Neurology Community
Sleep Paralysis or seizure?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Sleep Paralysis or seizure?

Today i was waking up but i tried to go back to sleep, then i remember thinking something like " i have to get up" and all of a sudden i felt kind of a funny feeling in my chest and it spread through my neck and i started kinda shaking without control but it only laste for about 10 seconds and i was concious the whole time thinking "am i dying?" my brother was using the computer next to me and he didnt notice a thing. Was this just a bad dream or sleep paralysis?
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I've never had a seizier to my knowledge... but I've had sleep paralysis a number of times. sleep paralysis is quite different than what you explained. In my experiences I'm wide awake but I can't move a muscle. It's quite a terrifying exerience. It's also very hard to breathe. It seems like it lasts forever but in reality it's only about 5-10 seconds after I wake up. I'm sure experts far smarter than I will tell you that few experience it, but it's quite normal for your body to do it. Your brain shuts your muscles down to protect your body during sleep. Most of the time your brain wakes your muscles before it wakes you. When the reverse happens... sleep paralysis.

Sorry I can't help with the shaking... It's possible it's a form of sleep aralysis... just none I've had.
Blank
i've had both sleep paralysis and seizures, and that does not sound like sleep paralysis. it may have been a seizure - perhaps a simple partial seizure or a complex partial seizure.

more likely, it could have been a bad dream.

you should see a neurologist just to be sure.
Blank
This has only happened when im trying to sleep or sometimes when i wake up and i try to go back to sleep....what could it be?
Blank
Anyone?
Blank
when i have sleep paralysis, which usually happens before waking up, i usually shake in an effort to wake up. maybe this is what you tried to do as well.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank