects it can have on the body. I know it was something I didnt appreciate untill just recently. This past year was probably the most stressfull I have experienced in my life, and oddly this stress was created by my own ambitions.. I decided that I would lead a large design project while being a fulltime student in aerospace engineering and continue weight lifting 5 times a week. This worked for about 4 months, however stress became so bad for me at that point that i became ill with cronic (chronic) fatigue..as a result I had to stop weight lifting because I didnt have the physical energy to continue. Further, in the mornings I felt like I had been hit by a buss.. I was aching, dry eyes, mental fog.. the works.. it took me nearly 6 months to really start realizing what was going on and get things under controll.. for so long I was in denyal about the stress i was under because these things were things I had chosen to put my self through.. I also viewed my self as a 'strong' individual and capable of coping with this kind of pressure.

So long story short(er), over this past year I have learned so much in terms of the PHYSICAL affects stress can have on your body. First of all it can cause very reall symptoms, and further, it can be a slipperey slope. Stress can lead to anxiety which in turn blows any small (and often stress related) afliction out of proportion causing worse stress and so on... Durring my bout of fatigue I did exactly what we are all doing now... reading other peoples stories and fearing you have some incurable unknown disease.. it only makes things worse. Since then however, I have taken actions to get stress under controll and have RECOVERED from the cronic (chronic) fatigue.

So my take on this...(for those with the symptoms like mine and have stress in their lives) Stop scaring yourselves with the what-if's on this one as this is most likely just an effect of stress/anxiety. I am 100% confident that if I focus on reducing stress this too will pass, and so should you.
Hi all, I would like to share with you my experience on same subject. I started having the same symptoms like sensitivity and irritability of skin on my abdomen and lower chest area from yesterday. Before this, for past 2 days I was having fever accompanied with cough and sore throat. Yesterday my ENT consultant gave me a course of ciprofloxacin to be taken for 5 days. I don't know if the skin problem is associated with the throat infection. Since today morning the skin irritation was very bad.

However, by afternoon I tried something which brought instant relief. What I actually did is apply wet packs on my affected skin area while lying down on bed. I used a bowl of plain water (at room temperature) and soaked a cotton towel in it. I would place the wet towel on my abdomen for few minutes and then repeat the same thing for almost half an hour. Now it is 4 hours since I completed this session and I can say as of now the irritation has gone about 90%. This home treatment which is absolutely safe can be tried by anyone. I hope this helps everyone.
I have had the same skin soreness ribcage and belly button area.
I started taking periostat for peridotitis and although a very weak antibiotic put it down to a reaction to this. However the same night I started taking the medicine I had a migrane (migraine)!!! again thought this was down to the prescription trying to link all together I found this on a website. - Can anyone else confirm the migrane (migraine) angle?

Allodynia is a very uncomfortable heightened sensitivity to touch. Slight touches that normally are not even noticed can cause pain.

In a migraineur, this usually starts after the migraine hits. Most often the pain in on the skin (cutaneous allodynia) - on the scalp and also on the arms. This can make wearing of jewelry, shaving (face), or even the normal sleeves on your clothes unbearable. Every movement causes more pain. Brushing hair, heat from a stove - even wind can become a problem.

Muscle tenderness can also be a symptom. Tenderness of the muscles in your head and neck, increased pain when doing normal movement such as bending or shaking your head. These symptoms can continue to develop hours after your migraine attack begins.

What causes this pain? It is believed that it may result from the neurons in the brain which are activated during migraine and may trigger the worsening hypersensitivity. These same symptoms are being studied in patients with various types of headache not classified as migraine.

Studying this phenomenon is helping researchers understand how changes travel throughout the brain and body during a migraine attack. As we specify which neurotransmitters are involved, it will help us know how to target future headache and migraine treatment. It has been discovered that the common migraine class of drugs, triptans, are much less likely to help once this hypersensitivity has begun. The key in this case is to take them early on in a migraine attack, before the symptoms become too "entrenched". See this issue of HeadWay for more on different triptans and allodynia.
Ive been feeling sensitive skin on my forearm,and apparently upper back and a weird muscle like pain on my hand idk this started on my forearm like 2 weeks ago and just today on my upper back. So its the upper right part of my back and my left outer forearm. The left side of y body s in more pain then my right,this is strange since I've been reading that it has been doing the same to others according to the comments. I would really want to know whats going on if the information above and below helps please contact me at ***@****

Ethnicity: Hispanic (light skin though)

Eye color: blue/green/grey

age:14-15

I also do a lot of sports like skating,parkour, I also lift weights and so fourth idk if this might be cuz of it Ive been getting really bad headaches too out of nowhere lately.
I have a theory on this. I developed the skin sensitivity about 2 years ago. It started in my face and scalp but only on the left half and lasted a day or two. I would also feel like I was getting an earache. Occasionally I get it in my left arm and leg, like today. I went to my doctor and he tested my blood levels and I was low in B-12, which he had guessed before he ran the test. He said when you are low in different vitamins it can cause this. I had also noticed it happened around my period every time. I am guessing that hormone fluctuations could affect it too. I took the vitamins for a while and was fine. It flared up again after about 6 months of no vitamins.
So perhaps it is hormonal or a vitamin issue.
hi i had the pain and sentastion under my right breat to the back and no rash or blisters doctor said it was shingles right where the bra goes under the breast feels like that area is tight. then i had the sensation in tha leg right side went to the neruo doctor took a mri of the brain and spine. in aug this year  it came back ms. i'm not saying every one that has all this going on with them has ms. just get it check and then you wont be stressing about why your body and skin is doing this and felling like this. because stress can do all this to your body, love april
THANK YOU! I have had all the same symptoms...sunburned feeling to inside of my upper right arm...that horrible tingling/sensitive feeling made worse by clothing etc.

I have had shingles and chickenpox in the past and recently had a really nasty fluey cold. The arm thing started about 4 days ago and is horrible, but you have put my mind at rest. I found all the talk of MRI scans and MS quite alarming to be honest, so thank you for your reply, just knowing that you had spoken to the doc where you work has eased my mind no end :)
I have experienced the pain you describe for 5-10 years.   Yesterday it was on my leg and today it is on my forearm.  I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, sarcoidosis and osteo arthritis.   I get random pain on different days and "sore skin" (is what I call it) anytime with no warning and it stays days, weeks or at various intervals. I am a 61 year old female.  I haven't found anything that helps.  I do take meds for sarc., but that doesn't help the sore skin.  I hope somebody can come up with a cure or a fix.  Thank you.  Sharon
wow! Im glad i fount this site. I tell my friends & they think im crazy! They just dont understand. No one can feel your pain but u! I have a sunburn feeling all on my left arm going around the left side into my back. I think it might be caused by a pinched nerve. But, I have had it before in the stomach & other areas & after so long it goes away. I went to my doctors yesterday & he said it was a nerve that was beeing bothered & to take ibprofen & to ice 20 mins & heat 40 mins. But, he is a reg doctor, not specialized in this so I just dont know. Someone else said probally bc stress but why does it happen when I 1st wake up?? I am thankful for this site & glad to know im not the only one out there with this. if I go to anymore doctors, which I probally will, I will deff keep you guys informed!
hey everyone i just want to say that i have herpes and i have these same symptoms.  I feel this is a side effect when getting an outbreak.  im not saying this is the cause but std is something to look into.
I'm a 60 year old Male & within the past week or so, I noticed the "tingling"; 'sun burn' kind of feeling in my Back - the right side only.  It has since lessened in my back & moved to my Right Breast area.  As many here have said, it feels like Sunburn & it's sensitive when Clothes touch it & yet I have NO rash at all.  All appears as usual.

