Neurology Expert Forum
Spells where I zone out

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Spells where I zone out

For several months I have been feeling drowsy a lot,  but not only that,  I keep completely zoning out like I am hypnotized.   It happens randomly many times a day.  Less often if I'm up moving around, more often if I'm sitting at the computer or not looking around. My vision goes distorted, blurred in a way, and I feel like I could just fall over asleep...but at the same time i feel compelled to fight it.  I bring myself out of it by shaking my head or looking around at different stuff.   It's overwhelming and happens pretty randomly.   I have had a sleep study and told I didn't need a mask, that I don't have severe apnea.  I also had a brain scan and EEG with no diagnosis (I do have a 3 cm tumor above the right eye and have known about it for years but no one said anything about it causing my symptoms).  Please help.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Your workup so far has been indicated. “Spacing-out” can be an epilepsy called absence seizure. These are characterized by brief episodes of “spacing out” that may go unnoticeable to many. There will be loss of awareness during the episodes. Was your EEG with hyperventilation? This may be necessary to help identify this epilepsy.

Secondly, sleep apnea (or other sleep disorders) can lead to daytime fatigue. This is more likely to occur in overweight people who snore but can occur in anyone. Symptoms include snoring, daytime sleepiness, lack of concentration, and headaches. Untreated, sleep apnea can cause many medical problems, and with treatment many symptoms improve. The diagnosis is made by a sleep study, called a polysomnogram, and treatment involves a mask placed over the nose and/or mouth that is adjusted to improve ventilation during sleep. It sounds like you do not need this based on your post.

Trouble with concentration (and sometime memory) in younger people can have other causes. One that comes to mind is low thyroid function, what is called hypothyroidism. Low thyroid function causes fatigue, weight gain, cold intolerance, constipation, and memory/concentration problems in addition to several other symptoms. Another possibility is anemia, which can cause severe fatigue and thinking trouble. In addition, other causes include certain vitamin deficiencies. These can all be diagnosed with simple blood tests.

Another group of problems that can cause thinking problems and fatigue are psychiatric. This is not at all to say you are crazy or making anything up. Clinical (medical) depression and anxiety can sometimes be expressed not in sad or depressed feelings but rather in thinking troubles and fatigue. Treatment improves this.

Certain people live into adulthood with thinking troubles that are later diagnosed as learning disabilities or attention deficit disorder (ADD). Many people think of this as a childhood disorder but it can start in childhood and not be diagnosed into adulthood.

Lastly, there is a condition called chronic fatigue syndrome that may be diagnosed after other causes are evaluated.

There are several potentially treatable causes to your symptoms. I strongly suggest you share your concerns with your physician. She/he after examining you and obtaining a history may choose to recommend referral to a specialist as necessary.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.

A related discussion, Zoning out was started.
A related discussion, Spacing or Zoning out was started.