Neurology Community
Spina Bifida

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Spina Bifida

Ok this might be a dumb question...but I need to know this!  My daughters "sperm donor"  of a father says that he was diagnosed with spina bifida 4 yrs ago.  He is 28 years old.  Can you just "get" it..or is it something you have to be born with?  I was under the understanding that it is something that you are born with.  Can someone please help me clear this up?  Thanks soo much!  Happy Holidays!
Hello.

Spina Bifida is a developmental birth defect. You are born with it. And if the parents have a child with spina bifida, there are higher chances of the next child to be born with spina bifida.

Regards
Yeah I gathered that when I did some research.  I also found that there are 3 different kinds of Spina Bifida.  And the mildest case is what my daughter's father has.  I dint believe him when he told me so thats what I was researching all about this.  And seeing the symptoms and stuff of the mildest case...I can understand how it is now diagnosed and that he just might not be lying.  The only thing is I am wondering is he says he cant work....why isnt he on SSI?  Or something.  I think its just an excuse.  Thanks for your feeback!  I was thinking that I wasnt going to have any.  Thanks again.