I recently lost my job & I've read above about the Stress side of this.  My Health Insurance is gone as of now; so I'll just 'ride this out' for awhile.

Glad this Thread is here!!

Don
I CAN SAY I HAD WHAT EVRY ONE HAD ON HERE. THE TINGLING THE SKIN SENSATION THE STRESS KNOW GOD WHAT IS GOING ON IN MY BODY. STRESS CAN CAUSE ALOT LOOK IT UP I WENT TO DOCTORS FOR 3 YEARS I HAD BALANCE TROUBLE AND WEAKNESS TINGLING AND JUST GETTING STRESS OUT BECAUSE WHEN I WOULD LOOK IT UP IT CAME BACK MS. I KNOW ITS SCARY. I TOOK A MRI OF THE BRAIN AND SPINE I DO HAVE MS THIS AUG IM WRITING TO SAY NOT EVERY ONE WITH THE TINGLING AND SKIN SATIONS HAVE MS SO DONT GET STRESS OUT JUST GO TO A NERUO DOCTOR BECAUSE IT IS A NERVE TROUBLE . DO IT NOW BEFORE IT DRIVES YOU CRAZY AND THE BODY GOES STRESS OUT. LIFE IT TO SHORT TO WORRY ABOUT WHAT YOU GOT WHATS YOU FIND OUT THEN YOU GET ON WITH LIFE AND ITS OK LOVE APRIL
Well, we almost all agree that we're experiencing (almost) the exact same feelings; but has anyone here gotten better ON THEIR OWN??  I mean, did it just 'go away' in time??

Thanks!

Don
i can say mine tingling in the hands ,feet around my back under the breast no didnt go away on there own. if its caused by anixty or stress maybe mine is ms. i can say in the 3 years of having it its going away alittle bit. but when you get nerve damage it doent and you have to live with it think about it the tingling if its not going to kill you live with it. thats all the doctors would say just every day you have to live with it. i'm sure maybe in time it will go away or when you know wht it is then your not stressed out it might go away but if you have nerve damage it doesnt. you have to go to a neruo doctor to see because its a nerve. i hope this helps you guys . it help me knowing i got ms i'm not stressing out any more. as i said before not every one has ms so dont think you do go to the doctor and find out what you have and why your skin feels like the way it does. love april
I'm SO sorry to hear that you have M.S., April!  I know JUST how devestating it can be; as my Partner, Liz has had M.S. for almost 40 years.  On a daily basis, I have seen what it can do to you.  Get a good Neurologist; as Liz has had many(!!!) over these years & alot of them don't have a clue!!  Do some research before they hook you up with either Tysabri, Copaxone, Rebif, Avonex, etc., etc., etc.  You may not see the 'results' you hope for & some of the Side-Effects can be rough.  Now, I'm no Doctor & don't profess to be.  I'm just a guy who's watched the LOML deal with M.S. since we've been together (2002) & none of these Drugs and/or Treatments have really worked for her.

My "tingling" sensations are nothing compared to having M.S. - - - all the best to you, April!!

