Neurology Expert Forum
Spinal Pressure - high - Cause?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Spinal Pressure - high - Cause?

I recently posted a message in the headaches forum, but have since had more tests run, so I wanted to ask a different question here.  Short story: I was put on estrogen replacement therapy, began suffering severe headaches with classic migraine symptoms including visual disturbances, throbbing pain on one side, nausea...I have a history of vertigo, and numbness in my extremeties.  Local neurologist suggested EEG, MRIs with and without contrast, cutting estrogen dosage from 1.25mg down to .75mg, spinal tap, and extensive blood tests.  EEG came back normal, MRIs came back clear, estrogen dose level is not making any changes, spinal pressure was "high", blood test and spinal fluid test have not yet come back.  My questions - What causes an elevated spinal pressure?  What can be done to correct it?  Am I destined to feel this pain in my head forever?!
  Thank you for your time!
___________________
___________________
Dear Kelly,
There exists a condition called pseudotumor cerebri that may be consistent with your story.  It is a condition of unknown cause seen typically in overweight younger women.  It may present with headaches, nausea and visual disturbances.  A spinal tap reveals that the pressure is abnormally high, but nothing else is wrong with the fluid on analysis.  The major risk in such patients is loss of vision, which can occur.  When a patient is diagnosed with pseudotumor cerebri, a shunt is commonly placed.  This would be either from the head into the abdomen, or from the lumbar region to the abdomen.
It isn't clear whether or not you have this condition, but you should discuss these issues with your neurologist to be sure.
Good luck.

Kelly

i have been having headace for a 3yrs.taking pain pills.My doctor wants me to see a eye doctor did that.The eye doctor,think that i had pesudotumor cererbi,had a MRI done came back normal,had a LP done.the pressure of that test was high.Now im still having headace my vision is chanceing.what causes the LP pressure to be high.In what else can be going on with me.In when i have headace it make my face hurt.