Neurology Expert Forum
Spine sensitive to touch

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Spine sensitive to touch

My spine from the lumbar region down is extremely painful when touched.  I have had xrays and the doctors say that they can find nothing.  I have had this problem for 10 years, but it has been noticably worse the past week.  There is also sharp pain in the area when I lift heavy objects.  It's almost like a burning sensation.  The muscles either side of my spine are fine.  It's only the spine it self that hurts.  I have no pain or numbness in my legs. I have now missed 5 days of work because the pain is so severe I can't sit in the car to drive.  Any ideas?
First of all, keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose you because I am unable to examine you, this forum is for educational purposes.      
   The symptoms and story that you provide are concerning, but non-specific.  Pain to the touch in the spine area is concerning for arthritis, structural lesion, compression fracture, etc.  It would be unlikely to be something very agressive (such as a tumor in the spine) since it has been going on for 10 years (bad problems generally progress much faster).  You mentioned X-rays, but if you have not had an MRI of your lumbar spine with contrast, you need one.  This will give you more information on what is going on.  I would also recommend a bone scan, lumbar puncture (for inflammation and cytology) and some blood work including ANA, ESR, CRP, RF, alkaline phosphatase and a PSA (if male).  
I hope this has been helpful.
sounds muscular or ligamentous to me.--ie the muscles and ligaments around and even in the spine may be weak/strained--perhaps due to posture or weight
Hi were they regular exrays or did they include an MRI.  We all know lots of times things can be missed, but if it hurts that bad, please go to another doctor.  Tell them you want a standing up MRI for the spine.  It is fairly newer because they found that taking a standing/sitting MRI of the spine gives a much more detailed picture than when laying down.  This makes the diagnosis of the spine better for some reason.  Hope that helps
A related discussion, Spine hutsto touch was started.