Don
PLEASE DON'T BE SORRY ABOUT MY MS. THEY CAME A LONG WAY YOUR LOVE ITS BEEN A LONG TIME FOR HER 40 YEARS THATS LONG I HOPE TO HAVE THAT MUCH TIME I'M 48 YEARS OLD I TAKE AVONEX AND ITS BEEN GOOD NO SIDE EFFECT YET ITS BEEN 7 SHOTS I KNOW A LADY THATS BEEN ON AVONEX FOR 20 YEARS AND SHE IS DOING GREAT . THERE ARE SOME PEOPLE WHO DONT TAKE ANYTHING AND THERE ARE DOING GREAT GOD HAS A PLAN FOR US AND WE JUST GOT TO LIVE WITH IT. I'M EATING HEALTHY AND EXERCISE  AND JUST TRY  TO LIVE EACH DAY. I WALK MY DOG AND I THANK GOD MY LEGS CAN WORK. I DO EVERYTHING SLOWER BUT AT LEAST I CAN. WHAT YOU WROTE IS OK BUT TRY TO BE A LITTLE BIT MORE POSITIVE OK. LIVING WITH MS IS HARD BUT YOU HAVE TO HAVE HOPE. THEY DO GOT A PILL OUT NOW. BUT I'M GOING TO STICK WITH AVONEX AND YOU KNOW I REALLY THINK A CURE IS COMING SOON. FOR 3 YEARS I BEEN GOING TO DOCTORS AND LOOKING THINGS UP ON THE INTERNET IT ALL CAME OUT TO BE MS. BUT ALL THE DOCTORS SAID NO APRIL YOU DONT HAVE MS. SOME TIMES I THINK IF I DIDNT HAVE THE SPOTS IN MY SPINE OR BRAIN I WOULD THINK I STILL DONT HAVE MS. BUT I DO I LIVE IN OHIO SO I GO TO THE CLEVELAND CLINIC THEY DO THE MELLON CENTER JUST FOR MS THEY DO HAVE OTHERS HERE LIKE THE OAK CLINIC IN MASSILON YOU CAN LOOK THEM UP I JUST GOT TO GO ALONG WITH IT AND MAKE EACH DAY COUNT. THATS GREAT TO ME 40 YEARS TELL LIZ I WOULD  LOVE TO TALK TO HER OR EMAIL AND BE FRIENDS I'M ON A SITE FOR MS ************* ITS NICE PEOPLE ARE REALLY CARING MAYBE YOU GUYS ARE ON THERE ALL READY. WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM HER. AND YOU JUST LOVE HER AND BE THERE FOR HER AND THATS WHAT KEEP HER GOING. AND ABOUT YOU TINGLING ITS NOT CRAZY TO THINK ITS NOT THE SAME AS US WITH MS. ITS  SCARY WHEN YOUR SKIN FEELS THAT WAY BUT AS MY HUBBY SAYS IF ITS NOT GOING TO KILL YOU LIVE WITH IT. IT WORKS FOR MS TO . LOVE APRIL
I've had this sensitive skin, almost like bee-sting sensitive but its not deep when i push on it. I woke up one morning with it a week ago and also could not urinate. I also am having problems having bowel movements, regardless of laxatives, stool softners, fiber. I have seen a urologist, had ultrasound done of bladder/kidneys, all good, MRI of lumber to rule out nerve damage/herniated disk, all good and xrays today which showed all the bowel in there but not necessarily in the location of my bladder. I have to strain just to urinate and the pain in my skin has now covered my entire hip and buttock area. Honestly, I think my chiropractor did something to strain the area and really hoping it will pass however i have read alot of the symptoms with MS and other disorders and i do fit alot of the symptoms, so i will take it as it comes i guess and put my faith in the Lord. :) I will post if anything changes. Hoping the pain goes away as it hurts just to have clothing on the area :( really thinking mine and alot of everyone elses pain on here really is nerve related...pinched or swelling around the nerves...
hi im the one that has ms and for 3 years i look uo my feeling on the internet and it came up with ms went to doctor for 3 year couldnt work and just got so stress that it was ms. i had balance troubles its all on my right side. i was exerciseing and my right hip because i ride a standing bike hurt went down my leg shocking pain it was bad went to the doctor and he said get a mri down i had a bulging disc my leg got weaker it was  bad made me cry. i have tingling in my pinky and ring finger they said it was carpal tunnel then my foot was in pain said it was planter fisheatis bought 100 dollar shoes the reall thing was right side under my breast to the back was tingling and i coulndt sleep on that side and dont touch me no blister or rash doctor said it was shingles  but of couse its not its called the mshug i know sounds silly . so the last doctor i went to was a neruo and she did a mri of my brain and spine. aug this year she said i had ms. i'm not say any one has ms because of the skin sensation every one is having the only thing i can say if you get a mri done of the brain and spine you will know what you have . i know stress brings on the sytoms of ms. i just know i have ms so i have to deal with the pain i get . i do know the doctor would ask me questions like . are you numb  hows your eyes weakness bladder troubles leg cramps things like that do you sleep though the night are you stressed out . headaches just go get check and stop looking things up on the internet ok . i hope this helps and once again im not saying you have ms please just go get check out love april
Diet diet diet.  I have had shocks and cold skin and hot painful skin etc.  for years.  Newest one is a freezing feeling on top of my right side of my head ...envelops my ear (hurts terribly) and freezes my right side of my face.  Of course cold weather can bring it on.  tried carbamazapine.  but obviously is related to all of the other symptoms that I have had for years.  If I eat anything chocolate or bacon with preservatives....  the feeling is heightened.  I have had a  bliostered itchy rash on my dierrier that comes and goes for years,  My doctor says that shingles can not come and go.  but I  think that he is wrong and the virus is in my body.....and comes out when I am tired stressed or cheat on my diet.  I  get these blisters every  month on my bum...  but shocks and numbness are all in different parts of my body.  When this started about 12 years ago I thought that I had Ms and was dying. Well I am still here so I have stopped worrying.  I am obviously not getting acutley worse...so I am just living with it.  I did do a sesssion of ultrasound treatments on my neck last winter and the face thing dissapeared and was gone all summer.  It has started to come back very slowly a couple of weeks ago.  ...lot of pain in my ear and face today.  Guess I can not drink hot chocolate or eat gluten.  Need to go back to my raw vegies and get straitened around.  I guess this is aggravating but if I watch my diet and stress, then everything gets a bit better to the point I am not aware of my pain every minute of the day.  
I have this skin sensitivity in my neck. I cannot have anything rubbing on my neck and if I wear a turtleneck I get a choking feeling.

My dentist said it wasn't TMJ irritation but maybe a neuropathy. I just saw a neurologist and he stated that the brain wouldn't cause this irritation to the "whole" neck. Usually it would be one side.

I cannot figure out why one day out of the blue in 2001 I couldn't wear a turtleneck, have my hair rubbing on my neck or have anything touching my neck due to this irritation.  
Hi all
Just over a week ago I developed this skin problem
It is affecting my left side inner thigh and up to my stomach
I found the post by the guy who linked this to cold and exercise interesting
As the day before I got it I had been out mountain biking in sub 0 temperatures, I was out for a couple of hours and and ended my ride because I was too cold
The next morning the pain was really intense and I took the day off work as I could not bear my clothes touching the affected areas
That was 10 days ago, the pain didn't subside at all for the first week but today the area affected is much smaller and  the soreness not nearly as intense
Earlier this week I had a head ache and took ibuprofen and for the time the ibuprofen was affective I could hardly feel the soreness
Hopeful that it's  gonna disappear now, I,ll post again in a few days to let you know
I do find it amazing that no one seems to have any positive idea of what causes this    
i know this is an old thread, but could not believe it when i saw it!!! iv been sufferin with the exact same thing only just in the one place- one patch about the size of my fist on my right side of ribs. im now 28 weeks pregnant n hav been feeling it since i was 10 weeks...midwifes, doctors, family n friends cant offer any explanation other than "its just your skin stretchin with the baby getting bigger" ......but if so, why is it only in the one patch?? my belly is getting bigger now n the sensation is in the same spot since it started. iv just been living with it as creams/ massage dont help it......im just so relieved that im not the only person in the world experiencing this bizzar sensation, my symptoms are exactly as you describe!!
Well, ALL of my symptoms went away on their own.  I did nothing different.  They just all stopped.  Was it nerves before??  I have no idea; but I'm glad they're all gone.  Good Luck to all of you, too!!  Happy New Year!!
Same here.about 2 weeks after I made my post it was gone
And I hope never to return
Hope it disappears for you lot 2
I started with a feeling I'd irritated a muscle about 6-7 weeks ago, that stayed that way for 2 weeks, then excruciating pain down left arm and shoulder blade which suddenly disappeared after a week thank God. As the pain went, I noticed numbness in my forearm about 4" long from thumb side of wrist, and about half the width of my arm, also paralysis in the last joint of my index finger! So I suddenly can't use the finger to pick things up (no pain there, never was, and no numbness in that finger)
Anyway, now the numbness in my arm is less, but what's replaced it is this terrible burning feeling if ANYTHING touches it at all, even a sleeve. It feels better if I bandage it quite tightly, or if I roll up the sleeve, but not if anything touches it.
It hurts a little when still, but more if it's touched. It always feels so much better when I wake up in the morning and just lie there without moving....then when I have to get up, there we go again. It makes me cry sometimes. I'm so tired too.
I went to the doctor and to be honest, he was stumped. He said I could go for nerve conduction tests, but both him and I sense there's not going to be an answer, and I'll just be dragging my a** through all those hospital appointments with no answers given. Even the doctor seemed to think that because he said my symptoms didn't seem to fit into anything he knows about. He said it involves the radial nerve...but then said it's not just that, but a lot of different things all going on at the same time he couldn't understand. He said I must have severed the tendon on my finger! I told him I would have felt that! (and of course, I didn't feel any such thing!)
What the heck is the matter with my arm?
That is exactly how I feel.  I get a sore patch on my hand or leg or even buttocks for a few days and about a week later I am sick.  This time is has been going on for about three weeks straight though.  The pain is even stronger.  My mom also gets this before she gets sick.  I was thinking worst case before I read your post.  It still worries me that it has been going on for so long.  I am scared to see what is around the corner.
hello,. i am experiencing a sensitive skin problem too. it started  on my thigh and then moved to the upper part of my back, this started about 2 months ago, an now its came back only with my neck being really really sore..
i didnt go to the doctors the previous time because i read on a website thta someone had the same symptoms an the doctor turned them away and thought they were making up the symptoms.. and i had mt tonstills removed in november so i dont kow if it has anything to do with that!, so i dont know what to do, has anyone had these symptoms?? if yes please say with some advice.

