Neurology Expert Forum
Son with Lyme Disease

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Son with Lyme Disease

My son has late lyme disease with arthritis.  He is on doxycycline for 8 weeks.  Is there anything else I should do to make sure this is cured?
First of all, keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose you because I am unable to examine you, this forum is for educational purposes.  
    Doxycycline is a good antibiotic for Lyme disease. Additional treatment would depend on whether there is persistent symptoms after your course of antibiotics is completed.  Late complications of Lyme include, arthritis, numbness/tingling and psychiatric disease.  I would ensure that your son has close follow up to evaluate for these symptoms.  An MRI/MRA of the brain and a SPECT scan of the brain can evaluate for the neuro complications of lyme if they arise.
I hope this has been helpful.
Please describe his symptoms. Thank you.
For the past year, he has been to the orthopedist about four or five times with swollen joints and he never remembers what he did to cause injury.  In November, a lyme disease test was done when he couldn't walk due to his knee being swollen without any apparent injury.  As far as if there are any neurological issues, I don't know.  He does have a hard time concentrating on his school work, but I don't know if that is related.  He can sit and concentrate for a long time if he's reading a book he enjoys.
Dear, "Neever"

I am sorry to hear about your son's Lyme disease. Please keep in mind that the information that I provide here is not professional, is not meant to challenge or to replace that of a physician that you see or receive advice him. It is purely educational.
     With that said-I am assuming that this course of 8 weeks of Doxycycline is the first course of drugs that your son has had? If this is the case and he has late stage LD I would sincerely doubt that the buck stops here. For example, Doxycycline is only considered the tip of the ice berg in treating LD. Let me give you an example of a person with neurological manifestations such as the Multiple Sclerosis LD presentation and how the course may go:

Doxycycline: 12 Months (400 mg daily)
Azithromycine: 6 Months (500 mg daily)
Omnicef" 6 months (500 mg daily)
-> Yes, all of these drugs together daily (as directed)

The course may then turn to IV antibiotics or to intramuscular injections of say, penicilin.

If your son has Late stage LD-he needs to be in the best care and most likely will need and strong and long course with antibiotics. I suggest that you make a visit to lymenet.org.

Good Luck!
JCmcc
Ask your MD about testing for other tick born co-infections. Babesia Bartonella etc.