Spinal cold sensation
I'm a 49 yr old male with chronic lower back pain due to mild degenerative disk condition. I have managed pain and avoid spasms with a daily stretching routine and exercise. However, EVERY evening I wake up in the middle of the night with an extreme-painful-freezing-cold-sensation coming from my lower spine and it points out to L4 L5 or L5 S1. The only way I can go back to sleep is by wrapping a heating pad which gives me immediate relief as heat takes over. It has nothing to do with sleeping positions, room temperature, weather or any other influence. During the day I have no such pain sensation.  I have searched everywhere for an answer but nothing so far. Please help anyone????
Have you had an MRI lately?  You might have a herniated disc that is reacting to your position while sleeping.  Have you tried a body pillow or other device to keep you off your back?  I would recommend seeing a doctor and getting an MRI.  Decompression exercise are good if you get an at home traction device and try that before bed that might free up any pinched nerve that is causing you issues.  

I hope this helps.  Keep me posted on how you are doing.
I had MRI's done in the past showing narrowing and some bulgyness. However there is no sign of pinched nerves. Extended times of everything hurt my back but I have managed to control it with flexing and exercises. Decompression is not an issue either since I tried it with no help. Need to know the mechanics of why such particular pain at night so I can deal with it. Disk replacement is out of the question for now till FDA approve those other advanced technical out in Europe (we are far behind!)
You might think about injections or nerve root burning. That can offer relief w/out surgery a simple in/out w/no sedation needed but available if you are like me and can not imagine a needle in your spine.  lol

Micro discetomy could relieve pressure as well w/out disc replacement.  Just takes out the buldging portion of the disc that is causing pinching of the nerve.  Do you have access to pain management doctors?  They can explain your options w/out narcotic medications.

Core stregthening as well but sounds like you are taking care of that.  as far as a technical answer I am sorry I do not have any answers for you.  I hope you are able to find the relief you need/want.  Keep me posted if you like.  Good luck