I have had this "sun burned" skin off and on for years.  To all of you that have said it went away on it's own - it will, but it will be back.  It used to happen most on my upper legs, but it has also happened on my buttocks and right now it's on my left side.  It started in the front and now it's spread around my side to the back.  This episode is the worst.  I have worried about MS but have never talked to a doctor about it and have never done any research on the internet.  After reading this thread today, I'm pretty convinced that it is stress related.  I have had some major stress in my life lately and was already experiencing some symptoms that my body usually produces when I'm at my stress limit.  I'm just so surprised so many people have had the same thing and everyone I know that I mention it to looks at me like they have never heard of such a thing.  If anything else strange happens, I most likely will be seeing a doctor, but if not, I truly believe it's stress.
I'm fairly young, 30 year old male.  I've been having this problem for years.  I'll get areas of my skin that hurt/tingle some but when touched lightly they hurt more almost like a burn.  I typically ignore it because it usually goes away between a couple days and a week or two.  I've got it again now and I finally thought about searching for it on the net and like many others found this site.

From what I've read here, this can represent a variety of conditions but I'm starting to think this is shingles without the rash.  In the past I've never really thought about what's going on in my life when I got the pain but after reading this message board I will start keeping track.  

For instance, right now I'm under a ton of stress AND I'm recovering from a sinus infection.  Now I suddenly get a flareup of this pain?  It seems like maybe it is shingles since my immune system is no doubt weak.  

As for others here, I notice that a lot of pregnant women are posting here, I'm no doctor but I'm fairly sure that when a woman is pregnant, her immune system is weakened somewhat so her body does not reject the baby.  Couldn't that lead to a flareup as well?
Dr. Deshmukh (above) suggested a trauma to the area.  In fact, often the area of pain is on a location which I recently injured.  I'd bump something, like my arm, and some days later the area of pain that goes along with this syndrome, whatever it is, will develop.  Once I get one spot, one oval shaped area, I'll get several more.  They develop one after another, each one lasting for several days and then fading away.  The others are not dependant on a trauma, they just seem to develop in sequence the way this thing has always developed.  I'll get 4 or 5 of them and then it'll all fade away.

BetseyP
I did a previous post to the one above.  I'll report it here,.

I have had this condition for many years.  I am now 65.  I went to a neurologist when I was around 35.  He tested me for MS and decided it was NOT MS but couldn’t say what it was.  I haven’t bothered going to a Dr about it since but I do troll the web every so often.  This is the first string with so many people describing the same thing (which I don’t think is Fibro.)   What I get are very neatly formed, oval patches on the skin that are very tender to the touch and that every few minutes hurt intensely for a few seconds.  So they ate tender maybe a 3 on a 1 to 10, but then throb with pain that can go up to an 8 or 9.  For me these patches are above my knees and below my ears, but mostly on my trunk.  The patches are not visible except when really bad and then just a rosiness.  They are warm to the touch.  I get an outbreak several times a year.  The only thing I have ever associated with an outbreak is eating too much sugar.  I got on a candida kick for a while a they did calm down.  (At that time I got them more often.)  When I get them now I can usually look back and see a high sugar intake for a while.  (I’m not diabetic or pre-diabetic and I have a moderate weight.)   I do eat better now than I did when I was 35.  So as to viruses, I did have chickenpox and all the other childhood diseases, since everyone my age did.  Since then I’ve gotten TB, Hep A, Herpes, Meningitis, quite a batch of possible causes.  This has been an interesting string.  I hope someone is watching it still.
Has anyone here gotten a shingles vacine and did it make any difference?

BetseyP
i have been experiencing this "sensitive to the touch" sensation on my right hamstring and its only a small area, no bruises, i didnt injury area, i discovered this about 4 + months ago by accident and only sensitive when i touch it very slightly but nothing with pressure,  very weird. anyone else experience this and it doesn't move, its been there since ive noticed it, it doesn't hurt but im a little worried and rather be safe and get some answers now. im 31, no kids, 5 '3" 117 lbs, regularly exercise and good health.
I am going to the dr tomorrow regarding this same "skin sensitivity" all of you are reporting.  If I hear anything credible, I will report back.  
Hi, I'm Kathy. I have read many many posts on this site. I read one in 1996 here from a doctor that suggested that this is Allodynia. I tend to agree. I want to say it makes sense, but none of this pain will ever make sense to me. I want to know the cause!

I have Fibro, and have for about 40 years. This new pain is different. (Although they are linking it as a symptom of Fibro) To me, it feels like a bad case of the flu.(Fibro does too, but this pain seems to be limited to specific areas and more of a burning sensation). My skin feels toxic. I thought that I had some infection going on. This pain started in my spleen area with irregular continuous strong stabbing pains for about 2 days and left behind this incredibly tender skin. Like I had been beaten up and burned.

Over the next 3 days, the stabbing pains moved along my lower rib cage in front of my stomach area to my sternum area, leaving behind extremely tender (bruise-like) fat/muscles and skin. The stabbing then felt as though it went straight through me to my back and along the bottom of my rib cage to the starting point by my spleen - still leaving behind bruised fat/muscles and extremely tender skin. This whole process has taken about 9 days.

I'm not happy to see so many with the same experience, yet glad that I can glean from your experiences and not only save tons of money on useless procedures, but I have learned from what you all have shared. Thank-you!

Check this site out, then Google ALLODYNIA (Allodynia)
http://fibromyalgia-biz.blogspot.com/2009/04/what-is-allodynia.html

I'm praying for you all. Bless your hearts!
#1 - there is no such thing as "fibro" (fibromyalgia) - it's a baloney diagnosis physicians render when they encounter a hypochondriac.  What you really need is a life - then the aches and pains go away.

Second - 90% of the time "sore skin syndrome" is caused by either peripheral neuropathy ("pinched nerve") or some kind of remnant virus like shingles. It's something irritating the nerve endings at the skin.  It can be quite uncomfortable but does not require a $1000 MRI or anything else other than rest.  
1st - It's sooooo nice to come across someone who KNOWS - IT - ALL !!  How refreshing! Beyond medical education and all. I'll have to get hold of the millions of people out there that are in excruciating pain and let them know that they are all "Hypochondriacs".

