Neurology Expert Forum
Stabbing pain then duller pain lasts for hours

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

For the past 2 weeks I keep getting sharp, shooting, throbbing pain in the back of my head on the left side. The sharp pains originate from the back and shoot to the front and behind my left eye and ear.  After the sharp pains, I have a bad headache, duller than the sharp pains but still very, very bad that lasts for hours. This pain stays mostly at the top and front of my head, behind my left eye and ear and temple area. The duller pain is still throbbing - I can feel my heart beat it in. I also feel a fullness in my head, deep in my head. Pain relievers don't help. The whole thing starts during periods of activity - when my blood pressure is up (I don't have high blood pressure normally). The pain is so bad I HAVE to stop what I am doing.  Don't have any other symptoms like numbness, blurred vision, speach problems. Just the pain. Had one again last night during intimacy. Took aspirin and this morning, I still have a dull ache on the left side, top of head and above left eye. I am female, 39, pack a day smoker. Before this, I very rarely got a headache and when did - always very minor. These episodes started out of no where - during intimacy 2 weeks ago. During the day, at work, when I'm relaxing, I don't get these - it's only when I'm active that they start. I've read about migraines and cluster headaches and I don't have most of the symptoms that go with those. My left nostral does become a bit clogged after the sharp pains end but not that bad. No watery eyes, no pre-migraine aura. Any thoughts would be most helpful. Thanks.
You need to talk with your primary care doctor to begin with. This could represent a form of exertional headache. This is a type of headache which is triggered by activity. You will most likely need a MRI of your brain to exclude abnormalities. The headaches will most likely not respond to over the counter agents, and will require a stronger anti-inflammatory. Seeing a neurologist who specializes in headaches would also be reasonable. Good luck.
Toni,
I am not medically qualified but based on what you describe, you may be experiencing "ice pick" headaches and/or vascular headaches(migraine equivalent).  I have suffered from classic migraines (with aura) for years and also find that "over the counter" pain killers have little or no effect on the pain......Chris
I too had pains like these, and went to every doc under the sun to try and find help (to no avail).. a friend's wife who is a physical therapist examined me one day, and insisted that it was coming from the muscles in my neck and around the side of my head. When these muscles are tight or tense, they press on the nerves, which causes pain and can REFER pain around the head. I used to get them very sharply- if I would turn my head quickly, or bend down, I would feel a shooting pain in the front or other side of my head. I also got burning sensations..It made no sense to me! I was very stressed at the time, so it was probably all interconnected. But ongoing PT did help. Maybe try and see a therapist and have them palpate different parts of the neck/head to see if it elicits any kind of pain..even if its just to rule things out..good luck!
I have the same exact symptoms, except it's when I am in a more relaxed state.  Usually when I am sleeping, it has been waking me up, like now, or in the first part of the day, then it somewhat subsides as I become more active.  My question is, have you found out what is going on with the question you posed?