Neurology Community
Spinal Lipoma

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Spinal Lipoma

Four years ago an MRI showing a fatty deposit between L3 and L4 on my spine.  It has and is causing pain and numbness in my left leg.  Two spinal surgeons did not recommend surgery at that time.  They were afraid of nerve involvement with the lipoma.  Is there any other form of treatment to get rid of the lipoma and/or relieve the pain and numbness in my leg?  Cyberknife?  Tens or electric stimullus?
Sorry this is a second posting for this issue if you have already responded.
I think the best course of action is to have injections of a numbing agent around the lipoma would be the best way to determine if there is any pain relief? When I was begging my doctors to take a look into them they just would not believe they would cause any pain but they do and they can be very painful. I had the injection therapist to inject only around my lipomas and a quick relief was attained but they would not believe it so I am now going to a experienced plastic surgeon to do a exploratory with mass removal. I was diagnosed with a half dozen different maladays with occipital nueralgia as the dumbest of them all. So this is how I determined if it would help and even though I have not had the operation I'm sure some of the pain will be deminished. I had one removed from my stomach at the belt line and my stomach and chest pain that radiated up was immediately better after that was removed so I'm sure you will need them removed if numbing injections work on your lipomas. They do have to inject around the nerves close or under the lipoma and it stings a bit but it is a good test to determine if you can get some relief. Good Luck!!! Lipomas are a hidden factor in many low back pain syndromes that can be very painful.