Neurology Expert Forum
Spinal Lesions
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Spinal Lesions

Do spinal lesions "always" show up in the center of the spinal cord or can they be anywhere?

Can lesions in the spinal cord be like lesions in the brain and be under the detectable resolution of the MRI?

I was told no, not likely, by a radiologist, and yes by neurologist. How confusing and fustrating. What is your opinion?

Thanks
Related Discussions
Dear Pokey:

It depends on how you define spinal lesions.  If you mean the entire spinal column and it's contents, then lesion can be in the cord itself, vertebral column, within the canal but outside the cord, or in the foramen.  If you mean only the spinal cord, then the answer is still no, because the lesion can be in the center or canal space, in the white matter, or in the gray matter.  Yes, as anything, the resolution of the MRI predicts the resolution of the detection size.  

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
2 Comments
Blank
I appologize, I should have been more specific in my question.

I was wondering if demyelinating lesions can be anywhere in the cord. Not just location (cervical, thoracic), but more if they can be anterior, posterior or smack dab in the middle. I was told they are always in the center of the cord by radiologist, but neurologist disagreed. What is your opinion?

Thanks
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703