Neurology Expert Forum
Spasms before and during sleep

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Spasms before and during sleep

Dear Sir/Madam,
For the past year or so I have started to spasms before and during sleep. Recently though this as got to be that severe that I am waking up during the night after biting my tongue or nearly jarring my back with the spasms being so severe. In adition to this I have started having mood swings, I am not sure whever this is due to the tiredness I am experiencing due to the lack of sleep I am experiencing. At first my partner and I joked about the night time spasms. But now I am worried as it wakes her up due to the severity of me jolting by her side at least three times a night. This is becoming an issue for us both due to the lack of sleep.
  Finally I plucked up the courage to go see my doctor today. During my appointment with the doctor he disclosed that I had a common sleep defect that is very common. My doctor also told me that there isn't a cure, but he also told me that there's isn't really any treatment.
  Firstly, I am extremely happy that my symtoms (symptoms) are not life threatening i.e. M.S. etc. Although at the same time I am absolutely dismayed that I just have to get on with it as my doctor said there's no medication to ease the symptoms.
  I am now thinking of seeking a second opinion as I cannot live like this. I am constantly tired, the amount of times i have apologised to my partner for jolting her awake during the night is getting to her and me. But finally the pain I feel when I'm jolting at night is to much and I don't know where to turn. If you could advice me I would be extremely grateful.
                                                                               Yours sincerely,
                                                                               Jonathan Green.
Tags: spasms
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Spasms at night can be of several varieties depending on more clinical history and examination. For example, seizures can occur at night. Restless legs syndrome can be mistaken for spasms as well as periodic limb movement of the legs. There is another condition called nocturnal leg cramps. These are painful muscle tightness that occurs during sleep, as the name implies. The spasms may last a few seconds to minutes. The cause of the cramps is unknown. The treatment is usually local massage to relieve the cramps.

If you are seeking a second opinion, you should seek a physician who specializes in sleep disorders, particularly a neurologist. You may need an overnight sleep study called a PSG.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
I have the same as you, but my jerks happen during the day as well. It is myoclonus, the type they think I have is spinal myoclonus and I have jerks in my back and legs as well as tremors.
I was given clonazepam to help me sleep, it doesn't make my jerks go away but it has made sleeping easier (I have recently stopped taking it and really am struggling to sleep).
I know what you are saying about disturbing your wife, my husband says its like trying to sleep on a trampoline next to me, my jerks are constant and do happen when I am asleep.
My advice to you is to be referred to a neurologist who deals with movement disorders, I have been like this for 4 years and have had numerous tests to find out the cause of my myoclonus, I'm still going to my neurologist as I refuse to live like this and I am determined to find a cause and a cure.
Wishing you all the best and hoping your pain settles down.
Suz