Neurology Expert Forum
Sound sensitive

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Sound sensitive

I was hoping you may be able to give me some peace of mind about a problem that I've been having for about the last six weeks.  I've become really, really sensitive to sound.  Its not a continuous problem, and is only noticable at the end of the day, or first thing in the morning when its quiet. The annoying thing is that its interfering with my sleep as even the slightest noise such as the house creeking or even my stomach rumbling is amplified and makes my nerves 'flare', which can go right through me and make my heart even pause slightly.  

I have been under a bit of stress lately, and my assumption is that I'm just a little oversensitive.  Would you be inclined to agree that if I ignore it and chill out It'll go away?

Thanks in advance for your advice

S.
Tags: Neurology
Based on your description you are either describing tinnitus or hyperacusis. It is not uncommon that the symptoms of tinnitus are masked during the daytime because of all the surrounding noise, and when one is in a quiet room the symptoms present. This is in contrast to hyperacusis which typically results in the sensation as if things are louder continuously.

Since you have been having the symptoms for 6 weeks, I think it is reasonable to talk with your doctor about this. The doctor can evaluate your neurologic system and then determine if testing should be completed. In some cases patients undergo audiometry (hearing test) or a MRI of the brain. This would be determined based on your exam. Good luck.
Hmmmm, I think I know what you're talking about, it has happened to me a few times. The slightest sound wakes me up too, all of a sudden my body will jerk and I'll wake up, my heart will seem to pause and then start to beat real fast. It has happened a few times in the last few months to me, but I also have a lot more neurological things going on which I still haven't gotten a diagnosis for. And usually, that happens when I fall asleep with something on my mind or I'm stressing about something-like I never go into a deep sleep. Have you tried any sleeping medication? How many hours are you sleeping? I think that when you wake up and go back to sleep, you don't get your stage 4 sleep, which is the most important, and I think that itself can mess with your nerves. I'm definitely not a doctor, just trying to remember things I've heard or read.
I too am experiencing problems with being hypersensitive to sounds.  If the loud speaker system at church is not working properly the high pitch sounds actually feel like a pain inside my head and I have to cover my ears and get down close to the floor. This is very embarrassing and I can't find out why I am like this.  At first when I started having internal vibrations I would lie on the couch hearing my heart beating too loudly, or so it seemed.  I couldn't fall asleep because my heart beat seemed too loud.  If the furnace cut in or the refrigerator, it would bother me but nobody else. I had to turn off my bedside clock as the humming seemed way too loud although a normal person doesn't even hear it.  

I am taking Ampitryline and Neurontin but I still don't have a diagnosis as all the diagnostic testing to date has been normal.   I had foot drop back in the fall of 2001 and as a result the arch on my left foot is higher then my right so that causes balance and mobility problems.  I have shooting pains in my fingers and toes and when I wake up in the morning my hands and fingers are numb up to the elbow.  This gets better as the day goes on but the stiffness gets worse at night.  I do not sleep very well as the burning pain in my foot is worse at night.

I have had physiotherapy, and currently go to for the Arthritis Pool and Joint Works exercises twice a week.  They help somewhat but I don't think nerve damage (if that is what I have) can be corrected or reversed with exercise, but I do reccomend it.

I did get a shot of B12 last week and will get one monthly from now on although my B12 levels were normal.  My grandfather and two aunts all had Pernicious Anemia so I am hoping the B12 may help with my symptoms.  My ANA (Anti Nuclear Antibodies) test was 1:2 ratio, but my doctor tells me that is not high.  So, it looks like a lot of people have many similar symptoms but no answers as to the cause.  My quality of life has changed from being a full time worker who was very physically active to a person who realizes that nobody really understands disability or limitation problems until they walk in that person's shoes.  I am grateful that I am into my late 50's and have had my family and career. I feel so very sorry for all the young people out there in similar situations who don't know where to turn or what to do about their unexplained symptoms.  Good luck and God Bless.

The Canadian
Hi Spring, you say that you are now getting b12 shots although your b12 levels have all been normal. I wouldn't be too sure of that unless you know your b12 levels were well above the bottom level of normal.

I have suffered similar symptoms to you, and a lot of burning/tingling in legs and arms, for over five years. I was given no reason for the symptoms except perhaps chronic fatigue syndrome or stress, neither of which I thought were the cause.

My b12 level was always "within normal limits" although the lower end of normal. My doctor eventually said I needed to stop going on about b12 as being a possible reason for my symptoms.

My levels had been taken several times (between Aug 98 & Nov 2000) and although declining (289pg/ml to 189pg/ml)I was told they were still within normal limits (150-1100) albeit at the lower end. I also had a schilling test (tests absorption of b12)which was within normal limits in 2000.

I told my doctor, and consultants, that I had read reports which show that people who were above the accepted abnormal level, and without other haematological changes, could still have the same problem and that my falling levels indicated this.

I was recently sent to another neurologist, who had obviously decided before I walked through the door that I was wasting his time and decided on no follow up (except a blood sugar test)despite my unexplained neurological symptoms. Again I mentioned the b12 theory, but by his immediate dismissal of this I think my notes probably mentioned I would bring this up. I was told that had been considered and was not my problem.

I managed to find a company in the UK that would organise blood tests. The tests were run at a laboritory in London and guess what....yes, I was now clinically b12 deficient (laboritory result 165 ng/L, normal range 179-1162 ng/L) even by the lower levels in the UK (US and elsewhere are higher).

I have sent the report and a letter to my GP (a few days ago) for his consideration. It will be interesting to see what is said.

I detailed my tale of woe so that you, and perhaps others with similar symptoms to ours, would be aware that this is a problem (undiagnosed b12 deficiency) which seems, from the number of similar cases, to be on the increase. If I can be aware of all the medical reports and warnings how come two GP's, three neurologists, a virologist, and a gastroenteroligist (stomach problems also) can all be so unaware.

Ask what your b12 levels were, and if they were anywhere near the lower end of normal, make sure you get enough to boost you much higher up the scale.

Best of luck
Graham.
i have heard that this problem is very CLASSIC for a magnesium deficiency. you cant test serum blood magnesium levels, but chances are you are deficient. an intracellular RBC test is the only accurate test for tissue magnesium.
since that is difficult-- it is OK to start replacing magnesium and see if it improves. it can take 2 weeks to get good tissue levels.
there is a brand called slow-mag that has good absorption (over the counter).
dont take your magnesium at the same time as calcium (they compete, calcium wins) dont take a cheap magnesium like "oxide"
it cant hurt you to try this-- if you get too much magnesium you will get soft stools. you dont want to take excess amgnesium if you already have a kidney disorder, otherwize it is really safe.

i experinced this last year-- when i replaced magnesium and starting eating magnesium rich foods like spinach, fish, chocolate, etc--
it went away.

look at some of these links that talk about noise sensitivity and magnesium deficeincy-
the second link says symptoms of Mg deficeincy - "loud noise sensitivity from stapedius muscle tension in the ear. "

http://www.ctds.info/noise-sensitivity.html

http://www.healthy.net/asp/templates/article.asp?PageType=Article&ID=541

http://www.up-to-date.com/saitwebsite/cause3.html

http://home.revealed.net/jimchiro/Tinnitis(Ear-Noises).html

http://www.mgwater.com/liste.shtml

I am new to this website and I have read a lot of posts on here this evening and it seems like everybody is taking Neurontin.  What is exactly is it for?  What does is help with?  Will it cause liver disease or Hepatitis if taken for a long amount of time?? Also, I have heard it is prescribed for depression.  Is that true??