Neurology Community
Stabbing headache

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Stabbing headache

Hi, I am 25years old and for the past week I have been experiencing these stabbing headaches on the right side of my head, always in the same area. They last as long as a normal headache would, ie i have to treat it with tablets. The worst it has become so far is to the point where my side of my face was numb, and then my arm started to ached (all on the same side). The times are not constant, the last episode happened this morning at 4am. Please could someone assist me with what I should do next.
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

Generally, one sided headache with associated other symptoms like dizziness, numbness could be suggestive of migraine. Triggering factors could be different foods such as cheese, chocolate, alcohol and even few fruits. Other factors that may induce your migraine attack may be contraceptive pills, stress or depression, bright lights, loud noise and traveling. The mainstay of the migraine treatment is always to identify the triggering factors and to avoid them.  Few women experience headache more commonly during the time of their menstrual periods & at the time of hormonal imbalance. I would suggest careful record of events that have proceeded with the attack and avoid those factors. In addition, try to rest in a dark & quiet room, meditate, have a balanced diet and avoid taking unnecessary drugs. Even then if you suffer continuous headache, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the further underlying disorders by clinically examine you & ordering MRI or CT scan here that may be the main reasons of your migraine attacks and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Hope this information proves helpful to you.

Take Care & Regards!!!

Thank you for your help. I forgot to mention that I  was in an accident about 5 years ago and suffered from whiplash to the point where I started to have many problems with my neck - stiffness, sometimes even a headache from it. I have gone to a chiropractor and it didnt help. When i had xrays done they could not see anything unusual.
I know im not eating anything unusual,and its not my contraceptive pill as im on it for a while already and do not suffer any side effects from taking it. I do usually get a headache at the beginning of my period but i know its not like that as that is usually over my front of my head. These sharp stabbing pains ( headaches) are unlike anything I have had before hence the concern. I have had numerous migrained before to the extent of nausea but I know that these are not the same.

I understand that this is difficult for you to help without seeing the patient however to get the best care here in SA is rather expensive therefore I am trying every other possible means first.  I appreciate all your help.