Too bad you didn't come along sooner! There have been so many "hypochondriacs" that have killed themselves because the pain was too great for them to bear, (after years of suffering). When all along, all any of them had to do is go get a life! How simple.

AMAZING!!!

None of you are crazy! I have been experiencing similar symptoms now for over 5 years. When it comes, it comes with a fury. It usualy starts on my chest then quickly spreads to my entire body, head to toe. It gets so bad I can't have anything touching my skin. It is difficult to wear clothing, sometimes impossible.  For the first 24-48 hours, sleep is something I don't typically get. It is definitely debilitating. Sometimes it will last 3 days. The longest bought I have ever had lastest about a week.

Here is something interesting to note. Until 6 years ago, I never expierienced these attacks ever! What changed you ask? A couple of things. One major change was that  I had brain surgery for psuedo tumor (increased intracranial hypertension) where a VP shunt was installed. The other was the fallout from the bouched surgery,  terrible after care, my failing health, my carreer being at risk, foreclosure and the divorce that followed, in other words, massive stress.

I did find that mindfulness, stress managment and other skills have helped me since manage and get through a lot of the crap. To this date I have not had a bought in over a year. I also found a decent link that explain the physiological components of what it is we are expieriencing.

Keep the faith, always encourage and talk to yourself and know that all things are possible no matter how bad it may seem.

***Here is one additional victim of this weird sunburn like annoying feeling club*** My "symptoms" just started last week "during vacation" in Florida. I initially thought it was a sunburn as I was exposed to the sun for almost two weeks, (however I protected my skin with sunscreen 50 SPF) but this feeling is definitely not a sunburn. No redness, no skin falling apart, no rush, nothing but a horrible skin burning like sensation when my left shoulder and middle arm (opposite side to the elbow) comes in contact with clothing. Just as an FYI when it first started I also had minor headache on the left side right on top o my left ear.

I'm extremely surprised to see that after the many years this post started and the many people who have shared similar experiences  no one has yet posted a credible diagnosis. It’s kind of scary but I’ll be visiting the dr. next week however after reading this thread I’m now going kind of skeptic that this will be an easy one to diagnose… hopefully I’m wrong and can come back to update.

Best of luck to all of those that shared and to those who will be visiting this post in the future for the same reasons most of us did....

I am currently a patient of the Albert Road private psychological clinic regarding my mental state. I have suffered from anxiety for several years recently to the extent of not leaving the house except for school and so forth. My parents say I can become extremely aggressive at times. I swear at both my parents and my sister, only after my outbursts ( sometimes violent) do I feel remorseful. Just recently I Have experienced sensations under and in my skin, my hearing has become extremely over sensitive to the point where I cry when people eat around me. I have seen my dog several times although he was physically in the room. I have also heard male voices calling my name. Just days ago I was seeing stars ( the sort of stars you see in cartoons) floating above me and in the corner of the room. I really think there is something wring with me and I am positive that I am dying. My psychiatrist prescribed 50mg of seroquel, and 2*200mg tablets of tegretol. My eyes will not allow me to focus on one object without jittering around, please give me answers.

