Sleep apnea after LVA occlusion ?

Should a neurologist be mindful of Central, Obstructive, or Mixed sleep apnea following a stroke which was caused by the occlusion of the Left Vertebral Artery ? Should the hospital be monitoring O2 saturation in the blood (via pulse oximetry) for atleast 3-5 days after this type of stroke ?

Thanks Shawn
Hello.

After a stroke, the patient is usually managed in the inpatient care for at least 7 days, usually. Generally patients need to stay longer.

If the sleep apnea, especially central sleep apnea arises out of the stroke, the treating doctors should refer the patient to the appropriate specialist. There have been reports of central sleep apnea resulting from stroke.

Regards

Thank you.....I have found a few case reports that indicate that people with this type of stroke (Wallenbergs syndrome) can suffer from central sleep apnea and I was wondering if this is common knowledge amoung doctors that treat stroke victims.  Is 24 hr pulse oximetry monitoring typically required following this type of stroke for 7 days ?  Am I right to assume that inpatient care does not perform 24 hr pulse oximetry monitoring.
Thanks again, Shawn  
Hello.

Most in-patient care facilities should have a pulse oximeter. It is a small instrument to carry and very easy to use. It is a regular feature in the intensive care units, but not so regularly used in the normal indoor wards. But, with a stroke, it has to be used.

Regards