Stabbing Pain in the Right back side of brain

My partner keeps complaining that he is suffering from really server stabbing pains in the right hand side of his brain, near to the back slightly further up from the top of his ear.
He has said it comes on or worsens when he moves his head quickly, or if applying pressure of force to anything, eg opening a jar of jam, where the lid is on tight)

He's convinced it's serious, but is afraid to seek further advice, as he has convinced him self that it must be life threating with it being in his brain.

Any advice would be great. Please help if you can.
AJC
I cannot say what the problem is. I can tell you what my neurologist told me about the (almost debilitating) shooting pain in my head.  I have migraines. I never had the stabbing pains until a couple months ago. I was very scared because it would almost knock me down and I would panic. My neurologist told me this was probably just "ice pick" pains usually associated with migraines and not to worry. They went away for me, but for some people they get very many. He also said migraines usually diminish with age which made me happy. The "ice pick" pains, he said, were nerves in the brain sending pain signals. I don't know if this is what he is having but this was my experience. If he has migraines, I would assume the chances are good. Good luck!