Neurology Expert Forum
Small Syrinx and Symptoms

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Small Syrinx and Symptoms
I have a 2mm syrinx in my thoracic from t3-t10 with no evidence of Chiari Malformation. I have severe burning chest and back pain, twitching and tingling in my legs and torso. I have numbness in my back along the area where the syrinx is located and my reflexes are hyperflexic. I have seen many Dr.'s and only one neurosurgeon agrees that the syrinx is most likely responsible for thes symptoms. Through a support group I have found many others with a small syrinx, and similar symptoms and most have been told it is impossible for a small diameter syrinx to cause symptoms. In your opinion is it possible for a syrinx this size to cause symptoms?  Thankyou
Most studies in the literature that try to correlate size of the syrinx with clinical symptoms do not use the absolute size of the syrinx alone. Rather, they take the syrinx size and compare it with the size of the spinal cord and come up with the ratio. 2mm is quite small and keep in mind that it's extremely difficult to make a clinical comment regarding an MRI I have never seen, but I would say that it's not impossible for it to be causing some of your symptoms. I would of course personally have to examine you and review your films and history to make a more accurate comment. If the symptoms worsen, consider getting a followup MRI for comparison. Good luck.
A related discussion, Syrinx question was started.
A related discussion, Syrinx in my thoracic @T7,8 and T9,10 was started.