Neurology Community
Smoking marijuana after head trauma, safe?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Okay, so I was recently in a pretty bad car accident almost a month ago. I was the only person hit but suffered a broken nose and a depressed skull fracture near my temporal lobe. I was in the hospital surgery room within an hour and was out of surgery in another three hours. It wasn't clear what the damage to my brain would be until I would have awoke from the anesthesia. To everyone's surprise I awoke a few hours later, fully aware and knew what had happened, although I didn't realize until a few minutes after that they had shaved my head and done major surgery.
So far, and to everyone's amazement I'm pretty much normal, the same as I was before the accident. I did have slight bleeding in the brain and had a monitor stuck in there, that was then removed the next day. The surgeon fixed my skull fracture and used two screws and everything. I knew where I was, who people were, and could even do some math. I left the hospital five days after the accident. A nurse told me not to drink or smoke for the next three months. My hair is actually growing in pretty well :)
I used to smoke cigarettes, marijuana and drink all before the accident. I haven't tried anything since. My aunt who is a nurse informed me if I were to have a cigarette I could possibly have a seizure. Now I've recently read about people with epilepsy being prescribed to marijuana, and how the cannibanoid receptors help decrease the chances of have a seizure. So my question is, would it be safe to smoke marijuana after the head trauma four weeks ago? Not necessarily in a large amount of course.
Please don't answer with "smoking weed is bad for you" or "you shouldn't be smoking weed anyways". I'm looking for advice :)

How are you?
Marijuana analogs have been found useful in patients with brain injury. Traumatic brain injury results in accumulation of harmful mediators in the brain. Endogenous cannabinoids have been found to be helpful as neuroprotective agents. These experiments have been reported from animal studies.
I would suggest you to inform your treating doctor also about this.