Neurology Expert Forum
Stabbing, Jabbing, head pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Stabbing, Jabbing, head pain

I am a 30 year old woman who get stabbing, jolts (kind of burning, sharp) of pain in my head at times. My scalp also gets "tender" at times after the pain. It comes out of the blue and last about 5-10 seconds. It is usually in the back top section of my head on the right. Any ideas on what this may be??? It can be scary at times. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
There is a special type of headache called ice pick headache that feels exactly how it sounds. Comes out of the blue, is very brief (just a few seconds or minutes) and feels like a spike going through your head. Although they're usually related to migraines, they can also be a part of other headaches like cluster.  Because they are so brief, treatment is not needed. But if they stay around, indomethacin is the treatment of choice. I can understand how it can be scary, so if you're concerned about them- think about seeing a neurologist who'll examine you and order an MRI brain if necessary. GOod luck.
You are not alone.  I am a 27-year-old female with the exact same symptoms.  I have been getting these pains for years.  Only recently they have been much more frequent.  Almost daily.  They are aweful.  I am only for the first time looking into the problem.  The only thing that makes me feel better is to ram my head against the wall.  (I know it sounds crazy!  But, the pain from ramming my head into the wall is much better than the "ice pick" head, as the doctor here on-line termed it.)  I just went to the doctors for this problem and I think my doctor is baffled.  I just had x-rays taken of the skull, but I anticipate that it will show nothing.  He is going to request approval for a CT scan, which I also anticipate will show nothing.  

I wish I knew what this was.
I am a 39 year old female who has experienced headaches I
describe as feeling like ice pick stabbing me since I was 18 years old. I have been to all sorts of Drs. in the past but finially diaonosed myself with cluster headaches. Of course this may not be what you have but it might benefit you to check this theory out. There is a website called www.clusterheadaches.com.
They list all symptoms FYI. Hope this helps unfortunantly if you do have cluster headaches there is no cure but perhaps knowing what it is can help you combat it. And I am living proof it is a war.
hello!

I too have been experiencing that piercing pain, located on the back right side of my head.  It started two days ago... woke me up, and is still coming and going.  It has also affected my right ear... as my hearing seems to come and go.... but not for long.  Has anywone else experienced this?  I'm also feeling pressure on the right side of my face... sinus area.

thanks for any responses!!!!
I get a very similar kind of head pain about once every couple months.  The pain is in the upper, rear, right side of my head.  The pain is intense for about 2-3 seconds and then goes away.  But this happens every 20-30 seconds for most of the day.  My scalp in that area is very "tender" to even the lightest touch.  Combing my hair even hurts, but only in that area.  Various pain relievers help somewhat but don't get rid of the pain completely.  This usually only lasts about a day, sometimes two, but that is rare.

Not sure of any questions or advice, just that I'm having the pain today and I know it sucks.
Holy Cow!!!!This sounds like the head pain I am having.  I'm a 33 year old woman and these pains have been coming and going every 30 minutes on average for the last 3 days.They even wake me up a few times per night. Before,I have occasionally had the same pains, but not for this long.  It does feel like an icepick in the back right side of my skull.  It lasts for 3-5 seconds then recedes completely.  This certainly isn't a headache, it is a true stabbing pain.In fact, I don't even have a residual headache afterward, I feel absolutly fine. My neck has been stiff (like I slept wrong) for the same amount of time. Tylenol doesn't help, but at least it feels like you're doing something and you're not a psycho hypocondriac!
can some one assist me with an answer to lipoma of the thecal sac ,as I recenty have been diagnosed and I want to know what nervous disorders can this condition produce.
I also have degeneration of several discs aand spinal canal stenosis. do these ailments cause head aches ans trembles through the body and nervous system
Thank you
A related discussion, MRI for cluster headache was started.
A related discussion, What is this? was started.
A related discussion, Ice pick head pain eye pain was started.
A related discussion, Stabbing head pain was started.