Kind Regards, Jack
Very interesting to find out others also with this symptom.   I have been having a super sensitive/pain feeling under my skin in various places, off and on for years.  I had my gallbladder removed in 2006 and have herpes virus for about 20 years -  I suspect that either of these are the cause. At the beginning of this year I went to a chinese herbalist/acupuncturist trying to get my liver to work better.  She gave me herbs for blood stasis also kidney & spleen.   Have not had an episode since -  until this week  :-(
I thought I was the only one going through this. I'm so glad I found this forum.
I'm a 24 year old healthy female and started getting this pain in the skin on my legs probably 4 years ago. It would start off in one leg, and then move over to the other. Nothing visible on my skin, it would just hurt to the touch. Recently I have been getting the same thing on my arms. It will just randomly start, and then randomly go away. It usually lasts for a couple of days, but has lasted as long as 3 weeks in my legs.
My doctor thinks I'm crazy and that I irritated my skin or something of that nature, even though there are no bumps, bruises, rashes, irritation or any kind.
Currently my left arm hurts. It started yesterday on my bicep, and now goes from my shoulder to my wrist. I wish I knew what this was!
-Kaitlin
I can see where that makes sense. i have the same issue everyone is talking about but the pain goes away or moves when i pass gas! sorry to be so breif but i analzed it last night when the pain was the most i have had yet...it comes and goes but this time its been hanging abournd longer and more places on my body.
my daughter is 9 years old and today she complained that her skin above and below the knee hurts so much, she can't even lie down in bed because it hurts her when the bed touches her skin.  i read most of the posts and i'm going to take her to the doctor if she doesn't wake up feeling better in the morning.  If anyone has any suggestiosn please post. thank you.  for now i put some cortizone cream on, gave her Advil and put some ice on.hope she can sleep throught the night.
Although still frustrated, I am so relieved to know that there are others with the same symptoms. I recently discussed this with my Dr. and she like most just looked at me like I was crazy. I told her about this site and what others have been tested for. She had no comment! After reading all the posts, I am leaning toward some sort of shingles of herpes. I Do believe that it gets worse when I am stressed and over tired. If anyone has had a shingles shot please post. I wonder if it would do any good? my symptoms are what I call hot spots that feel like a sunburn with no rash. They move all over my body. I do feel extra tired and for me a warm shower or the sun feels good. I'll pray for everyone.
I'm curious to see how many of you are currently around sick people? My children have come down with the flu and I've got same sensations everyone is talking about. It's a tender feeling on my rib cage area and under my armpit. It's called Allodynia. Sometimes it's brought on by stress but others times it's brought on when you're getting sick. I've had it a few times in my life. It really stinks when you get it because you feel very tender, like you've been burned. But it does go away. There's nothing wrong with you so don't waste money on the doctors. It's just that you're getting sick or have too much stress.
I'm 36, just got the sensitive to the touch feeling in my back about 4 days ago and it's still running strong. No rash or marks or anything, but it's a ***** just sitting on the couch. I find myself sitting forward in my seat while driving too. It is in the middle of my back and seems to reach right arought my sides but not quite making it to the front, but at this point, nothing would surprise me. I would love to hear of someone finally being diagnosed with something, so I have a direction to take this when I consult my own Dr, if I do at all. I thought I was going nuts, but thanks to you all, I guess I'm not.... would love to get rid of this feeling though!!... driving my crazy when my shirt rubs against it!!
Like all of you, I have these "sunburn like symptoms."  What surprises me is how long some have been suffering through this. Me ... only noticed this in the past week. Skin is sensitive to clothes rubbing, but doesn't hurt to press. First, I appreciate all the comments and feel as if I've saved myself a lot of research and Dr visits. So thanks for all the info. I'm 76yo male, in good shape except for type 2D.  But I watch my diet and don't really have a problem with it. I take glucose and BP readings daily, and don't see any difference in my usual levels since this sunburn syndrome started. Across the chest, under my left arm and to my left shoulder blade is where I feel it. It's remained in the same spot so far.
     I've had Bells Palsy, the dentist shot my jawbone nerve and I took diminishing steroids for ten days to get back to normal. What I have isn't Bells Palsy. I have a hard
time believing it's Shingles, too,(could be related in some way) but I've seen this problem
with several people. too.  But I'm convinced of the problem being STRESS. Just a day or two before my symptoms started, I lost my temper with an individual. My fault. Should have been more careful. So now I feel stress for having done that, and feel stress for wishing it'd never happened.
     My soreness isn't too bad and if I get involved in something else, I can forget it for a while, but I do appreciate the advice from one of the above group about B-12. I'm on the way to the store right now to give it a try. It sounds like it will work. (Chicken Soup did not really work for me)
     So lots of luck to all of you.
I have had "sore skin" for more than 30 years.  I can only describe it as trying to put clothes on after you have had the worst sunburn of your life. Recently there has been an added symptom that feels like  electric shocks, and it only happens where the skin is sore, which can be in any random spot on my body.  I cannot stand a sheet on my skin when it flares.  What I have come to realize is that it happens mostly right before I get sick.  Before I have hemmorhoids, the skin on the back of my leg all the way down to the sole of my foot is extremley sensitive and painful.  It feels like the nerve endings lay just below my skin.  
If I am getting a fever I know before I get it, because a few days before, the skin on my arms will be sore, and I am not talking about that deep muscle pain, I am talking about if you run a q-tip over my skin lightly, it HURTS.  
For years my husband has rolled his eyes about my sore skin, and no one understands what the heck I am talking about.  Been tested for autoimmune disease, NOTHING.  I have just learned to live with it as best I can. I wear underwear inside out, because seams are a nightmare. I have not had shingles, but many  doctors over the years have said "watch out for a rash, your skin pain is indicative of shingles"...but a rash never develops.  I can only think that because I had chicken pox and then rubella right after that, maybe there was nerve damage.
It is extremly frustrating not to have an answer, and I feel for everyone else that just wants to know what this is. i too think that Fibro is too freely diagnosed when doctors can find no other diagnosis.  I just want to know why my skin hurts and if there is anything I can do to stop it...so until then I keep looking and researching....the only thing I have seen are articles on Allodynia...which is not a medical diagnosis, but certainly describes it correctly....touch that shouldn't hurt....but does!  
I am a 50 yr old female and I just started having this feeling about 3-4 days ago. I am hoping it is stress related and not something else..My problem area is on my left side half way around the front and back and until just a day or so ago it was on the under side of the top part of my left arm, but it has since subsided. It hurts to wear clothes. Why I think it may be something with my nerves is I am a seamstress that works out of my home and I have taken on a project that has had me standing and leaning over a lot, it has just made me anxious because of the deadline. I am NOT a stressful person, but I have been having a few issues that have gotten me worked up lately. All I can say is this is really irritating and wish it would go away...I'm not much for running to the doc unless I have to...I do have insurance but just don't want them to give me an unnecessary medicine.  
Hi all, I'm a late comer to the thread I know, but I have had this problem all my life for as long as I can remember, on and off. I'll get the weird skin sensitivity most commonly on my left buttock, and it will then travel down my leg, usually to my calf or foot before disappearing, over the course of about 5 days. Sometimes it travels to my genitals or into my bottom, where it gets extremely painful believe me! I sometimes get it on my chest, which travels to my arm. Or on my neck, which then travels to my face and scalp after a few days. It feels like sunburn and a weird crawling skin sensation at the same time. It's hard to explain, but I know many of you understand what I mean. My doctor could offer no diagnosis. So over the years I've observed and tried to do a number of different things to see if anything would help. I wish to share my observations of things that seem to trigger it for me, and my own remedies that seem to work for me.

If I am overly tired, stressed and not getting enough sleep, I can get an outbreak. Or if I strain a joint (like back or neck) at the gym or some other way, the condition will tend start within a few hours. But not always when I strain like this! In the case of a joint or muscle strain, it tends to happen more frequently when I have recently recovered from a common cold, or when I have hayfever symptoms. Thus, it happens to me more frequently in winter and spring. I also have oral herpes (lips and nasal areas), and sometimes I'll get the skin sensitivity shortly after I have recovered from the herpes, but ONLY if I strain myself physically as noted above. I know all this might sound weird, but these things are what I have noticed as a pattern.

For some strange reason multi-vitamins with B complex shortens it. I also take lysine and super greens, like wheatgrass and spirulina, which also seem to shorten it. For example, if I start to feel sore skin on my buttock, I start taking vit B and wheatgrass straight away, and then the sore skin will go straight to my calf within a few hours or the next day and disappear faster than usual. I know it sounds really strange, but it seems to work for me.

I am a male, aged 37, prone to anxiety at times, but can fall asleep easily - I don't toss and turn at all. I have taken steps to reduce my anxiety through simple techniques. I also caught oral herpes and a young child. Aside from that my health is perfectly good, as I workout and eat well.

I hope this might help others. In a way I am glad to read that I am not alone in this thing. Notice your patterns if you can, and try a few herbal or vitamin remedies, especially superfoods and see how you go. Take care :)
Although I’m sorry y’all are suffering this discomfort too, I have to admit it’s a bit of a relief to know I’m not imagining this rather annoying sunburny sensation!  I’ve always had sensitive skin to begin with (lol, in my family, it’s not IF but WHEN are we gonna get skin cancer) and my cousin warned me that with time, even fluorescent lights would hurt (which I guess they do).  Also get migraines, which I did not see mentioned, and which produce numbness as well.

This sensation, which is mostly concentrated in my arms, is fairly constant.  My skin blanches to the touch (as if it were damaged/sunburned) even when I’m not particularly tanned or whatever.  It affects how I feel about people getting close to me, obviously I hate polyester or anything even remotely scratchy, and I’m always the only dork on the beach wearing a long-sleeve shirt, floppy hat, spf 60+, and hiding in the cabana!  

I noticed the post about this possibly being related to consequences of having had chicken pox as a child (I had chicken pox on three separate occasions, fun, huh) so I will research this a bit further.  In any case, very interesting, very comforting to feel like an actual demographic, and my deepest sympathies to those of you who suffer from this as well.  

