Neurology Community
Spinal Fluid at Base of Brain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Spinal Fluid at Base of Brain

I've heard that doctors have seen a condition where when spinal fluid builds up at the base of the brain the victim can exhibit characteristics of Alzheimer's or dementia.  Is this true?  If so, how can we detect whether or not this could be the problem?  My mother-in-law is exhibiting dementia characteristics: Loss of short-term memory, not clear in her thoughts, paranoia.  I know that in some cases neurologists may not think to look for spinal fluid leakage/build-up on a CAT scan.  Any recommendations on how we might be able to rule this out as a cause for my mother-in-law's condition?  What would we look for??
Hi, there is an MRI that can be done to look at CSF  flow. It is a CINE MRI...it is done with a lead clip on a finger and several tests r run and then they bring her out to add a contrast via an injection and send her back into the MRI for more testing.

This test is not done everywhere, and I am told is best done while standing or sitting.

Good luck
"selma"