Neurology Expert Forum
Squealing/whistling sound in my head when I lay on my stomach with head...
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Squealing/whistling sound in my head when I lay on my stomach with head turned

I am a 33 yr old female in good health.  For the past couple of months I have noticed a very disturbing noise in my head.  The only time I can hear it is at night and I have to lay on my stomach with my head turned to the right and then I can hear it in my left ear that is in my pillow.  What it sounds like is a squealing noise that pulses to my heart, seems to go up in pitch, then fades out completely after about 20 beats.  To my uneducated ear, it sounds like an aneurysm filling with blood or something (the changing pitch as it fills and stopping once filled).  Maybe that sounds far fetched - I don't know.  I went to my doctor in January and they sent me to a ENT - said it was sinuses.  He did a ear exam and also, at my insistance, a brain MRI.  The MRI results were normal, according to the radiologist.  I also have chronic neck pain and stiffness.  I'm wondering if since it's only when I'm in that certain position if it could be coming from my neck?  Could I have an aneurysm in my neck?  What else could make such a strange sound?  Could I have one in my head that didn't show up on MRI?  I'm hoping to get an MRI of my neck soon (ordered by the ENT doc - talking to him tomorrow) and then ask for a referral to a neurologist.

Have you ever heard of these symptoms?  The sound is definitely real, but I ONLY hear it when I lay in the position I mention.  

Thank You,
J.M.