Let’s hope we find some good ideas for relief, even if only palliative in nature—CHEERS!!
thoughtful stuff - sounds like the way to go
hi rockifields - went recently to a classical homeopath who spent an hour with me & charged $40 - she gave me some pills for blocked ears etc to take each monday for  4 weeks. I took these 8am monday - that night I had barking bronchitis, tuesday an itchy tum that turned to chickenpox like spots, wednesday tum spots faded but I itched then found eruptions all over my back. Today back is faded to thankfully a memory [partner took photos ~].
I suspect the hom remedy [said to be potent at 200] drove out a virus as the homeopath treats for whatever imbalance she discerns from my history. Sensitive skin also appears symptomatic of organic dysfunction so find someone with discipline you trust to help you work on the SOURCE, as in essence YOU are your own solution. )
I am 66 years old and have many problems such as fibromylgia (fibromyalgia) along with all the side effects but about a week ago the back of my legs became very sensitive to the touch.  It hurts to sit on anything or have anything touch me skin which being where it is is a real problem. Over the years I have had some of the same things happen say sections of my arm for short periods of time like a day but this has been for almost a week and I don't know what to do as I am already on meds for pain.  It seems more concentrated on the right side of my body more than the left.  The other night I could not lay on my right side or have the covers on me so I am not sleeping a good nights sleep. I really have not found any solutions or answers in these posts only more people suffering the same as me.  Has anyone found a solution????
30 year old female healthy here.  I've had the same raw, sunburnt feeling on my skin on and off all my life, every time I got a bad cold or flu, but it always disappeared when the virus went away.  However, I got a 24-hour virus a few months after my son was born, and the sensation hasn't gone away since.   It's also accompanied by a mildly sore throat.  It's been over 2 months and I'm getting desperate. My doctor didn't have any suggestions.  I had shingles when I was in high school, but I don't have any visible rashes, so I know it's not that.  I'm just so tired of this.  
Another to add to the list. Though mine is recent and not as severe as others, it is still irritating and gets me down. 4 weeks ago down my left lumbar, buttock area - went after 10 days or so. Now ribcage on right side.

Look at a map of DERMATOMES - these are a guide to the innervation of the skin and relate to the segments of the spinal cord. I can map where I am feeling sore so it is NERVOUS SYSTEM involvement. There could be many reasons from muscle tension/nerve entrapment/nutritional deficeincy to compression due to tumour etc and more scary stuff.

Many people have mentioned recent STRESS, which can have a profound effect on the body as can recent viral infection. Therefore EAT a good diet or supplement with B VITAMINS. DESTRESS with exercise, meditation/yoga, enjoyable hobby. See a chiro/oesteopath if nerve entrapment or chronic muscle tension an issue.
Many excellent herbs around for the NS (eg: Lime flowers, Lemon balm, St Johns Wort - but take care if on medication) best to consult a qualified herbalist if you want to try this route. Good luck to all.
This was the first web page I looked at for my symptoms and been fascinating to go through it.  I'm 66, retired nurse with back problems and intermittent migraine.  Had childhood chicken pox.  Not aware of having any other herpetic condition  Had first bout ever of bronchitis last April and needed antibiotics.  Around the same time started seeing a cranial osteopath for migraine (seems to be helping a bit, in that they are less severe and recently stopped vomiting with them).  A few weeks ago I had a cold ( ie 2 viral infections during spring/summer), and generally don't get more than one cold every year or so. I grow a lot of my own fruit and veg, don't eat meat, and try to have mostly organic food.

Fortunately my 'burning' symptoms have been minimal compared with , many others of you, and I did think a few weeks ago I might have shingles as I had a burning sensation on my hairline, which went away in a few days.  Prior to that had a patch on one finger and thought I must have scalded it, but nothing to see - as everyone else.  Now I have a patch on the side of one knee.

As this appears so common - and for many much much worse, than I've experienced, I shall stop thinking about MS and say 'thank you' for all the postings!
i have the exact symptoms and i am the same age. i have been diagnosed with ms and diabetes.
I have the same severe skin sensitivity.  I believe it's called Allodynia, which is a type of fibromyalgia pain.  There are medications and cremes for it that somewhat alleviate the symptoms, but what works for me is ICE.  I've had this pain in my right leg, upper thigh.  It started out as a softball-sized area and spread to the entire front of my right leg.  I've been to the doc...no cyst, no shingles, no rash.  I am currently being tested for MS and other disorders, mainly because that's what they always do when they can't figure out what's wrong.  After the doctor gave me pain patches and oxycodone, I came home, got a drink from the fridge, accidentally touched the affected area with the cold drink and it instantly felt better.  I've always been cold-natured and never liked using ice, but I put on a sweater and stap on my ice pack before going to bed and during the day when I can.  It's helped me tremendously and hopefully it will help some of you as well.  :)
I am a 31 year old mother of one. A week ago I started feeling a raw kind of sunburnt feeling on the back of my neck. My clothes hurt and wearing a seatbelt hurts. I went to the doctors a couple of days ago and they gave me a mild steroid which is making no difference whatsoever. It has spread to my shoulders now. I have no idea what it is! When do you think I should go back to the doctor?
same but in my right shoulder
I have this sensitivity currently under my right forearm. I have had before on chest/stomach area and also one time on left cheek and forehead. I have had repeat issues with shingles and have attributed the symptoms to that. Have not been able to confirm each time since I did not always have a rash/break out more commonly associated with shingles.
research herpes zoster/shingles; doesn't have to have a visible rash
i am in my teen years and am experiencing the same thing on my arms. i have suffered two concussions brought on from soccer could this be related.or could i be allergic to AstroTurf. there is no visible sign of rash or bumps
im a teenager experiencing the same symptoms as her and recently recovered from two concussions from soccer could this be the cause or is it possible that im  allergic to AstroTurf
didnt mean to post that twice
I'm 62 years old and have noticed these symptoms off and on throughout my lifetime--most often it has presented on the right or left middle section of my back.  However, about 4 days ago I developed some flu-like symptoms and have spent the last few days mostly in the bed--yesterday, both side of my ribcage (front) began to demonstrate symptoms.  I took a hot bath and used "Kool and Fit" immediately after drying off.  This seemed to help, but by late evening the same symptoms presented on the backside of my ribcage (both sides).  I really feel that it is possibility that being in the bed so long may have triggered this--possibly a bad position and a low immune system.  
Suppose I should have read all of the postings before replying to one!

1. I also had chickenpox as a child.
2. Have also developed a "fever blister" during times of stress.
3. Felt a fever blister forming Sunday night, just before waking up with a cold in my chest on Monday morning.
4. Have also been extremely stressed lately.

So these contribute to my belief that it is connected to herpes simplex or the coxacci (?) virus. ( Lysine has always either stopped the fever blister or shortened the length of time I had it. )

I do believe that "fibromyalgia" is a genuine condition, but I think that everyone has some type of "condition."  It's best to do the best you can from day to day to learn to manage your pain as best you can.  See the doctor whenever you feel there's a need.  When you're told all the tests are normal, thank God that you've not been diagnosed with cancer.  Make yourself find something to do that gets your mind off yourself.
I left a post on 9/8/11. Since then my "sunburn" has gone. Vanished. Credit for this goes to all of you with your descriptions, symptoms, and search for cure. Because after reading all post, I figured this problem had to be stress related. I remember my own scenario that day when I got so mad I felt a hot flash run down my brain stem. It felt like a electrical charge zapping the base of my skull. The following day I began to fell this burning across my chest and back. A normal sunburn comes about when skin is damaged and nerve endings suffer. Of course, this will get back to normal when the nerves have a chance to regenerate. So I ask myself why can't my nerve endings get back to normal this time, too. One of the post recommended B-12 and it seemed logical. In addition, I'm on guard now against stress. Every day I set aside time to relax and think about pleasant things. I try to hang out with people who make me laugh. And feel good. Some of those posting above complain about long term problems with this sunburning.  I would suggest those folks examine their daily routine to make sure, absolutely sure, that full blown stress isn't creeping into your life.
     So I'll be taking B-12 and relaxing more than ever. And I realize that we are all different, reacting differently, genes are different, so what effects one might not be noticed by another. So be attentive to what's going on. And I hope you all can figure something out. Good luck.

