Neurology Community
Stabbing pain in temple

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Stabbing pain in temple

Hi, I'm terrified.  Leaving for a trip in 2 days.  I've been getting these sharp shooting pains in my head, temple area.  They come and go.  I've read about "ice pick headaches", kind of sounds like that.  This is really my only symptom.  I don't know if it's anxiety (nervous about trip), related to my allergies (which have been bad) or something worse.  Anyone ever get this?  Thanks.
Yes, could be your allergies have stopped up some sinus cavities, which can cause pain in the head, or could also be the stress, it falls in the shoulders, and the shoulder muscles go up into the head.  Get you some plain saline spray at the drugstore and squirt it in your nose a few times a day, it will help drain it, and also drink extra water for a couple days, helps break up mucous.  And get a friend or relative to rub out your shoulders real good a couple times in the next day or so, might also bring relief.  For general good feelings, sit on the floor in a quiet room and practice deep breathing, think of nothing else but breathing in real deep, blowing it out, breathe normally a few times, and repeat ten times.  Then lay flat on the floor with legs bent, and just listen to the quiet and let your thoughts go to a place you really like to be.  This kind of meditation will calm you down and improve your sense of well-being.
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

There are possibilities like migrainous, cluster, tension and refractive errors that need to be evaluated thoroughly with the help of a neurologist here. Migraine like headache can be throbbing, one sided of face & head and preceded by aura (starts with blurred vision). Cluster headache may appear as burning, explosive in nature and tear appears from eyes. Tension headache originates with stress and anxiety disorder. On the other hand, there are patients who experience similar pain with sinusitis (sinus with infected mucus) and neuralgia. Please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the further underlying disorders by clinically examine you & ordering MRI or CT scan here that may be the main reasons of your headache attacks & other symptoms and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Hope this information proves helpful to you. Take Care & Regards!!!