Neurology Expert Forum
Spinal Lesions

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Spinal Lesions

Do spinal lesions "always" show up in the center of the spinal cord or can they be anywhere?

Can lesions in the spinal cord be like lesions in the brain and be under the detectable resolution of the MRI?

I was told no, not likely, by a radiologist, and yes by neurologist. How confusing and fustrating. What is your opinion?

Dear Pokey:

It depends on how you define spinal lesions.  If you mean the entire spinal column and it's contents, then lesion can be in the cord itself, vertebral column, within the canal but outside the cord, or in the foramen.  If you mean only the spinal cord, then the answer is still no, because the lesion can be in the center or canal space, in the white matter, or in the gray matter.  Yes, as anything, the resolution of the MRI predicts the resolution of the detection size.  

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
I appologize, I should have been more specific in my question.

I was wondering if demyelinating lesions can be anywhere in the cord. Not just location (cervical, thoracic), but more if they can be anterior, posterior or smack dab in the middle. I was told they are always in the center of the cord by radiologist, but neurologist disagreed. What is your opinion?