I am 46 years old and have exactly the same for 3 years. In my case I know the cause. Stress does play a part but it is caused by muscles in my back. I caused it to myself. I used to run and developed a minor issue with a trapped nerve. This was fixed quite easily but then someone said I should try core stability when I went running. I used to be a keen distance runner. Part of this was to brace my abs up to support my back. Cut a long story short after 3 weeks of doing this my upper legs were on fire after a run and the tingling / burning feeling has never gone away. I may go for a day or so but when I get stressed the muscles tighten and the tingling / burning come back. When I am totally relaxed it goes but does not take much to come back. I’ve seen the specialists who say they sometimes see this in rear end crashes when whiplash victims back muscles get stressed but I am the first one they have met who did it to himself. Some exercise do help but if I am stressed it’s like flicking a switch. My little girl once jumped out at me to “surprise daddy” and I could actually feel the muscles switch on and the burning come back. Hope this helps someone.
Hello, a few weeks ago a started to feel sensitivity to my left pinky. Hurt to the touch. It started spreading to my upper arm on the left side. I am experiencing sharp pains in my arms almost like growing pains but very hurtful. My clothing hurt my skin. There is no sunburn, no bruising, or any thin visual. It spread to my shoulder and back on the left side where it s very persistant and than a nerve in the middle of my left back side behind the shoulder blade. If I nod my head down pain shoots down my spine. Also I feel tight, not loose, stretching hurts too. My left arm also has weakness. Caring groceries shot pain from the top of my shoulder through the left side of my neck, stopping at my ear.I always have fatigue for the past 12 years so that isn't anything new but its suppose to be thyroid, I don't believe this to be hormonal. I'm curious if this could be a sympton of some kind of cancer, but not one person on here has mentioned it. I want this to go away, I work and have no insurance coverage and I have a family. I'm 30 years old and usually healthy if not tired all the time. I want this sunburn sensation to go away, for every one too.
i have been having this sunburned feeling on the left side hip area it goes from the left pelvic, to left hip, and around the left back side..... it is all as one not in separate spots of my body but it hurts when its being rubbed against, it hurts when i put my finger lightly over it and i dont have to be touching it and i feel the pain... it feels warmer on that side, and it looks more swollen then the right side does? i am 23 with 2 healthy baby gurls marriage bound in bout 8 months and ... really not all that stressed at the moment, but this has happened to me before in the same spot and i donno if i should take it to get checked right away or? but it hurts and i just want it gone i can bearly sit on my left side cuz of it.......
and its not summer here either we r now january 6th 2012 so i know its not from the sun lol
Good evening ladies..I am also 31 but I have no children.
I am experiencing it right this minute and thought I would google to see if this happens to anyone else..and so it seems it does!
My skin is ultra sensitive, what follows is that my bones in my lower back start to actually hurt as well. I get severely cold, then i start to burn up..which is what stage my body is up to at the moment. This is a good thing. eventually I will start sweating which means my body has fought it off.. I'm already starting to feel better.

I have had this before a number of times. Although the longest period I have had it has been up to 1 week and it became severely dangerous. My blood pressure plummeted to 80/50.

I naturally have low blood pressure which sits at 92-98/60-65, so it doesn't take much for my blood pressure to plummet. When this happens, that is when I start to feel all the symptoms.

A common case is when you over eat continuously and do not do any light excersises. The worst situation is overeating at night..every night (even worse if it is always a meat dish).  or if you do excessive excersise or it could be as simple as a lack of sleep and especially if you are run off your feet either with work or family, it can really affect you.

My cure is have a hot shower, have a shot of port and a piece of bread (mothers remedy) which is what I have just had, and within minutes you will feel better. I am no starting to sweat it out. But the key thing is to rest. Just put your feet up and don't move for a couple of hours.

I hope this helps for at least one person!

Georgie31
any reposnse to the shingles vacine? My doc wants me to get it as I had it over this summer... this stupid sensitive skin crap is ridic!! I also have Fibro, so between the two my body is hating me right now....
Hello Jamie,
I believe you need to see a neurologist. Your symptoms can be associate with several things, among them MS.
Regards
I was reading the mesage board on skin pain and saw your post. I would not worry about the bad remarks some people just are not strong enough to handel anything bad so it is a self defense mechanizim to shoot down those who threten them.
I am a 42 year old woman. I have not ever had the chickenpoxs so i know its not shingels. Has anyone been diagnosed with fibermialgia?
Hey, will u.guide me coz I feel pain all over skin of my tummy n really want to get rid of it bt I think its reason might b my chronic constipation
What is Ms n how yoga can help it?
Any cd for yoga ? Which postures etc
I'm 24 years old and 12 weeks pregnant
Don't know which Dr to go coz they never understand what I'm going through

I wish if u could help me
I've had this for the past 5 years.  My theory is it is some mutation of herpes type 2 that I've had all my life.  I say this because when this sunburn, half of my head and body feeling first started happening, it coincided with the time my cold sores went away.  These spells have the same type of onset cold sores would have, the onset, the peak, and the recovery.  It is as if the herpes virus changed how it presents itself, changing from the cold sores I've had all my life, to this new, internal manifestation.  I could be totally wrong, but I'm all out of ideas.  I'm thinking of going to a natropath because I've given up on other doctors.
My girl friend who I have not been with for very long had a cold sore, I've never had one before & have inevitably contracted the herpes simplex virus. As it is the initial infection I had painful ulcers on my throat, tongue & gums which lasted a week & I now have the strange sensation on my skin in various places on my upper body similar to that described here by others. I assume it is just a side effect of the virus making itself at home in my central nervous system where it will apparently reside for the rest of my life :)
My husband has been having skin sensitivity on his stomach area and the inside of his leg near his groin for about a week now.  Also had a strange rash-looked like spider bite with some blistering.  Read you site and believe that it is shingles.  Here's the site that was referenced: http://www.medicinenet.com/shingles/article.htm
Also check out this site for natural relief with apple cider vinegar: http://www.****.com/CURES/shingles.html#ACV_69333
Thanks everybody for your input!!  It's a relief to have an answer!
Viewing 1-200 comments: