Neurology Expert Forum
Slight pain in head and hand twitching?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Slight pain in head and hand twitching?

So for the past few months I've had this..

Occasionally,it can be like more than 5 times a day or as little as twice a week,I get this quick pain in either the right or left side of my head,usually the right. It only lasts for around one second.

Then lately,although it hardly ever happens only around once every 2 weeks or more I've gone months without it happening,my right hand just like twitches out of no where.

I'm really concerned about what this might be and if these are just two separate things or if they together might pair up as symptoms to some serious brain tumor or cancer or something.

Other than that my health is good I haven't thrown up in 5 years and the only type of sickness I've had other than the occasionally flu is the common cold.

I've never broken bones and I've never gotten a concussion so that wouldn't be the cause. I have gotten hit in the head sometimes but never to the point of unconsciousness or a concussion.

Does anyone know if I'm dying or if I should be like immedietly going to the hospital or something,or if I really don't have to worry about it and it's normal?

I'm perfectly fine in everything else and feel fine and well and normal and everything.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

There are several causes of headaches. Headaches can be divided into primary and secondary. Primary headache disorders are headaches without a direct cause. These are diagnosed after secondary causes have been excluded. Secondary headache disorders are due to an underlying problem, there are many many causes but some include medication side effects, systemic illness, nervous system infection, tumors, bleeds in the brain or clots in the veins of the brain, and others.

Primary headache disorders are much more common than secondary ones. There are several primary headache disorders, over 50 different types.  For example, migraines are usually a pulsating throbbing one-sided pain with nausea and discomfort in bright lights that lasts several hours. Another type are cluster headaches, which are sharp pains that occur around and behind the eye often at night and are associated with tearing of the eye and running of the nose. In primary stabbing headache, sharp or jabbing pain in the head occur, either as a single stab or a series of brief repeated volleys of pain. Primary stabbing headache often occurs in people with migraine. The pain itself generally lasts a fraction of a second but can last for up to one minute in some people. Another type of stabbing headache is called paroxysmal hemicrania. This is marked by episodes of stabbing or sharp pains that occur on one side of the head and may be associated with eye tearing or runny nose. Episodes may occur several times and last 30 seconds to a minute. Yet another type of stabbing headache is abbreviated SUNCT; 100s of stabbing pains lasting seconds occur and are associated with red eye and tearing.

Twitches in the majority of cases are benign meaning they have no consequence and do not cause serious damage or are resulting from serious damage. The twitches can occur focally (one location) or generalized (many locations). Twitches can be related to anxiety/stress, caffeine, and often occur post exercise or muscular over-use. Another type of twitching, which is normal, is called a hypnic jerk. It occurs as we are falling asleep. Again it is exacerbated by stress or caffeine. For all of these symptoms, the best treatment is to reduce the caffeine intake and/or reduce the stress. If the twitches are bothersome or disabling, medical treatment may be necessary. This will need to be at the discretion of your physician.

I would recommend that you follow up with your regular family physician to evaluate you further.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.