Neurology Expert Forum
Spinal fluid leaking into the base of the brain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

What causes spinal fluid to leak into the base of the brain? Over a period of three to four years what kind of damage can this do? And lastly, what can be done to correct this?
The entire brain is surrounded by spinal ( or cerebro-spinal fluid  CSF, as it is more correctly called ). I presume that you are referring to leak of fluid from the skull base.
This can occur whenever the skull bones are breached , either by surgery, trauma or another process which erodes away a piece of bone leaving a defect through which fluid can leak out.
Sometimes this seems to occurr spontaneously and a cause is never found, possibly due to some congenital anatomical anomaly.
The actual leak itself is not harmful, and will not cause any long term damage.
The danger is that at any time if fluid can leak out then infection can potentially get in, causing meningitis.
A constant leak can cause low CSF pressure which can lead to chronic headaches.
This sort of leak would probably require surgical correction, as it is not likely to close spontaneously ater this time period.
spinal fluid leaking causes
How early can you detect fluid on the spine?
Lesli,
My mother has Arnold Chiari syndrome with Syringomyelia. Your question made me think of this because that it how she described the situation.  I hope that not what you have but you may want to check with your dr.
Good Luck
Lori
A related discussion, leaking brain was started.
A related discussion, Effects of ICP on future generations was started.