Neurology Expert Forum
Spasm in back of head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Spasm in back of head

I posted around a month ago about having a relapse aura (I have temporal lobe epilepsy) which caused great anxiety. This led to a mild migratory paresthesia over my body, mostly in my hands and feet. Anyway, a few weeks ago I went to the dentist and my head was put in an awkward position. 1 day later I developed this odd sensation in the back of my head. It feels like a tightening/pulling sensation with mild pressure. Almost like a muslce spasm, but when I put my hand over the area I can't feel anything. It's not persistent, and it seems to come and ago every few days. But once in a while it lasts the whole day (every 2-5 minutes) which is very annoying. What do you think this is?

I currently take 600MG Tegretol twice a day and 20MG Paxil once a day.
First of all, keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose you because I am unable to examine you, this forum is for educational purposes.
   The symptoms you describe are most consistent with a muscle spasm.  An akward position can place a strain on a muscle in your neck and that feels tight and is often painful.  This should get better with rest and naproxen/alleve.  If your condition does not improve, I would contact your epileptologist, describe the spell to them, and they may decide to get an EEG just to make sure this is not a seizure (it does not sound like one).
I hope this has been helpful.
My daughter had a grand mall siezure {1st time}and is on the same medications you are on. She has a large developing angioma of the blood vessel or artery on the frontal lobe of her brain. She complains of mild headaches at the temples.I have short pulsing pain at the occipital artery on the outer edge of my head, that sometimes goes deeper and feels like a pulling sensation or spasms. I also have stabbing pains like spasms that last seconds to the top of my brain, and now the left temporal lobe off and on.I also have throbbing pains in the back of the head from a tortuous, mildly ectacic basilar artery with junctional dilatation at the vertebral. I have no seizures though.