Neurology Community
Spinocerebellar ataxia

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Spinocerebellar ataxia

Hi! This question has nothing related to health, but I was wondering what type of doctor that specialize in Spinocerebellar ataxia. I'm 15 and I want to be a doctor that specialize in Spinocerebellar ataxia.
Dear     Ppacmonster,

I  am happy to see you  ppost and I    am very happy to see your innnterst    in SCA and Ataxia!

The answer to your question is a MOvement Disorder Specialist. The  y are a Neurologist and study movement disorders. Once an undergrad, then would head  to mediccal school. After graduating med school, onto residency and after thatt become  a Fellow under another  doctor who woulld be specialist in  movement disorders.

There are few and far between those neurologiist who are experts in the field. I  believe you must be very special to want to work in this rare disorder.

If I may ask iif you have personnal intrest in this? Family   member?

Med helpp has opened an Ataxia   forum also. It is very slow and quiet, I am a monitor there. But you are very  welcome posting where you fell comfortable.
Thank you Pacmonster and look forward to helping any way I could.
Amo

Hi, your question has found its way to the MS community forum, not sure why thats happened or if anyone here can help. I did a google search "type of dr who treats spinocerebellar ataxia" just out of interest and came up with a few interesting research articles.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3138714/

After reading this one, i can see two different feilds of medicine Neurology and Geneology, so the types of doctors that specialise in Spinocerebellar ataxia would be either a Nurologist or a Geneticist, depending on the field that interests you the most.

Cheers......JJ  
Avatar n tn
It is a very rare disorder,that's probably why it's quiet. It wasn't because of a family member; I was inspired by someone to become a doctor that would specialize in Spinocerebellar Ataxia . I want to be a doctor that can help people,even if there is no cure right now, I believe there is going to be a cure for it in the far future. Even if that person has this disease if they lose hope in everything, I wouldn't want that to happen I would want them to try everything that would help them. I too want to find and help people that has this disorder. Also Thank you for responding and your time  I was worried if no one wouldn't respond. So thank you very much supermum_ms and AMO! It was really well appreciated and I will become a great movement disorder neurologist.