Neurology Expert Forum
Spinal Lesion - Anxiety and Treatment

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Spinal Lesion - Anxiety and Treatment

A relative has been diagnosed with a spinal lesion at the top of the spine area - near the neck.

Problem is, we still dont know what caused it or how to treat it.

The medical experts have sent her home, having done tests for MS, cancer etc all proving negative (thogh of course we appreciate no tests can be 100% conclusive).

The lesion impacts on her life heavily. She is confined to bed most of the time and it has made her incontinent too.

The impact on her life, of course, is huge.

Please can someone help to give us "directions" on how to proceed?

What is the most likely cause and what forms of treatment are available?

I was wondering if osteopathy can help or if it is a waste of money. Is surgery the answer or can the body heal itself of such a lesion?

As you can see, I am needing some help here! I am very open to all ideas and suggestions.

Please help.

Many thanks in advance for any one able to post replies.
I'm sorry for your relative, it is a lifechanging situation

Unfortunately I cannot give you any more information on what the lesion is or not and prognosis with the amount of information you give me.

Whatever the diagnosis is, it results in the same outcome - spinal cord injury and this is one of the most difficult rehabilitation times to go through, and she needs a lot of support

She may benefot from having a physical medicine and rehabilitation specialist to cordinate her care - with phsyical therapy, occupational therapy, home care, bladder and bowel managment, prevention of bedsores etc. She is at high risk for depression so this must be identified early and treated.

Try the National Spinal Cord Injury Association at www.spinalcord.org for more information on support resources

Firstly, I am not a doctor, but did have a partial spinal lesion about 1.5yrs ago (transverse myelitis which turned out to be MS), so I can only comment on what I know from this experience.

I assume they did an MRI and lumbar punture; what specifically did they say? There are various non-structural causes of spinal problems, including post-infectious and demyelination (including MS). The treatment, if any, is dependent on what they think is the underlying cause; they may have some idea of the type of lesion from the blood-work and lumbar puncture (ANA, protein, oligoclonal bands?).

Spinal lesions are difficult to deal with. Again, I'm not a doctor, but what I was told (and from my own research) is that the path to take with these cases is 1) the underlying cause and 2) rehabilitation. The first may involve steroids or immunomodulatory drugs (e.g. if the suspicion for MS is high). The second is to regain as much function as possible, and prevent further deterioration and/or complications. This is especially important with bladder/bowel problems.

How long since the presentation, and over what timespan from start to maximum disability? If the lesion is inflammatory, some recovery may occur over weeks to months.

Sorry not to be of much help over the forum! It would be great if you could put more details of the tests if available, I think it would also be very valuable to the Dr. answering these posts.

All the best,
A related discussion, lumbar spine lower section was started.
A related discussion, Neck pain was started.