Neurology Community
Skull Repair

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Skull Repair

My son had a benign tumor (Eosinophilic Granuloma) removed from the back left top part of his skull. The bone taken was 5cm round. The Nero Surgeon is telling us the best fix for this hole would be to a piece of the right side of the skull and split the bone and replace the split peice of bone on each hole. Is this a standard method of fixing this? He told us the bone will grow back and become just as thck or even in some cases thicker then the original skull bone. Please let me know. Thanks
..??how old is ur son?...there r other materials used for replacement of skull bone..titanium patches r used on chiari decompression surgeries....it all depends on the dr.
check out ASAP dot org or the chiari institute web page to learn more....u may be able to suggest it to ur dr or ur dr may refer u to someone who can use something else if that is what is at issue.

Good luck
Godspeed
"selma"
Thanks for the reply. My son is twelve and is a very good athlete. He is big into Wrestling, Football and baseball. The surgeon told us that for my son to continue with these athletics this surgery would be the best option since he is still growing. He has a titanium plate or mesh in there right now. I am still not a 100% sure on this and just wanted to know if anyone out there has ever had any experience with this type of surgery. The surgery is in two weeks. Thanks again
My best to ur son on his surgery....please post me after so I know how he is doing.....
also there is a new person on the chisri forum ChiariPeopleofOhio.....ask her about this surgery since she has children that had decompression for chiari and might know a bit more!!

Good luck
Godspeed
"selma"
I had a bome tumor in my skull and half of my skull had to be removed, and was replaced with a titanium plate, it has made such a difference, no longer get head chaes, dont have to restrict myself from what i am and are not alowed to do. i am also a very keen athelete, i compete in surfing and surf life saving and was back competing within 4 weeks
Thanks for your reply to my post. My son came out of the surgery very well. We now wait to make sure he has no bone infections. The main recovery time on this they are telling me is 3 months for any sports and 6 months on contact sports. The surgeon is very confident he will be able to play football and wrestling with no problems after the bones fuse. All he will have to remember this is the scars on his head. I am just thankful he is going to be able to live out his life without complications. Again thanks for your reply and I am glad you are doing so well.