Neurology Community
Spinal Hemangioma

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Spinal Hemangioma

I am 22 years old and I have had back pain for as long as I can remember. March 2008, the pain got so bad it prompted me to go to my doctor about it. He did some x-rays and came back telling me I have degenerative arthritis throughout my spine and Scheuermann's Disease. He started me in physical therapy (which did nothing after 3 months of going 2 times per week). The physical therapist gave me a TENS unit, which also did nothing. I continued the exercises from my physical therapist even after the therapy was "complete" as she put it. Nothing helped. The pain got so bad I have been in tears for about 2 and a half weeks now. I called my doctor and said I needed to get in immediately. when i went to the doctor, I assumed that it was the Scheuermann's acting up. I had worked on my posture like my doctor wanted, but I am physically unable to sit up straight because of pain. It just made sense that I am not able to sit straight up because of an extra curve in my spine. He didn't think that was the problem and ordered an MRI. My mom works at the hospital where i got my test done so she looked up my results this morning. I called and elft my doctor a message to call me with my test results and an update on my FMLA paper work. Of course, no call was received. I am sitting here, alone with the internet, left to read about my hemangioma at the T& area of my spine. I am so confused and kind of scared. all i can really see is how no one has found an answer because doctors are so sure that this does not cause pain. i KNOW this is what is causing my pain. it is in the exact spot my pain has been coming from and it is terrible. my MRI report also said my "overall examination was unremarkable for someone my age". I'm sorry, but everything I find about hemangiomas say normal age is 30-50... I'm only 22! I am stuck with this fear that my doctor is going to tell me everything looked fine, when I know in fact that I have this tumor growing on my spine. I guess I am just curious as to what I should tell my doctor about everything. I am just so scared that this is going to get layed off as nothing, when i can't function in daily life because my back pain is so bad. any help calming me down would be GREATLY appreciated!

This discussion is related to Spinal Hemangioma.

Spinal hemangiomas can cause symptoms similar to what your currently have like lower back pain, weakness and numbness in the legs. It is difficult to give a clinical opinion though without a clinical exam.
I would suggest you to call up your medical center to know the test results as they have not called back. Also you can seek a second opinion with a neurologist to put your mind to rest.

ive been diagnosed with three herniated dics in my cervical spine and a hemangioma on my t2 region and i pin pointed my pain before the did the mri but the doctors said even with the stuff they found nothing should be causing my pain what should i do
I've been told that I have a hemangioma at T6. (1cm lesion). The Dr told me it wouldn't cause pain but I have a lot of pain in my middle and lower back. I don't know what to do next. I've had xrays, MRI's, chiropractor. No one seems to know what is the cause of my pain. Does a hemangioma cause pain? My Dr says no but I wonder.
You know I just love how these doctors tell us how these things do not cause pain,.I had an MRI done in 2008 and it showed a hemangioma on my  back and the doctor said it could not be causing my pain. I have complained of  excruciating back pain for a ;year and a half now and he finally gave me another MRI and now I have several of them on my back.  Now they are sending me to an ortho doctor!!!  How the heck do they know they do not cause pain do they have them....why dont they listen to their patients!!!!!!!
i have had back pain for a few years in 2007 a fusion of l 4-5 was one i had relief for about two years then buttocks and thigh and general leg pain came about in feb 2010 i had a laminectomy of l 4-5 as i grew too much bone a month of feeling good then severed leg and buttock pain returned 2 nerve root block were done in may of 2010 did not help a bit severe pain continues recent mri showed hemangioma in l-3 body any advice would be good
I have had lower back pain for 2+ years now. 2 x-rays and a MRI later they are telling me everything came back normal. I know the pain I experience is unreal and to the point that I cant walk sometimes. My MRI showed that I also have a hemangioma on my t7 I believe. They too told me it wouldn't cause the pain and that I need to go see an ortho. This is so crazy since I am only 25!! I did read that something witty child birth could start it and I have a 5 year old.
I have a 9mm hemogioma in my lumbar spine and no doctor will tell me the truth about my hemogioma I am so tired of being sent home. With meds and doctors telling me it will go away on it's own what can I do my last mri was in march of 2006 where can I find a doctor that will address this without sending me home? I want this gone I am in pain all the time.
My daughter started having pain at 17, it was Feb and she couldn't move it was soo bad. After a weekend of laying on the floor we went to the doc. He sent us to ortho doc who said pulled muscle. 6 weeks of excercise and still in pain. He ordered a MRI. Showed tumor(HEMANGIOMA) T2. He sent us to ONcologist in Chicago. He said " Wait and see" Have scans now every three months. She is in pain every day. she rates it now as a 9 to 10 on their scale. Now they want to radiate.  We don't know what to do. She can't stand straight. Our doc said the test don't look like normal Hemagioma but we should just watch. Her tumor  cannot be removed because of location.
They won't give her pain meds because they don't want her to be addicted. I can't stant watching this much longer. I think we will start pain management with a doc.? What do you do?