Neurology Community
Solving Viusal Snow

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Solving Viusal Snow

What can cause visual snow? I've had it for a year and only recently have i begun to have a headache which i am experiencing RIGHT-NOW along with the visual aura which has also gotten worse AT THE SAME TIME AS THE HEADACHE before i thought this visual snow was to do with the blood or metabolism but now I've read it has to do with the mind and migraines, but i have no migraine just a headache, which doesn't go away. Please can someone tell me what I should do, and what could've caused it? It got worse when i began sleeping at 1 Oclock in the morning for about 3-4 days ina row. I also go on the computer quite alot and have a games console which I use frequently. The doctor said I was seriously sleep deprived, I'm 14 years old and It's really annoying having it.
Hi Oliver.  You mentioned "visual aura," which the term "aura" is often connected with migraine headaches.  There is treatment for people who suffer from migraines.  But in case that's not it, your doctor made mention of you not getting enough sleep, and I can tell you when I MYSELF don't get enough sleep, I don't get "snow," but I get little spots or "floaters" that drift around in my vision.  If that's what you get, lack of sleep is exactly what makes those happen.  It is important to learn how to wrench yourself away from the fun of computer games at some point, so you can wind down and get the sleep you need.  Learning how to control impulses is part of becoming an adult, else the whole world would be hunched over their computers and no one would be working in the grocery store so we could buy food, no one would be making the cars we drive, and so on.

But the headache, that might be from a couple other things.  Eye strain can cause a headache, which can come from poor vision or tired eyes.  Those will make a person bunch up their face muscles and squint to see, and most of the time regular headaches come from muscle strain.  The solution is, to see about getting glasses if your vision is not good, or if your vision is normal, then you have to rest your eyes periodically from the computer screen, if you've been staring at it for hours on end, which five minutes looking out a window will help.  Also, check your posture when you're using the computer, you must be sitting in a restful position and not leaning forward, or you might get headaches from your shoulders being too tight.

But if the "snow" is practically blinding and if you headache is excruciating, and if you have responded in a positive way to the doctor's suggestion that you are sleep deprived, by getting more rest and spending less time staring at a computer, then you'll need to go back to him, to make sure nothing else is going on with yourself that needs looking into.  I mean, there is the remote possibility you have a tumor in your head, affecting your vision and giving you headaches, but until you normalize your computer habits and sleep better, no need to get worked up about that sort of thing, particularly at your age.  It really can be as simple as lowering how many hours you sit in front of a computer and also getting 7 or 8 hours of sleep per night.  Just give it a shot for about a week, then you'll know for sure.
I think your right, I just really don't want to think that there is no real cure for Visual Snow y'know.
Hun, have you been to the doctor???  
Not for a year......
And I hope the cause of all this is just sleep deprivision. But just incase, i'm going to a neuro-opthamologist. Who 'hopefully' will leave me full of answers.