Neurology Community
Stiff Person Syndrome

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Stiff Person Syndrome

I have been living with Stiff Person Syndrome for a year and i want to know if there is anyone out there with this disease and if so what type of pain regimine are you on and does it work?
Hi ioanna72,
I have had stiff person's for five years and have learned some range of motion exercises, as opposed to all out stretches, from my physical therapy provided.   I also believe it is imperative that you would get some massage. I get approximately one hour per week, and it is golden.   If I do not get this massage on my legs and back I suffer from the tin man effect
and fall down all to often.  My hope for you is that you can find somebody who can give  you the massage without charging you too much money.
My wife was diagnosed with SMS a year ago. She is on Valium and this had made her life 100 times better. She also subscribes to a forum with people with SMS and receives a lot of good info.
http://www.livingwithsps.com/l-support.html  
I need to talk with someone about Stiff Person Syndrome.  Is there anyone out here that is still participating in this discussion?  

Please help!

QBee
i been told i got stiff person syndrome but am wheelchair bound. Is there anyone out there that still in this discussion as need to talk to someone
My mom has breast cancer and we think she now has this syndrome - how do you test for it?  We live in Frisco, TX - she will be going in for a mastectomy in August, needs a knee replacement, has a drop foot in her left leg and cannot walk at all from being in the hospital for almost 3 months now and in bed most of the time......just looking for help and some answers - she is in physical rehab now, but can't even stand up.....
Ask the doctor for a GAD-65 blood test. The higher the number,the worse,is how it was told to me.

Prednizone, volume , baculem-sp? And pain medicine are necessary. And don't over do any thing. Quiet is also good,and MOST IMPORTANT.....LITTLE AS POSSIBLE STRESS.  LOL

If you have this and the other diseases that usually come with it, there will be little chance of les stress.

Good luck everyone :-)